What pissed you off today

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Beardy
I am the Law!

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby Beardy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:54 pm

tranmerefan wrote:My training/placement course with the jobcentre is seemingly just a training course. Apparently I desperatly need a basic IT qualification and its holding me back.

I have an IT degree. What's holding me back is experience....

Reminds me of when they tried to send my uncle on one of those when he was made redundant a few years ago after the firm he was working for went into liquidation. He was one of the team that designed System X but apparently not having a City & Guilds in basic IT was holding him back.

Drugged_unholy
Leather Rebel

Postby Drugged_unholy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:03 pm

tranmerefan wrote:My training/placement course with the jobcentre is seemingly just a training course. Apparently I desperatly need a basic IT qualification and its holding me back.

The people who staff those courses are either idiots or people who pretend to be idiots because the rules are so stupid. Ignore them, you know more about IT than they do (anyone who can use a forum probably does).

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:05 pm

I had exactly the same problem. If you haven't already tried, look at your local council website. Schools especially are a good place to look. I had two interviews with schools before I got one of them! Look at teching websites too as they sometimes have jobs on there that don't get wider advertising!

EDIT: Sorry, got dragged away mid post! I guess it depends what role in IT you want to do...but technical support in the schools is a good experience. You deal with so many different people, from children to older people, with ranging abilities. No day is the same, and you'll likely get to deal with so many different software/hardware setups that you'll be an asset to any company when you move on.
The only problem is the work ethic is different in the school to a company and it can apparently be hard to make the transition without commercial experience...although it didn't hurt me too much as I got the first job I went for. I miss the school though.
I've never met anyone who's done one of those 'basic IT courses' and gone on to do anything more than secretarial/admin duties, and I wouldn't trust anyone who's only experience/qualification was one of them.

gumpy87
Denim Demon

Postby gumpy87 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:02 pm

my paypal account deciding not to work
By this axe I rule

strangeasangels
Denim Demon

Postby strangeasangels » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:33 pm

People bailing out on my birthday night out when I remind them about it, when they could have told me they wouldn't be able to make it a few weeks ago.

Finnvitka
Denim Demon

Postby Finnvitka » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:41 pm

Work being rubbish and crap.
tumblr|facebook
[Josh] i fucking love bottom ;_;

ImageImageImage

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:39 pm

Beardy wrote: but apparently not having a City & Guilds in basic IT was holding him back.

My mum has one of those and she is mystified by the workings of mobile phones.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:30 pm

C&G IT courses are fucking easy, at least the ones I've done were anyway.

Schizoid
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Schizoid » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:09 pm

I was away, camping, and Charley text me saying "Europe headlining BOA was a joke, they've changed it and Immortal have been announced to headline".
I actually believed her :(

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:11 pm

Schizoid wrote:I was away, camping, and Charley text me saying "Europe headlining BOA was a joke, they've changed it and Immortal have been announced to headline".

We all got a running commentary in the next announcement thread :lol:

Luke-
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Luke- » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:13 pm

Schizoid wrote:I was away, camping, and Charley text me saying "Europe headlining BOA was a joke, they've changed it and Immortal have been announced to headline".

Give 'er a beating!
"The thing about numbers is... there's loads of them."

gumpy87
Denim Demon

Postby gumpy87 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:32 pm

it could still happen :)
By this axe I rule

Epic_Kirsty
Consort of the Beast

Postby Epic_Kirsty » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:04 am

I've just spent the last 45 minutes in my pyjamas in the torrential fucking rain looking for my dad (who is absolutely SMASHED) and my dog!

Oh and the 30 minutes previous to that I spent cleaning 2 flights of stairs and a bathroom (walls and floors included) of vomit. Not to mention a very drunken mother (who caused said vomit) was puking all over herself and her bed as I was cleaning the mess she made!!!

Got her pillow from underneath her, put it in a bag and then wiped her down with baby wipes.

Then realised my dad had been out with the dog for about half an hour...

Grabbed my phone and ran out thinking he'd fallen over or something. 45 minutes later I found the dog...then about 5 minutes later I found him.

"Where the FUCK have you been!?"

"Out with the dog...I've only been out for 5 minutes".

>.<

I was SOAKED :(

Oh well...I hope my mother enjoyed her 50th birthday. I'm sure she won't remember a thing tomorrow :shy:

Anyway...that's what's pissed me the fuck off today!
"Don't worry, I've done this before, it will hurt like hell and leave you sore".

Luke-
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Luke- » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:24 am

While it must have sucked for you it was certainly an interesting story for me.

And while Frankie Boyle rocked my faith in Scottish alcoholism on Mock the Week, I'm now back to my original stand point ;).
That yer all drunkards.
"The thing about numbers is... there's loads of them."

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:05 am

The fact a miniature black hole has been following me around. In the past 6 weeks I have lost 3 insulin pens and a blood testing kit, 2 of said pens went missing yesterday evening (hoping the cleaners picked them up in work)

I'm not talking about carelessly mispacing an item, I do mean that they actually fucking vanished and there is no trace of them whatsoever. They must be in my house somewhere, hopefully in the myriad of boxes being packed in my room but only havign one pen is starting to worry me a bit :(
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.