The Health 'n' Fitness Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
georgebailey96
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: The Health 'n' Fitness Thread

Postby georgebailey96 » Mon May 20, 2013 7:53 pm

I enjoyed it when I did it, but then I was enjoying the benefits, not the work, then i enjoyed none of it.
A video of a "psychic fighter"'s imaginary kicks to the face, not being as good as real kicks to the face
http://www.last.fm/user/Georgebailey96
skull-wart wrote:I shit leather and drink denim.

georgebailey96
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby georgebailey96 » Mon May 20, 2013 7:59 pm

There's the odd occassion I will enjoy a good run, or playing basket ball or something, but more often than not, lifting stuff at work and drumming do fine for me.
A video of a "psychic fighter"'s imaginary kicks to the face, not being as good as real kicks to the face
http://www.last.fm/user/Georgebailey96
skull-wart wrote:I shit leather and drink denim.

PoonLagoonGuy23
Consort of the Beast

Postby PoonLagoonGuy23 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:55 pm

At the start of weight training a year ago it was all about trying to change how I looked but after a couple of weeks when I had learn't technique, good form, and the different array of workouts/exercises I started to really enjoy myself.

Every time I go to the gym I try to out do what I had done the previous week and to see positive improvements by either moving up weight or doing more reps just gives a great feeling of personal achievement. To not compare myself to others would be lying though, but at the same time I think the sense of competition spurs me on to try harder.

With regards to mentality, it has sorta fucked with me abit but its not all negative. Take this weekend for example - Friday night consisted of KFC, Saturday I got royally pissed at Suffocation gig and ended up ordering myself 2 large pizzas which I consumed that night/next day, and then sunday I had a whole day of laying in bed, having no nutritious food, a chinese, and drunk very little water. Went to bed that night feeling incredibly guilty and questioning whether there was any point going to the gym ever again. Felt like a waste of space and that I'd really let myself down. Weird to think that I guess... :?

I've been told its OCD, I've been told its unhealthy, I've been told I should get a life. In all honesty, I think fitness has added to my life in so many positive ways and above all its really fun!

Might pluck up the courage to post a progress picture some day, too embarassed atm though and have never tried a 'muscular pose' before :lol:

Freyja
Denim Demon

Postby Freyja » Tue May 21, 2013 11:31 am

Managed to do 40 squats in 4 minutes last night. I surprise myself! 30 day squat challenge now seems a lot less daunting. Legs are a bit sore today though :lol:
Littlemissmetal wrote:I'm 21 and have never touched mine :eyes:

http://blackmetalwine.wordpress.com/

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Mon May 27, 2013 9:38 am

TheLotusEater193 wrote:You need to do more than walk! You'd be better off running a mile quickly. Humans are designed to walk so we're really efficient and therefore burn barely anything walking. You need to ruuuuuun! (or do anything that really raises your heart rate)

On saying that obviously walking is better than nothing and considering those are good distances it's a good starting point :D

But running is shit :P shin splints, shitty weak ankles, and not having money for good quality trainers are a few of the many reasons I don't like running.

PoonLagoonGuy23 wrote:Yeah I'm happy with the strength gains I've made but I seriously don't look like I can lift anything like that. Just find that putting on size and actually gaining weight is the hardest thing ever! Only gone up like 3kg in a year and I must be getting at least 3500 cals on most days. Train in a 6-12 rep range on most stuff except for compound strength shit. Where am I going wrong?!

Generally what others have said, but also I would suggest perhaps doing a higher amount of reps? I tend to do a set of 20 then one of 10 on things (or 20+15+10 at a higher weight + 5 at a higher weight than the 10) which works well to both tone and build together.

kanet666 wrote:I want to be fitter and have a better muscle:body fat ratio, not to an extreme point mind. Every time I finally get into a rhythm I seem to pick up an injury that disrupts me. It's infuriating.

Hopefully I'm going to make biking it up Beacon Hill a regular thing.

Oh god, first time I went on bloody Dean's lane (IIRC) it felt endless!

Try going to Bradgate park too, it's not far from Loughborough, about 10 miles from the city centre, although it's about 10 miles of solid uphill if you go the way I used to, mind :lol:
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Mon May 27, 2013 10:35 am

Danroush wrote:
TheLotusEater193 wrote:You need to do more than walk! You'd be better off running a mile quickly. Humans are designed to walk so we're really efficient and therefore burn barely anything walking. You need to ruuuuuun! (or do anything that really raises your heart rate)

On saying that obviously walking is better than nothing and considering those are good distances it's a good starting point :D

But running is shit :P shin splints, shitty weak ankles, and not having money for good quality trainers are a few of the many reasons I don't like running.

Then swim?

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Mon May 27, 2013 10:51 am

Or live somewhere super hilly like where I do. Walking anywhere here is a good way to get some exercise in.
Turbo wrote:One day I'll get around to tasting Pussy.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Mon May 27, 2013 11:05 am

Danroush wrote:
kanet666 wrote:I want to be fitter and have a better muscle:body fat ratio, not to an extreme point mind. Every time I finally get into a rhythm I seem to pick up an injury that disrupts me. It's infuriating.

Hopefully I'm going to make biking it up Beacon Hill a regular thing.

Oh god, first time I went on bloody Dean's lane (IIRC) it felt endless!

Try going to Bradgate park too, it's not far from Loughborough, about 10 miles from the city centre, although it's about 10 miles of solid uphill if you go the way I used to, mind :lol:

Yeah, Dean Lane is absolute killer! Coming back down it is awesome fun though. I need to fix my bike before I go up anything bigger, it's been locked on a gear for ages, makes going up hills (especially those like Dean Lane) almost impossible (but not quite).
Last edited by kanet666 on Mon May 27, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Mon May 27, 2013 11:55 am

Put all my weight back on, I find it so hard to keep it off :(
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Mon May 27, 2013 2:34 pm

Moonburp wrote:
Danroush wrote:

Then swim?

It wasn't me asking for advice... but yes I do agree swimming is good, I do need to get back into the habit, haven't been in a pool since my lifeguarding course last summer
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

PoonLagoonGuy23
Consort of the Beast

Postby PoonLagoonGuy23 » Fri May 31, 2013 5:07 am

Downloaded an app called fitocracy. Best workout tracker I've used. On top of allowing you to record your workout it sets you challenges and you go up levels as you progress. Also has a pretty cool community aspect where you can follow friends and see how they're getting on. All in all a pretty nifty app. Think it has a website too.

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Fri May 31, 2013 8:51 am

PoonLagoonGuy23 wrote:Downloaded an app called fitocracy. Best workout tracker I've used. On top of allowing you to record your workout it sets you challenges and you go up levels as you progress. Also has a pretty cool community aspect where you can follow friends and see how they're getting on. All in all a pretty nifty app. Think it has a website too.

What's your username? :D

PoonLagoonGuy23
Consort of the Beast

Postby PoonLagoonGuy23 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:18 pm

Moonburp wrote:
PoonLagoonGuy23 wrote:Downloaded an app called fitocracy. Best workout tracker I've used. On top of allowing you to record your workout it sets you challenges and you go up levels as you progress. Also has a pretty cool community aspect where you can follow friends and see how they're getting on. All in all a pretty nifty app. Think it has a website too.

What's your username? :D

Guyzo :) I assume yours is Moonburp? I'll follow.

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:00 pm

quite pleased with myself, Thursday, yesterday and today I've ran 4, 4.2 and 7.2 km without needing to stop. Now given a fortnight ago or whenever it was I made it about 200m, I'm quite pleased with that.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Kami
Leather Rebel

Postby Kami » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:02 pm

Good shout on that Fitocracy app, I've just taken a look at it and it looks pretty cool.
I'm running 1000km (6 Marathons, 26 Half Marathons & 20 10ks) this year so sponsor me ya bastards!