What pissed you off today

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Noodle
I am the Law!

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby Noodle » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:27 am

Brain being a dick and waking me with a nightmare.

The end of the world was supposed to be nigh and everyone was expecting it and was just about prepared for it, but it was late happening by about 5 minutes. When it did happen, there were voices saying:
"The question is that this world do now adjourn."
"That this world do now adjourn."

Everything went black and I woke up to find I'd actually held my breath.
The strange conversation? I'd fallen asleep with the parliament channel on and the House of Lords had just finished.

Funny when I think about it now, but it didn't half freak me out when I woke up.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Azubi
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Azubi » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:40 am

I was under the impression that they would be able to claim money back from you for holidays you have used from that year's allowance but not actually accrued yet.

As an example if you have 26 holidays a year that you can take, effectively earning a day every two weeks and you use all of those 26 days in the first six months, at which point you leave the company after 6 months, you would effectively owe them 13 days worth of holiday back because you haven't earnt them that year.
http://www.azubi.co.uk - Azubi's Adventures in Abandonment :)

fluffymoo wrote:Fucking hell, Mike - you really are wrong all the time.

gelder
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby gelder » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:44 am

PhilMow wrote:
I doubt he can actually ask for that back. Worth checking with Citizens Advice first.

He probably can. I know in my previous jobs you accrue holidays over the course of the holiday year, not just given them in one lump. Where this doesn't really matter in general, as they tend to overlook it and allow you to use holiday time you have yet to accrue, it's when you leave that it hits you and they take out the overuse of the last paycheck. I only know this because I had to explain it to a couple of people when they left. I do believe that it was written into our contracts though so you might want to dig yours out and have a read of it?

EDIT: I see Azubi got there first. Yeah what he said.

FUCKING SUCK!!!!

:p

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:50 am

Despite the fact I have blackout curtains, I've been waking up as soon as it gets light....0435 this morning :(
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Postby Littlemissmetal » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:15 am

Nantha wrote:Phoned my boss to ask about my holiday problem and he was really mean to me :(
He said 'oh you've had so much holiday, don't try and twist my arm' and then proceeded to go on and tell me that if I quit he'd want money back for the paid holidays I've had and also told me that I'd let him down by not cleaning some smudges off a table and embarrassed him in a meeting.
I put the phone down and nearly burst into tears. Whatever happened to 'there's no harm in asking?'

Added to that I had to cycle home from work today in the dark with a fever because my dad wanted to go out with his girlfriend for dinner tonight. Today can just fuck off.

Ignore what I said previously - get out. There's no reason for staff to be talked to like that and it isn't something you're obliged to put up with.

On the holiday front check with CAB but it could be correct - some companies work on the basis that you accrue more holiday the longer you work there (even though you can book more than you've accrued at that given point) - so if you've gone over I think they can dock the pay for those holidays from your final wage packet.

EDIT: Sorry Azubi I missed your post.
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.

Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

bishthefish
Powermetal Child

Postby bishthefish » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:48 am

Holiday entitlement (and therefore procedures surrounding accrual) should be spelt out in your contract of employment.

Azubi's post sets out how I would expect most employers to operate (it's what we do at my workplace) but there is an anomalous minority that might operate a kind of "leave in arrears" process. Like I say, unusual but possible.

However, neither of these points make up for the fact that your boss could do with polishing up his communication skills!

Best of luck!

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:20 am

In the words of Manowar... QUIT MY JOB THIS MOORRNNIN 8)

I got an email today from my boss' wife saying that I couldn't swap my friday work to sunday (which I have been allowed to do every week) so that I could have my holiday back. She said 'I dont want to give you any lea way as I feel you have been taking advantage of us'. :|
Fuck that, not up for being treated like shit. So yeah, I'm going on my holiday now :D

And you're right, I probably will have to pay back some holiday as it's accrued annual paid leave, but I don't really care.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:38 am

Nantha wrote:Fuck that, not up for being treated like shit

:| Don't mean to play devils advocate here, but it sounds like you maybe have been taking advantage of them, and they're the ones not up for being treated like shit.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:55 am

Who's 'us'? What sort of job was it - was it a private cleaning job?
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Postby Littlemissmetal » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:57 am

I was thinking that. "Us" seems an odd thing to say in a company email.

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:00 am

Those 'microsoft' phone calls. Piss off please.
Turbo wrote:One day I'll get around to tasting Pussy.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:04 am

Jobdone wrote:
Nantha wrote:Fuck that, not up for being treated like shit

:| Don't mean to play devils advocate here, but it sounds like you maybe have been taking advantage of them, and they're the ones not up for being treated like shit.

I wouldn't say so. I've been working since March and I'm contracted to 2.5 hours a night. As I got better at the job, cleaning took me less time! Didn't mean I worked any less hard or did any less work, I just got faster and more efficient so rather than doing all my work and then sitting around twiddling my thumbs I went home.
They had every opportunity since I started there months ago to contact me and bring up the subject of my hours, but it took for me to ask them about my holiday for them to have a go at me for it. :| and then refuse to change my holidays as 'punishment'.

'Us' refers to her and her husband who own the business, cleaning company

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:14 am

If you're there for less time than they are contracting you for, they should only have to pay you for the hours you're working for. Going home early because you'd finished the work doesn't make sense to me - they contracted you for 2.5 hours, it's not unreasonable for them to expect you to stay for 2.5 hours.

But they should have brought it up earlier if they thought it was a significant problem, which they clearly did. You're better off elsewhere.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Postby Littlemissmetal » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:24 am

As much as they haven’t handled it well – you are in breach of contract if you don’t do the set hours. I can understand your reasons, but you could have brought it up with them – asked if there was any other work to fill your time or discussed your contract with them and pointed out that you finish regularly far earlier than the set period so ask for the contracted hours to be reduced accordingly or agree that they only pay you for the time you're actually there.

I hate to say it, but I think they’ve ever right to feel taken advantage of, even if they are handling it in an unreasonable manner.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:33 am

Littlemissmetal wrote:As much as they haven’t handled it well – you are in breach of contract if you don’t do the set hours. I can understand your reasons, but you could have brought it up with them – asked if there was any other work to fill your time or discussed your contract with them and pointed out that you finish regularly far earlier than the set period so ask for the contracted hours to be reduced accordingly or agree that they only pay you for the time you're actually there.

I hate to say it, but I think they’ve ever right to feel taken advantage of, even if they are handling it in an unreasonable manner.

I don't really know much about contracts and hours and how it all works, that stuff has always confused me.
Every month I have been getting bonuses and notes saying 'good work' etc. I was fully under the impression that leaving early as I had done my work was acceptable, otherwise I wouldn't have done so.
I've had a cleaning job before where the boss didn't mind if we left early so I guess I just assumed?
Also fuck asking them for more work to fill my time or pay me less :lol: Why would anyone do that?