What has made you happy today

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
User avatar
Smindas
Denim Demon
Posts: 7936
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:40 pm

Re: What has made you happy today

Postby Smindas » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:31 pm

Moonburp wrote:
Smindas wrote:To be fair, it took me ages to check out Somewhere Out In Space and Power Plant. I had the box set of the first six albums for a year before I did - clearly Heaven Can Wait and Land of the Free were all I needed at the time, haha.

God, I love Gamma Ray.

I need Heaven Can Wait and will probably buy it*.


*When I get bored of Heaven or Hell, which is unlikely ever to happen.

Gah, not 'Heaven Can Wait', I meant Heading For Tomorrow. The former is a stellar track on that album. My bad.

User avatar
Moonburp
Denim Demon
Posts: 15325
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: What has made you happy today

Postby Moonburp » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:32 pm

Smindas wrote:
Moonburp wrote:
Smindas wrote:To be fair, it took me ages to check out Somewhere Out In Space and Power Plant. I had the box set of the first six albums for a year before I did - clearly Heaven Can Wait and Land of the Free were all I needed at the time, haha.

God, I love Gamma Ray.

I need Heaven Can Wait and will probably buy it*.


*When I get bored of Heaven or Hell, which is unlikely ever to happen.

Gah, not 'Heaven Can Wait', I meant Heading For Tomorrow. The former is a stellar track on that album. My bad.

I wondered why I couldn't find it :lol: I recognised the name anyway :oops:

User avatar
Bisset
Denim Demon
Posts: 4322
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:08 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: What has made you happy today

Postby Bisset » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:35 pm

Smindas wrote:I thought Land of the Free II was pretty 'meh', honestly. It had some great moments, but it wasn't great overall. Twas a major step down from Majestic, at least.


While I don't think LotF2 was great (a few awesome songs) I thought it pissed over Majestic - I did not like that album save a few songs. I have to say the new one is growing on me, even the title track. Still won't beat No World Order! though
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

User avatar
Twaddlefish
Denim Demon
Posts: 8157
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: York, baby

Re: What has made you happy today

Postby Twaddlefish » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:43 pm

I'd highly recommend Blast From The Past, has re-recordings of the early stuff with Kai singing, blatantly how he wanted it to sound in the first place.

SOIS, LotF and Powerplant are the main three you need, then get Majestic and NWO in that order. The latter of those two sticks to safety too much, Majestic has some really cool stuff on.
Littlemissmetal wrote:Women are stupid, as a rule.



Latest review: Ensiferum - Unsung Heroes

User avatar
Smindas
Denim Demon
Posts: 7936
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:40 pm

Re: What has made you happy today

Postby Smindas » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:48 pm

Twaddlefish wrote:I'd highly recommend Blast From The Past, has re-recordings of the early stuff with Kai singing, blatantly how he wanted it to sound in the first place.

SOIS, LotF and Powerplant are the main three you need, then get Majestic and NWO in that order. The latter of those two sticks to safety too much, Majestic has some really cool stuff on.

I'd agree with this, except replace SOIS with Heading for Tomorrow. But then, I'm not hugely keen on the former, as I already said. Something about it is just a bit dull compared to the others.

User avatar
NeglectedField
Denim Demon
Posts: 7999
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:08 pm
Location: Bristol (non-native)

Re: What has made you happy today

Postby NeglectedField » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:48 pm

Woo, one more bottle of Rekorderlig in the fridge!

User avatar
Twaddlefish
Denim Demon
Posts: 8157
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: York, baby

Re: What has made you happy today

Postby Twaddlefish » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:51 pm

Smindas wrote:
Twaddlefish wrote:I'd highly recommend Blast From The Past, has re-recordings of the early stuff with Kai singing, blatantly how he wanted it to sound in the first place.

SOIS, LotF and Powerplant are the main three you need, then get Majestic and NWO in that order. The latter of those two sticks to safety too much, Majestic has some really cool stuff on.

I'd agree with this, except replace SOIS with Heading for Tomorrow. But then, I'm not hugely keen on the former, as I already said. Something about it is just a bit dull compared to the others.


Fair enough. To be honest, HfT has Sail On, and the terrifying 'Free Time'. :lol:
Littlemissmetal wrote:Women are stupid, as a rule.



Latest review: Ensiferum - Unsung Heroes

User avatar
deeno
Slayer of Wimps/Posers
Posts: 906
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:07 pm
Location: Stockport
Contact:

Re: What has made you happy today

Postby deeno » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:52 pm

I am off home

User avatar
Moonburp
Denim Demon
Posts: 15325
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: What has made you happy today

Postby Moonburp » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:53 pm

I only discovered Gamma Ray in about October or something, but still awesome. I loved their Wacken set without knowing what they were playing :lol:

User avatar
Smindas
Denim Demon
Posts: 7936
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:40 pm

Re: What has made you happy today

Postby Smindas » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:56 pm

Twaddlefish wrote:
Smindas wrote:
Twaddlefish wrote:I'd highly recommend Blast From The Past, has re-recordings of the early stuff with Kai singing, blatantly how he wanted it to sound in the first place.

SOIS, LotF and Powerplant are the main three you need, then get Majestic and NWO in that order. The latter of those two sticks to safety too much, Majestic has some really cool stuff on.

I'd agree with this, except replace SOIS with Heading for Tomorrow. But then, I'm not hugely keen on the former, as I already said. Something about it is just a bit dull compared to the others.


Fair enough. To be honest, HfT has Sail On, and the terrifying 'Free Time'. :lol:

'Free Time' truly is one of the things I adore. 'Money' is fucking jokes as well. Heading for Tomorrow is sort of like if Kai Hansen tried to write Michael Weikath styled songs - it reminds me a lot of Keepers II, which was mainly Weiki.

User avatar
RedTeamWins
Denim Demon
Posts: 8970
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:32 am
Location: SPACE!

Re: What has made you happy today

Postby RedTeamWins » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:03 pm

Finally getting hold of my shexy new glasses.

User avatar
metalsam
Denim Demon
Posts: 3424
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Bristol / London
Contact:

Re: What has made you happy today

Postby metalsam » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:03 pm

Moonburp wrote:I only discovered Gamma Ray in about October or something, but still awesome. I loved their Wacken set without knowing what they were playing :lol:


I quite like seeing a band sometimes without properly hearing any of their stuff beforehand. 8)

User avatar
callumascott
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: What has made you happy today

Postby callumascott » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:07 pm

Home from uni and with a functioning computer again :)

User avatar
MotorAmarth
Denim Demon
Posts: 6435
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:25 pm
Location: St Helens/Swansea
Contact:

Re: What has made you happy today

Postby MotorAmarth » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:09 pm

No college for 2 weeks
Spending 2 weeks with my Aled from tomorrow
Just ordered David Bowie and Thin Lizzy DVD's from CD WOW with the free vouchers I got
And I'm about to spend my remaining free HMV vouchers
EDIT: Live Motorhead DVD ordered :yes:

Good day, good day
Last edited by MotorAmarth on Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Jage wrote:I don't like the sound of Mark Owen's voice in Priest.

Turbo
Denim Demon
Posts: 14065
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 3:05 pm
Location: Solihull, WM.
Contact:

Re: What has made you happy today

Postby Turbo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:22 pm

Moonburp wrote:I only discovered Gamma Ray in about October or something, but still awesome. I loved their Wacken set without knowing what they were playing :lol:




Wacken set was incredible.




Bath time. I need a quiet 30 minutes. Nearly the weekend. Just tomorrows shift then getting pissed.