What pissed you off today

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Moonburp
Denim Demon

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby Moonburp » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:40 pm

splellen wrote:
I know my highway code, I wear a helmet, I don't run through red lights, I don't cycle on paths. Not every cyclist is an inconsiderate sod who doesn't respect other road users.
There should be some sort of cycling proficiency scheme or something though, especially if the government are trying to encourage folk to leave their cars at home. Teach folk how to cycle safely.

:yes:

I live in Brighton, where the cycle facilities are good, but it still confuses me why cyclists still choose to cycle on the pavements. I've probably saved a fortune by choosing to cycle over taking the bus as well. I took the cycling proficiency test when I was 11, but I think it'd be a good idea to encourage every cyclist to take it.

splellen
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby splellen » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:42 pm

Moonburp wrote: :yes:

I live in Brighton, where the cycle facilities are good, but it still confuses me why cyclists still choose to cycle on the pavements. I've probably saved a fortune by choosing to cycle over taking the bus as well. I took the cycling proficiency test when I was 11, but I think it'd be a good idea to encourage every cyclist to take it.

Yeah I remember doing it at primary school and it's still stuck in my head since then! :D

logandog1
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby logandog1 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:16 pm

Moonburp wrote:
splellen wrote:
I know my highway code, I wear a helmet, I don't run through red lights, I don't cycle on paths. Not every cyclist is an inconsiderate sod who doesn't respect other road users.
There should be some sort of cycling proficiency scheme or something though, especially if the government are trying to encourage folk to leave their cars at home. Teach folk how to cycle safely.

:yes:

The cycle facilities may be good in Brighton but the hills are nasty when cycling
Mary had a little lamb its fleece was coloured red
The reason for the colouring was the axe stuck in its head

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:38 pm

Moonburp wrote:As someone who cycles every day:

Get a grip. Not all cyclists do that and maybe if they put some cycle lanes down we wouldn't get in your way. I got knocked off my bike by some twat driving in the cycle lane but I don't class all drivers as arseholes. I also ran into someone walking in a cycling lane and everyone looked at me as if I'm the arsehole!

Also, I hate the environment as much as you - I just can't afford a car :P

I think I've come across as a bit too anti-cyclist on the basis of one stupid girl that didn't know how to ride her bike safely due to her own stupidity. Plus she was probably a little drunk.
Anyway, where it happened, there was actually a cycle crossing just up the road. She decided not to use it and go for the zebra crossing. In that case, to be honest, she deserved what she got. I didn't deserve the broken windscreen and the mental shit that follows an accident like that, nor did I deserve her and her mates coming in and cracking jokes about it weeks after the accident.
So forgive me if I seem quite anti-cyclist, I'm quite the opposite. Some of my best friends ride their bikes to town instead of driving or getting a bus (in fact, one used to bike into town, have a cup of tea and then bike home, how British). I just get quite worked up about that stupid bitch as it's put my family out by quite a bit.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:57 pm

Applecore wrote:
Moonburp wrote:As someone who cycles every day:

Get a grip. Not all cyclists do that and maybe if they put some cycle lanes down we wouldn't get in your way. I got knocked off my bike by some twat driving in the cycle lane but I don't class all drivers as arseholes. I also ran into someone walking in a cycling lane and everyone looked at me as if I'm the arsehole!

Also, I hate the environment as much as you - I just can't afford a car :P

I think I've come across as a bit too anti-cyclist on the basis of one stupid girl that didn't know how to ride her bike safely due to her own stupidity. Plus she was probably a little drunk.
Anyway, where it happened, there was actually a cycle crossing just up the road. She decided not to use it and go for the zebra crossing. In that case, to be honest, she deserved what she got. I didn't deserve the broken windscreen and the mental shit that follows an accident like that, nor did I deserve her and her mates coming in and cracking jokes about it weeks after the accident.
So forgive me if I seem quite anti-cyclist, I'm quite the opposite. Some of my best friends ride their bikes to town instead of driving or getting a bus (in fact, one used to bike into town, have a cup of tea and then bike home, how British). I just get quite worked up about that stupid bitch as it's put my family out by quite a bit.

In which case she's a moron and deserves whatever she gets.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:13 pm

Lol, cyclist rage.

Cycling in York is quite safe, most of the drivers know how to deal with them.

Cycling in Edinburgh is as deadly as it is in Nottingham.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Natty
Definitely Not Nu

Postby Natty » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:19 pm

Can I just say; as a driver of a 4x4, I can't get around cyclists when there are oncoming cars on roads. So I would actually prefer them on the paths... roads are just too busy for them these days.
In my dreams I can see you, I can tell you how I feel. In my dreams I can hold you, and it feels so real....

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:21 pm

Natty wrote:Can I just say; as a driver of a 4x4, I can't get around cyclists when there are oncoming cars on roads. So I would actually prefer them on the paths... roads are just too busy for them these days.

Why do you drive an off-road vehicle on roads?

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:22 pm

It has 4 wheels, it belongs on the road.
Cyclists however, well they're just glorified pedestrians, aren't they?
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:24 pm

Applecore wrote:It has 4 wheels, it belongs on the road.
Cyclists however, well they're just glorified pedestrians, aren't they?

In the highway code (a summary of UK Road Law) a cyclist is considered a road user.

A kid's go-cart has four wheels and doesn't belong on the road.

Whilst we're on this debate, a cyclist doesn't pay road tax therefore probably doesn't deserve to be on the road, so I'll give you that argument.

Natty
Definitely Not Nu

Postby Natty » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:28 pm

And why do they go through red traffic lights! That drives me insane. They won't wait. They have to overtake me so I have to overtake them; again :x
In my dreams I can see you, I can tell you how I feel. In my dreams I can hold you, and it feels so real....

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:29 pm

Natty wrote:And why do they go through red traffic lights! That drives me insane. They won't wait. They have to overtake me so I have to overtake them; again :x

I hug the kerb at lights for that very reason.

Natty
Definitely Not Nu

Postby Natty » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:32 pm

I've tried that. They just go up the kerb and around me or overtake on the other side. AHHHHHHHHHH.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:33 pm

Tbh, I'm not really overly fussed by cyclists as a whole. As I've said before I just hate that stupid bitch that went out in front of me.
Ah well, if things progress it'll go to court and I hope the judge sees more sense than the twats at Churchill who've sided with her and dropped me from my insurance.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Finnvitka
Denim Demon

Postby Finnvitka » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:39 pm

I enjoy living in places small enough to walk around, and living in the centre of said places.

Anyway, I am pissed off today because I want a sodding bacon sandwich but my housemate has left the kitchen in a tip. Its my day to wash up today, but this has been there since wednesday night so he can get off his fat arse and clean it
tumblr|facebook
[Josh] i fucking love bottom ;_;

ImageImageImage