What has made you happy today

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Nantha
Denim Demon

Re: What has made you happy today

Postby Nantha » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:38 pm

So good and bad news, I suppose.
Boss just had a chat with me and said it'll be quiet in the new year so they won't need me for the first couple of weeks, but they will keep me on freelance. So I assume that means they won't be hiring another receptionist...? And i've got the job? :? :)
Seems to be the case, I guess i'll find out in a few weeks if and when I get a phonecall.
Kind of fed up of relying on freelance work though, it's good pay but there's no security. I'd be terrified to start renting somewhere in case my income dried up :(

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:49 pm

Nantha wrote:So good and bad news, I suppose.
Boss just had a chat with me and said it'll be quiet in the new year so they won't need me for the first couple of weeks, but they will keep me on freelance. So I assume that means they won't be hiring another receptionist...? And i've got the job? :? :)
Seems to be the case, I guess i'll find out in a few weeks if and when I get a phonecall.
Kind of fed up of relying on freelance work though, it's good pay but there's no security. I'd be terrified to start renting somewhere in case my income dried up :(

I'm a temp/contractor atm, and tbh I much prefer it to being permanent - as you say the money's way better than being permanent, plus you have much more freedom and no hideously long notice periods to serve (my last job had a 3 month notice period!!).

Was brougth on for this job on a 2 month contract and its been extended to 6 months now and hopefully longer than that, and I've found that my my contracts nearly always get extended like this, so lack of security has never really been an issue....that can be different in different jobs though of course.

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:30 pm

Last day before I visit the rents for xmas, looks like curry's on the cards tonight. Also just learned how to get all the nonstandard characters on my phone without going into a different mode. I'm an idiot.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:45 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
Nantha wrote:So good and bad news, I suppose.

I'm a temp/contractor atm, and tbh I much prefer it to being permanent - as you say the money's way better than being permanent, plus you have much more freedom and no hideously long notice periods to serve (my last job had a 3 month notice period!!).

Was brougth on for this job on a 2 month contract and its been extended to 6 months now and hopefully longer than that, and I've found that my my contracts nearly always get extended like this, so lack of security has never really been an issue....that can be different in different jobs though of course.

The freedom is great I agree, I love the fact I can take a holiday anytime and pick and choose between work, but it's not quite the same as temping. I rely on odd work from several companies, sometimes it's great, I'll get a fulltime stretch for a few weeks, but other times it can be nothing at all, or just a couple of jobs here and there, it's very much seasonally dependant too.
Ideally I'd like to carry on as I am but also run a small reliable business, which I can manage during quieter times... something creative would be great, just something that I didn't have to rely on anyone else for (bar clients/customers). Been thinking about maybe doing some writing/PR stuff, but not sure how to get into it...

Freyja
Denim Demon

Postby Freyja » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:21 pm

Christmas cake is now fully iced, with icing I made myself!
Also, I appear to have some rather exciting work lined up with a very distinguished academic and doctor! :D
Littlemissmetal wrote:I'm 21 and have never touched mine :eyes:

http://blackmetalwine.wordpress.com/

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:35 pm

Found my new favourite subreddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/corgi

Womble
Denim Demon

Postby Womble » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:54 pm

http://www.reddit.com/r/RandomActsOfChr ... mas_unite/

If you're going to do anything today, check this out.

Basically, some blokes from reddit arranged for a guy with an Iron Man costume to make a Merry Christmas video for a 13 year old with Down Syndrome. The link above contains the video, Cameron's reaction to the video and a video of him saying Merry Christmas back to Iron Man. Apparently, he doesn't make many facial expressions normally, but you can just see his face light up when he sees Iron Man.

Made me tear up like a mothertrucker.

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:55 pm

New This Town Needs Guns track is fucking amazing. And the album is going to be awesome.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/12/n ... -premiere/

x-tempus
Leather Rebel

Postby x-tempus » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:31 pm

not realising until today that Kreator have done a cover of Number of the Beast
Fjar wrote:"Open up, love. I know you don't like it, but it's good for you!"

De Stijl wrote:One rule for vegetables, another rule for cock.
DOUBLE STANDARDS

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:28 pm

Woooooo, typing this on an early Christmas present to ourselves :D A nice shiny Microsoft Surface!
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Stumbled across the Facebook profile of this guy from Year 7 in school who was extremely popular and basically the coolest guy in our tutor group if not the whole year. We used to chat about metal stuff a lot (although obviously it was very mainstream stuff), but he was only about for that one year before fucking off to King Edwards. So, turns out he now lives in Texas. Thought I'd have a little poke around and he's totally into Lantlos, WITTR, Alcest and loads of other BM type stuff. I knew he'd be into his metal but not that invested in finding good bands like that.

I would add him but when he came to visit one day in like year 11, he didn't seem to give a shit about me. That and he has only one mutual friend so, whatever.

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:52 am

Had a massage. Can't move, so relaxed.

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:46 am

Two weeks off work :D So much choice of what to do, I don't know what to do first! So here I am instead.

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:01 pm

I'm going to get totally smashed tonight while wearing a sexy santa dress with some people from work.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:08 pm

keera_envenomed wrote:I'm going to get totally smashed tonight while wearing a sexy santa dress with some people from work.

POIDH.