The Health 'n' Fitness Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Re: The Health 'n' Fitness Thread

Postby NeglectedField » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:23 pm

Maaay have overdone it. Back did not like what I subjected it to but rather than pain it just generally feels a bit compacted in the upper area with a very mild but not overbearing burning sensation. The kinda thing where I bet I'm gonna wake up in agony and/or paralysed tomorrow.

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:50 am

First session with my PT next Tuesday,he's going to utterly burst me.
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Lunasee
Lowly Peon

Postby Lunasee » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:18 pm

NeglectedField wrote:Maaay have overdone it. Back did not like what I subjected it to but rather than pain it just generally feels a bit compacted in the upper area with a very mild but not overbearing burning sensation. The kinda thing where I bet I'm gonna wake up in agony and/or paralysed tomorrow.

You know what they say, no pain no gain xD

Btw, what exercise did you do to get your back aching? I usually do a few planks and need to ensure you have a straight line to not leave your back susceptible.

V-Man
Paster of Muppets

Postby V-Man » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:36 pm

NeglectedField wrote:Maaay have overdone it. Back did not like what I subjected it to but rather than pain it just generally feels a bit compacted in the upper area with a very mild but not overbearing burning sensation. The kinda thing where I bet I'm gonna wake up in agony and/or paralysed tomorrow.

When I put that one deadlift picture on facebook back in December loads of people immediately started messaging me to try and tell me I should change to this work out schedule or that lifting pattern or start eating 9000 calories of cheese burgers a day. One person messaged to tell me that I should hire a PT because its the best investment they ever made, another person messaged me to say all PTs are crooks and no one should even consider getting one. Now I basically keep it to myself because everyone on earth that ever picked up a barbell or saw a stick of chalk thinks that they are a phd qualified sports scientist. Mention to your friends that think they lift that you have back pain from lifting and see how long it takes for them to start correcting you on your lifting form without ever even seeing you in the gym.
I used to have a link to a social networking site here but these days you all probably already know who I am.

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:05 pm

Yeah, the whole scene is just "you're doing it wrong brah!" Granted, there are wrong ways to do things but really it's better to trust those professionals who can provide scientific rationale such as Mark Rippetoe and not just any old douche.

I definitely must have done something wrong though, ever since said session I referred to above, I've had mild discomfort sleeping and woken up with pain in my lower back (though hard to tell if it's that or the kidneys) which has decreased somewhat. It's hard to tell whether it's just prolonged DOMS or if I've legit done unto myself. Hopefully the former because I've set myself a much more structured routine this year.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:37 pm

I do feel that where gym stuff is concerned, it's mostly just attempts at a money grab, because the only "big secret" to Health and Fitness is that there fucking isn't one, and moderation and consistency are the only real ways to improve shit.

Kinda similar to nutrition, where you see conflicting information come out of various professionals every fart's end.

Obviously there are some things which work a little bit better, or foods that are a little bit healthier, but I am yet to see any "superfood" or "super workout" worth even half the hype.
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:07 am

My PT has advised on general calorie/protein/carb/fat intake per day. Obviously not an exact science but I'm struggling to hit the protein mark.

On top of that my stomach issues that went away are unfortunately returning. My diet wasn;t exactly shit but over the past few weeks I;ve increased protein a bit, cut out alcohol and general shite so it can't really be that seeing as this been returning sporadically for a few months.

As lovely as this sounds I'm fed up of getting an uncomfortable stomach followed by vicious sulphur belches.

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:07 pm

On the health side, my surgery that was cancelled on the 6th is still on track to go ahead on the 31st. I'll be glad to get it over and done with, I can't live with the pain much longer. I'll cry if they cancel it again.

On the fitness side, the recommendation is six weeks after abdominal surgery before resuming exercise. :(
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:23 pm

Rang for a GP appointment with a specific time request and they booked me in for an appointment next Tuesday. What is this sorcery, last time I had to wait 3 weeks :lol: ...by which time the original problem had gone and another had surfaced.

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:41 pm

Body has figured out what exercise is again after starting running in the mornings a couple of weeks ago. Feeling pretty good about it. Also started doing some free weights again at home to get some tone back. Not sure if there is enough time to commit to going to the gym again, but it's nice to have dropped at least a couple of inches around the waist.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:31 pm

Bisset wrote:My PT has advised on general calorie/protein/carb/fat intake per day. Obviously not an exact science but I'm struggling to hit the protein mark.

On top of that my stomach issues that went away are unfortunately returning. My diet wasn;t exactly shit but over the past few weeks I;ve increased protein a bit, cut out alcohol and general shite so it can't really be that seeing as this been returning sporadically for a few months.

As lovely as this sounds I'm fed up of getting an uncomfortable stomach followed by vicious sulphur belches.

That sounds 100% like what happened to me. Are you doing a particularly intense ab workout? For me the strain was what did it, I think I damaged the esophageal sphincter from doing lots of hanging leg raises.

Was an awesome exercise though, lead to me being the best at planking in the whole gym
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:27 am

I've really not been on a high ab workout, I've started beasting it recently but this issue has been happening for a while. I can mainly attribute it to the increase in protein and my body basically going "what the fuck are you putting into me?!"

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:44 pm

Doctor's got me in Thursday for a blood test. Am gonna have to take afternoon off work because nurse can't do it after a certain time. Bit of a pain but I'm actually kinda impressed they've acted so fast.

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:26 am

Third session with the PT last night. Leg Day.

Oh sweet mercy, I am in so much pain today.

edward123
Lowly Peon

Postby edward123 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:16 pm

Danroush wrote:I do feel that where gym stuff is concerned, it's mostly just attempts at a money grab, because the only "big secret" to Health and Fitness is that there fucking isn't one, and moderation and consistency are the only real ways to balance board shit.

Kinda similar to nutrition, where you see conflicting information come out of various professionals every fart's end.

Obviously there are some things which work a little bit better, or foods that are a little bit healthier, but I am yet to see any "superfood" or "super workout" worth even half the hype.

Hi,
My weight is about 60 kg and height is about 5.7". I want to know what should be the diet routine. I have to follow....