What pissed you off today

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Finnvitka
Denim Demon

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby Finnvitka » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:59 pm

Rickles_the_Mighty wrote:Museum based work placement which is paid. As a history student this is ace. As and Englishman this sucks because you need to speak Welsh to apply :x :x

I have this EXACT same problem.

This is why I'm undertaking the mammoth and almost entirely pointless task of learning Welsh.
tumblr|facebook
[Josh] i fucking love bottom ;_;

ImageImageImage

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:28 pm

Bellini wrote:You know your finger is sort of divided into 3 parts? I have a cardboard 'papercut' right on the bend... it's pretty deep too.

ouch

Ohhh, cardboard cuts are a FUCKER!
Especially on the bends..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:34 pm

I'm always getting cuts in annoying places like that.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:20 pm

I hate having a mood that can turn on sixpence from a good mood to a generally shitty one
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Deli Kate
Paster of Muppets

Postby Deli Kate » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:27 pm

Finnvitka wrote:
Rickles_the_Mighty wrote:Museum based work placement which is paid. As a history student this is ace. As and Englishman this sucks because you need to speak Welsh to apply :x :x

This is why I'm undertaking the mammoth and almost entirely pointless task of learning Welsh.

I'm sorry, isn't this racist? (and I'm Welsh) How good does your Welsh have to be? Why don't you have to speak Gaelic (sp?) to work in Scotland. Or for that matter English to work in England :?
Kate
10" of Awesomeness and a latte...

@DeliKate_events

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpjsgPDM4t8

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:35 pm

Deli Kate wrote:
Finnvitka wrote:

I'm sorry, isn't this racist? (and I'm Welsh) How good does your Welsh have to be? Why don't you have to speak Gaelic (sp?) to work in Scotland. Or for that matter English to work in England :?

Authenticity, perhaps?
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:37 pm

Deli Kate wrote:
Finnvitka wrote:

A lot of jobs in Wales require you to be able to speak Welsh, especially in public service postions. It's apparently because of the "language barrier" between English and Welsh people :rolleyes:
Sorry for the cynicism but I've spent the majority of the last 3 weeks in a coach park sorting out paperwork etc for end-of-year school trips and making sure that people didn't get run over while crossing through the coach park and the constant cry from an awful lot of the Welsh schools (the teachers, not the pupils) for not following instructions and a) taking 3 times as long as it should've done to complete some very basic paperwork and b) putting themselves in danger in a busy coach park which also incorporates a public road with buses running every 10 minutes was "oh it's the language barrier, we didn't understand what you were saying". Because obviously no-one in Wales speaks English. :rolleyes:

Ndnd
Denim Demon

Postby Ndnd » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:47 pm

Despite telling Chris that I don't want him to waste his money on an anniversary present, there appears to be a present in the wardrobe.

I now have to find something that he would like, but i just have no idea what to get him (and only have tomorrow to find something).
Mau Mau
Noodle wrote:Darkweasel, Kim or sig in 3.... 2...

Luke-
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Luke- » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:06 pm

Bellini wrote:Despite telling Chris that I don't want him to waste his money on an anniversary present, there appears to be a present in the wardrobe.

I now have to find something that he would like, but i just have no idea what to get him (and only have tomorrow to find something).

Blo....

Get him some Lego :).

I swear I've said that to you before... blow job joke and all.
"The thing about numbers is... there's loads of them."

NightEyes
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby NightEyes » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:09 pm

Reading classic poetry has made me think mine is no good at all....

Drugged_unholy
Leather Rebel

Postby Drugged_unholy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:13 pm

Beardy wrote:[

A lot of jobs in Wales require you to be able to speak Welsh, especially in public service postions.

I've worked in the Welsh Language department of the Welsh Assembly, and I don't speak Welsh. Basicaly it is illegal for an employer to insist on the ability to speak a language unless the ability to speak that language is essential for the job - so I'd guess in a museum that could be because you'd be dealing with school trips, specific features on the welsh language, history etc. Otherwise the most they can do is move it into the "desirable" skills section, which many organisations just do to tick boxes anyway.

Call them, and ask for the justification. If they can't justify it being essential, then apply anyway.

Also WPMOT - I have head lice.

Finnvitka
Denim Demon

Postby Finnvitka » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:15 pm

Deli Kate wrote:
Finnvitka wrote:

Part of the job is giving guided tours, and OBVIOUSLY no Welsh speaker actually speaks any English as well. Also, as it is the Ceredigion County Museum, it's pretty much the most Welsh thing ever.

It does have its benefits though, if/when I can speak Welsh (beyond the random vocab I've picked up so far) I can smile and nod when I go in Welsh pubs and they all start magically speaking it.
tumblr|facebook
[Josh] i fucking love bottom ;_;

ImageImageImage

Oceansoul
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Oceansoul » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:21 pm

My wisdom tooth being a complete and utter bastard. Argh.
Now how to go back to Wales tomorrow to see the Dentist :(
Bad times :(
JOIN THE BLOODSTOCK CHATROOM!! --> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14484

**Just a small town girl, Living in a lonely world. She took the midnight train going anywhere**

Ndnd
Denim Demon

Postby Ndnd » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:22 pm

Luke- wrote:
Bellini wrote:Despite telling Chris that I don't want him to waste his money on an anniversary present, there appears to be a present in the wardrobe.

Blo....

Get him some Lego :).

I swear I've said that to you before... blow job joke and all.

yeah You have suggested that before when I was stuck with what to get him for a Birthday present.

Although on a serious note he sometimes reads these forums... I don't want him getting ideas above his station :) .
Mau Mau
Noodle wrote:Darkweasel, Kim or sig in 3.... 2...

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:25 pm

Drugged_unholy wrote:
Beardy wrote:[

A lot of jobs in Wales require you to be able to speak Welsh, especially in public service postions.

I've worked in the Welsh Language department of the Welsh Assembly, and I don't speak Welsh. Basicaly it is illegal for an employer to insist on the ability to speak a language unless the ability to speak that language is essential for the job - so I'd guess in a museum that could be because you'd be dealing with school trips, specific features on the welsh language, history etc. Otherwise the most they can do is move it into the "desirable" skills section, which many organisations just do to tick boxes anyway.

They've obviously changed the rules then since I was rejected for a job at BBC Wales a few years back due to "not being bi-lingual". It was a behind the scenes technical post that wouldn't have ever actually needed me to speak or read Welsh.

There's still plenty of jobs advertised in the local papers (I've lived near Ellesmere Port for 11 years so not far from the border) where the ability to speak Welsh is often cited as being "essential" (and the advert is posted in both English and Welsh) despite the job description not showing any particular reason why you'd have to speak Welsh other than the fact that the post is based in Wales and you might meet the odd Welsh person from time to time.

Anyway, like I said in my earlier post, excuse my cynicism towards Welsh speakers at the moment but I've just spent a large part of the last three weeks dealing with utter muppets blaming the "language barrier" for them basically just being stupid.