What pissed you off today

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Jim
Denim Demon

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby Jim » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:53 pm

Just fire on Kevin and Perry Go Large and embrace summer dance.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Metal_saddle
Denim Demon

Postby Metal_saddle » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:46 pm

Rick Mayall dying, so having a blackadder binge.
Nightmare world
Reflected as a dream
Vision blurred
This surely cannot be
Twisted now
Far from reality
Delving into depths
Mankind’s depravity

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:17 am

siliconfury wrote:Just fire on Kevin and Perry Go Large and embrace summer dance.

I love that soundtrack, me and my friend regularly play it at piss ups :P

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:54 pm

This hotel want 20 euros per person per use of the pool.
Turbo wrote:One day I'll get around to tasting Pussy.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:09 pm

Why does it have to be so painfully difficult to try and get sponsorship for my race car? It would be so much easier were I independently wealthy and didn't need to go through all of this shit! But that's the way it is. If I want to race, I need to convince someone else to pay for it...
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:22 pm

Get my face on the front and I'll give you 50 pence
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:05 pm

Tet wrote:Why does it have to be so painfully difficult to try and get sponsorship for my race car? It would be so much easier were I independently wealthy and didn't need to go through all of this shit! But that's the way it is. If I want to race, I need to convince someone else to pay for it...

What's the benefit to someone sponsoring you?

Don't take this the wrong way, but the way that reads is "people won't let me have fun at their expense" which I struggle to empathise with. Just wondering if it wouldn't look so bad if you could go into it a bit.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:09 pm

AnnihiSlateR wrote:
Tet wrote:Why does it have to be so painfully difficult to try and get sponsorship for my race car? It would be so much easier were I independently wealthy and didn't need to go through all of this shit! But that's the way it is. If I want to race, I need to convince someone else to pay for it...

What's the benefit to someone sponsoring you?

Don't take this the wrong way, but the way that reads is "people won't let me have fun at their expense" which I struggle to empathise with. Just wondering if it wouldn't look so bad if you could go into it a bit.

Isn't it a competitive sport?

But yeah, it would be much easier if it was televised, maybe
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:20 pm

What difference would competition make? Unless you offer them a share of the winnings in return? But then surely you're basically asking them to bet on you. Unless you draw in a significant crowd, all of which are likely to want a product/service, then the advertisement route doesn't seem that great an option either.

But then this is all assumption, I've no idea of the workings of sponsorship, or racing, I could be way out, which is why I asked.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:26 pm

The prime benefit of sponsorship is advertisement, brand exposure.

Companies pay money to show their logo in front of people, the more people the opportunity arises to do this, then the more valuable that medium to the sponsor (and prospective sponsors).

So motorsports events tend to be popular for this because you have people in the crowd staring at the cars being 'advertised to', but also people take photos of the sponsored vehicles, and that can end up in magazines and stuff. If it's a televised event, then the number of people the advertising can be exposed to goes even higher, as it could be syndicated, broadcast abroad, and normally repeated and replayed.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:28 pm

AnnihiSlateR wrote:What difference would competition make?

I was addressing your point that it's just for fun.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:30 pm

That's a point - so competitive vs hobbyist, if you're competitive you're more inclined to be committed to succeed, and prospective sponsors see it that way. Spectators get a lot of exposure to winners, so sponsorship logos on the winners receive a lot of value.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:38 pm

siliconfury wrote:The prime benefit of sponsorship is advertisement, brand exposure.

Companies pay money to show their logo in front of people, the more people the opportunity arises to do this, then the more valuable that medium to the sponsor (and prospective sponsors).

Actually, that's a bit of a myth. Yes, that's certainly part of it, and for some sponsors, it may be a significant part, depending on what they do. But the prime objective with sponsorship these days (in motorsport, at least) is actually to provide a venue in which to do business. A company will sponsor you so they can bring customers and prospective customers to races, wine and dine them and hope to close a few big money deals while they're at it.

Don't get me wrong, I have no expectation of entitlement here, and I'm well aware I'm asking someone to shell out hard cash to allow me to have a bit of fun driving a racecar. I'm also fully aware that in order for someone to do this, I have to provide them with a compelling reason to do so that makes business sense. That's in part what makes it so hard, and I don't have to like doing it. That's what my initial complaint was about. I'm a IT nerd, not a sales and marketing guy. But I have to try and be the latter if I'm to have any hope of getting anywhere with this. It's hard to try and sell myself to potential sponsors and well outside of my comfort zone.

FWIW, yes, my races are televised. The first one should be airing fairly soon. But it doesn't receive mainstream TV coverage, so it'll probably only be watched by dedicated motorsport fans. Last year it was on Motors TV. I'm not yet sure where it's going to be this year.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:44 pm

That'll explain the comical price of hospitality packages at major motorsport events.

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:48 pm

Tet wrote:
siliconfury wrote:The prime benefit of sponsorship is advertisement, brand exposure.

Actually, that's a bit of a myth. Yes, that's certainly part of it, and for some sponsors, it may be a significant part, depending on what they do. But the prime objective with sponsorship these days (in motorsport, at least) is actually to provide a venue in which to do business. A company will sponsor you so they can bring customers and prospective customers to races, wine and dine them and hope to close a few big money deals while they're at it.

Don't get me wrong, I have no expectation of entitlement here, and I'm well aware I'm asking someone to shell out hard cash to allow me to have a bit of fun driving a racecar. I'm also fully aware that in order for someone to do this, I have to provide them with a compelling reason to do so that makes business sense. That's in part what makes it so hard, and I don't have to like doing it. That's what my initial complaint was about. I'm a IT nerd, not a sales and marketing guy. But I have to try and be the latter if I'm to have any hope of getting anywhere with this. It's hard to try and sell myself to potential sponsors and well outside of my comfort zone.

FWIW, yes, my races are televised. The first one should be airing fairly soon. But it doesn't receive mainstream TV coverage, so it'll probably only be watched by dedicated motorsport fans. Last year it was on Motors TV. I'm not yet sure where it's going to be this year.

Cheers for clearing it up a bit. At least there does seem to an element of mutual benefit from the way you describe it. And I suppose I can why being in that situation, more for the fact that it is the situation, would annoy someone.