The Health 'n' Fitness Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
peypea
Denim Demon

Re: The Health 'n' Fitness Thread

Postby peypea » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:23 pm

I've never ever tried them! I really want to, I know I'd fail. My upper body strength was brilliant when I was little, but nowadays I think not so much.
Turbo wrote:One day I'll get around to tasting Pussy.

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:26 pm

Well the beauty of pull up bars are that you can just put one up in your house so every time you walk by you're like "yeah? ok!" and get better by barely having to put any time in! (Great for lazy people such as myself)

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:40 pm

I used to be very sporty at school, was a regular in the school football and cricket teams, occasionally the basketball team and used to do county cross country plus a few track athletics events and cycled. Left school and stopped doing all of the stuff and got fatter.

I'd started back up running and doing push ups and sit ups but again stopped a week or so ago. I'll start up again in the next couple of days but I've just been too busy.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Kami
Leather Rebel

Postby Kami » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:18 pm

I used to play team sports, I played in football teams up until the age of 16. I was never really that good, and being massively overweight barely played anyway.

I still enjoyed PE at school though, in fact I kind of regret how much I enjoyed it now as I never really built on it as much as I would have liked to now.

But yeah, if there is a football kicking around at BOA I'll probably be up for a kick about.

As for what I do nowadays, it is pretty much just lots and lots of running. I used to hit the gym regularly 3 days a week, but for monetary reasons and because of all the running I'm doing this year I decided to cancel my membership.

I still try to do two weight training sessions a week in my garage when I find time though.
I'm running 1000km (6 Marathons, 26 Half Marathons & 20 10ks) this year so sponsor me ya bastards!

VirginInvader
Denim Demon

Postby VirginInvader » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Sports were like my favourite things ever until I became a fat drunk cunt. I played cricket and football to county standard, and a fair bit of club rugby. Still play the odd Sunday league game now and then, but it's not a regular thing. Never really got into 5-a-side. Partly because I'm a defender and 5-a-side tends to play to my weaknesses and overlook my strengths, but I really enjoy the tactical and teamwork elements of the game with 11 players a side that I think 5-a-side reduces significantly.

I've been boxing for about 6 months now, although not much lately as I shagged my wrist tendons and snapped the first metacarpal in my left hand. I'll have to stop altogether now I have a job too I guess, I don't suppose it'll do to be showing up with black eyes, broken noses and missing teeth. It's a shame, because I fucking love it too.

As much as I've enjoyed boxing though, I really miss the camaraderie and character building you get from playing team sports. I've fancied playing hockey for years now, I really like the idea of standing up for your team-mates, enforcing a code of conduct and fighting for the name on the front of the jersey as opposed to the one on the back. Unfortunately none of my attempts at learning to skate have been hugely successful, so I guess that'll just remain a pipe dream for now :lol:
Seven Sisters - Proper Heavy Metal from London Town. Upcoming shows:

23/05 - Heavy Sound Festival, Poperinge, Belgium
18/07- Metalbrew, London
01/08 - The Black Heart, London
29/08- No Sleep 'Til Dublin

VirginInvader
Denim Demon

Postby VirginInvader » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:38 pm

Oh, sort of missed the original point of the thread there. In terms of what I do in the way of fitness stuff, very little. I run five miles every morning (unless I'm hanging), and I lift a few weights and stuff at home. It's made little if any difference though, I'm still pretty scrawny. I prefer going to the gym, putting on some gloves and hitting a bag than doing any serious fitness work, which probably just about sums me up these days.

18/07- Metalbrew, London

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:06 am

peypea wrote:Phwoar. Hello :love:
Your arms. I want them.

:oops: Thanks! :D Not for sale, though. ;)

Moonburp wrote:
VizardAmata wrote:(Linked due to image size)

Do you have a permit for those guns?

:lol: Why yes, yes I do.

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:15 am

Started swimming when I'm at the hotel but while I'm home I'm trying running and doing weights. I'm not a member of a gym (can't be arsed) and I dislike exercising with other folk as I prefer to go my own pace etc. I also walk pretty much everywhere

I think I'm going to do the thing where I take a photo every week, I'm not fat but sitting at a desk all day and night with alcohol has rendered a belly and it might help me get shot of it
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:07 pm

Does anyone swim for clubs/teams here? It seems that after university level, it's really hard to find competitive swimming clubs for adults :?

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:33 pm

Moonburp wrote:Yeah, this was coming for a while as it kept popping up in other threads.

So whatcha do? Been curious as to whether anyone does any team based sports on the forum? Anyone game for some 5-a-side at BOA this year? :P

Discuss, share, encourage.

Definitely up for a game at bloodstock, assuming we call no new rocks and other similar boots?

I aim to go the gym twice a week but usually only end up once a week, do about an hour of weights/resistance machines (starting low weight high rep then building to high weight low rep: tone what you have, then build on it), and about half an hour of cardio. I generally echo what Neil said about opportunities to play dwindling, even at uni I struggle to find any (partly thanks to the actual clubs being shite at letting people know when trials etc are).
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

VirginInvader
Denim Demon

Postby VirginInvader » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:07 pm

Been talked into having one more fight being taking a sabbatical. I'm glad really, as my hand/wrist have finally recovered to the extent where I can actually train and lift weights and stuff again, so it'd be a shame to just walk away after all the physio shit I had to do.

18/07- Metalbrew, London

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:53 am

Anybody on Fitocracy?

Swimming with the team for the first time on Monday. Proper nervous.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:07 am

After getting back to the gym on a regular basis a couple of months ago I was starting to dip in how often I went but just kick started myself up to going regularly again, results showing already :D
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Kylan_Paassa
Denim Demon

Postby Kylan_Paassa » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:43 pm

Ghost wrote:I think people's Abs photo should be compulsory in this thread ha ha.

I've been taking photos every few days to mark my progress but always thought it would be a bit strange to post them on here. If no one is averse to it I could do a little photo timeline over the last 2 months or so :lol: what I'm essentially trying to do at the minute is tone up and build muscle whilst ensuring that I am eating right/more regularly/more than usual in a bid to get "bigger" I guess. I am lucky enough to already be into what most people would consider healthy food so that isn't too much of a problem.
As far as working out goes I've just been following Insanity and I walk about 2 miles to work more or less every day so that helps.
I love certain sports, particularly tennis and other similar things like table tennis, badminton though I have never played squash. My talents in school seemed to lie mainly in cross country and general running. I also really like basketball but was never keen on playing football or rugby.
Although I do none of these now, but I would love to find some groups etc around where I live to start again.
RedTeamWins wrote:
Turbo wrote:I presented the goods and I got no reply. Good job this isnt ebay.

A+++ EXCELLENT MOOBS, WOULD VIEW AGAIN.

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Thu May 16, 2013 1:20 pm

I'm horribly unhealthy now that I realise how much everyone else does :lol: I try to go to the gym but not whilst exams are on - that and I don't have many friends so team sports would be a bit lonely with just the couple of us...
Andrewhall28 wrote:Yep, unlike King, Labrie can actually sing