What pissed you off today

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Jim
Denim Demon

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby Jim » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:27 pm

Music industry is collapsing yes, but people will always still go for music in some way.

Do what you need to do to get money for now (agencies, office temp work, etc), but always use what you've learnt over the past 5 years by keeping an eye/ear/foot out for something different, some other, brand new, really fucking whacky solution or some other way for people to enjoy/get involved/pay for music.

Collapsing industries are time for opportunities, where small ideas can become huge very quickly.

Mind empty? Here's a tip-off: crowdfunding is gaining loads of momentum at the minute. Ginger from Wildhearts did a project with funding via pledgemusic (http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/gingerwildheart) - where users contribute to the funding of a music project. Totally unheard of (maybe), brand new way to look at the music industry.

That's the kind of shit the industry needs!
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:37 pm

Nuts to that, i've already had my idea to make millions from the music industry. I'm going to write a really simple song to play in 'da clubs' called something retarded like 'How we do' Stick a simple or 'phat' beat to some truly retarded lyrics with awful grammar, then sit back and watch all of the sub-human mongs go wild for it while I bathe in their money. This all came to me when I did it in a dream, and it worked. I had the entire song, lyrics, music, all worked out. And it was as 'good' as anything 'flo rida' does.

It will be glorious. And of course I will have to hire someone to pretend the song is theirs, i'll just find some cool y00f type to do it.

Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Postby Littlemissmetal » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:12 pm

Nantha wrote:Considering sacking in a career in music because I'm just fucking fed up of going nowhere and having no money.
I've spent 5 years in music education and spent shit tonnes of money only to find myself fighting others for internships that don't even pay. :(
I keep telling myself it's worth it for the experience and contacts etc, but I'm wondering now if I'd rather just get a standard office job or something. It's not like I'd ever make any real money in the music industry anyway, the whole fucking thing is collapsing.
I wouldn't be that fussed about work and money, but I really really need my own car, and I can't fucking afford a car without a proper job. Why is life so hard for Hamdirs? :(

Jim's advice is sound for both yourself and a lot of other people who aren't getting anywhere with their chosen career path/degree etc.

I've been training in the evenings for secretarial skills for the past year (it's the only reason I haven't moved to York yet in actual fact), because there's a review coming through the House of Lords that could be an absolute death knell to thousands of legal industry jobs - yes, being a legal secretary pays well and opens up opportunities, but those skills cross over into the same kinds of things in any other field.

Is there anything evening class wise you could get to that interests you that would "add strings to your bow" as it were?

If not, temp office work is certainly the way to start if you've never had office experience (don't know if you had or not) - it's all experience to go on your CV which transfers well and can't be taken away from you.

Good look, I hope you find something more to your liking and hopefully in the industry you studied for :)
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.

Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

VirginInvader
Denim Demon

Postby VirginInvader » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:34 pm

Robbed of 2 points today by shite refereeing. Again. If any of you lot up north ever run into Jamie Vardy, call him a cunt and break his nose on my behalf.
Seven Sisters - Proper Heavy Metal from London Town. Upcoming shows:

23/05 - Heavy Sound Festival, Poperinge, Belgium
18/07- Metalbrew, London
01/08 - The Black Heart, London
29/08- No Sleep 'Til Dublin

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:39 pm

My internet is so fucking painful today. It's taken me nearly five minutes just to load facebook home page.
Turbo wrote:One day I'll get around to tasting Pussy.

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:23 pm

Paypal have limited my account because apparently my recent activity could possibly be linked to money laundering. WHAT THE FUCK PAYPAL FUCK YOU.

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:29 pm

herzeleid wrote:Nuts to that, i've already had my idea to make millions from the music industry. I'm going to write a really simple song to play in 'da clubs' called something retarded like 'How we do' Stick a simple or 'phat' beat to some truly retarded lyrics with awful grammar, then sit back and watch all of the sub-human mongs go wild for it while I bathe in their money. This all came to me when I did it in a dream, and it worked. I had the entire song, lyrics, music, all worked out. And it was as 'good' as anything 'flo rida' does.

It will be glorious. And of course I will have to hire someone to pretend the song is theirs, i'll just find some cool y00f type to do it.

See I'd thought of that, but I'm much better at doing 'gay-ass' than 'retarded' when it comes to pop songs.

Anyway, most of us aspiring musical types have to do non-fun shit during daylight hours. Fenriz works in the post office, after all.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:31 pm

peypea wrote:Paypal have limited my account because apparently my recent activity could possibly be linked to money laundering. WHAT THE FUCK PAYPAL FUCK YOU.

PayPal have such a bad rep with stuff like this lately. What's their reasoning and plan of action?
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:36 pm

NeglectedField wrote:
herzeleid wrote:Nuts to that, i've already had my idea to make millions from the music industry. I'm going to write a really simple song to play in 'da clubs' called something retarded like 'How we do' Stick a simple or 'phat' beat to some truly retarded lyrics with awful grammar, then sit back and watch all of the sub-human mongs go wild for it while I bathe in their money. This all came to me when I did it in a dream, and it worked. I had the entire song, lyrics, music, all worked out. And it was as 'good' as anything 'flo rida' does.

See I'd thought of that, but I'm much better at doing 'gay-ass' than 'retarded' when it comes to pop songs.

Anyway, most of us aspiring musical types have to do non-fun shit during daylight hours. Fenriz works in the post office, after all.

50 Cent assigns fictional military rankings to all of his friends in 'G Unit' during daylight hours. See where you're going wrong?

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Fjar wrote:
peypea wrote:Paypal have limited my account because apparently my recent activity could possibly be linked to money laundering. WHAT THE FUCK PAYPAL FUCK YOU.

PayPal have such a bad rep with stuff like this lately. What's their reasoning and plan of action?

It's a large amount of money, so naturally this means I launder money. I'm having to go through and do some verification stuff which will take a few days, but I don't know how this proves that I'm not a money launderer?

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:44 pm

They're doing it to prove that you are the account holder, and not a hacker that's broken into your account to hold money before moving it elsewhere (as explained in IRC, but posting here for clarity for others :) )
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:54 pm

Yeah, thank you for all your explanations, Jim, it's really helped calm me down and clarify everything :)

Lick Mars
I am the Law!

Postby Lick Mars » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:15 pm

Nantha wrote:Considering sacking in a career in music because I'm just fucking fed up of going nowhere and having no money.
I've spent 5 years in music education and spent shit tonnes of money only to find myself fighting others for internships that don't even pay. :(
I keep telling myself it's worth it for the experience and contacts etc, but I'm wondering now if I'd rather just get a standard office job or something. It's not like I'd ever make any real money in the music industry anyway, the whole fucking thing is collapsing.
I wouldn't be that fussed about work and money, but I really really need my own car, and I can't fucking afford a car without a proper job. Why is life so hard for Hamdirs? :(

It's the same situation for anyone trying to get into any 'creative' industry, unfortunately. But by taking on another job for money you're not admitting defeat. It's just what you have to do. You can still keep building contacts and getting experience, and basically what siliconfury said.

It's better to try start your own project/business venture anyway. Internships are good for experience but unless they're a big company, most you'd be lucky to get a permanent position. Most just take advantage of the free labour. I've been in a similar situation - my educations related to music industry and I've done shit tons of internships and voluntary work- but I've always worked in unrelated office jobs for the money. However it made me way more employable and got me a PAID job related to music (albeit temporary). But yeah, now I'm finishing my MA one part of me wants to start my own venture, the other half wants a proper job so I can move out, get a car and start going to gigs again. Ahh life's a bitch..

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:38 pm

i got offered a position as a "supervisor" in another department in work. a sure sign i need to get off my ass and figure out what i want to do before i end up stuck in sainsburys for the rest of my life.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:04 am

I have impetigo again :(