What pissed you off today

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
User avatar
thehairyone
Denim Demon
Posts: 5423
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:19 pm
Location: The badger sett
Contact:

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby thehairyone » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:23 pm

Manadh wrote:
MentalInfestation wrote: I get totally freaked out by them. I had great fun trying to find jobs which didn't involve me having to use the phone a lot :eyes:

When I worked for Debenhams, I used to stand next to the phone and yell "PHOOOOOOONE" until someone else answered it for me. On a Sunday this involved my best work mate legging it from where ever she was on the shop floor to answer it because she loved answering the phone :lol:
At present if I am phoning a parent or something *everyone* has to leave the office, and the adjoining teaching room. They make a bit of a joke about it, but they do leave


I am amazed your manager lets you get away with that. If that was in my office and you tried that, I'd fire you - I used to have the same problem until threatened with the same thing. Force yourself to do it, and it will get better, but it really is something you need to get used to in most jobs now.
Image

Image
Image

User avatar
enemywithin
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:29 am
Location: East Grinstead
Contact:

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby enemywithin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:24 pm

doing a nine hour shift, as well as covering three other people's shorter ones before and after mine :( so knackered
Image

User avatar
Manadh
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2433
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:05 pm
Location: Sheffield
Contact:

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby Manadh » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:41 pm

thehairyone wrote:I am amazed your manager lets you get away with that. If that was in my office and you tried that, I'd fire you - I used to have the same problem until threatened with the same thing. Force yourself to do it, and it will get better, but it really is something you need to get used to in most jobs now.

:| We're teachers, it's not like we all work in an office all day? None of us work in the office and there is only room for one desk in there anyway so it's not like I inconvenience and clear out 15 members of staff before I used the phone :rolleyes:
I do force myself to do it when I have to do it, but I've had this problem for as long as I can remember and no amount of phone calls seems to make it better

User avatar
thehairyone
Denim Demon
Posts: 5423
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:19 pm
Location: The badger sett
Contact:

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby thehairyone » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:45 pm

Manadh wrote:
thehairyone wrote:I am amazed your manager lets you get away with that. If that was in my office and you tried that, I'd fire you - I used to have the same problem until threatened with the same thing. Force yourself to do it, and it will get better, but it really is something you need to get used to in most jobs now.

:| We're teachers, it's not like we all work in an office all day? None of us work in the office and there is only room for one desk in there anyway so it's not like I inconvenience and clear out 15 members of staff before I used the phone :rolleyes:
I do force myself to do it when I have to do it, but I've had this problem for as long as I can remember and no amount of phone calls seems to make it better


Completly misread your post. Arses.
Last edited by thehairyone on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image

Image
Image

User avatar
Fjar
Denim Demon
Posts: 10174
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:22 pm
Location: Alfreton, Derbyshire
Contact:

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby Fjar » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:47 pm

Meh, I get the same. I hate answering my phone, and I will ignore it if it's someone I don't know. Once my mum phoned me from her landline, it came up as an unrecognisable number, I ignored it and made James look up the area code. It emerged it was Exeter, and I phoned back, hesitantly. I nearly shat myself when my mum answered - it didn't sound like her since she had a cold, and I got freaked out.
Image
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

MentalInfestation
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2653
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:33 am
Location: Far away from here!!!

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby MentalInfestation » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:50 pm

Fjar wrote:Meh, I get the same. I hate answering my phone, and I will ignore it if it's someone I don't know. Once my mum phoned me from her landline, it came up as an unrecognisable number, I ignored it and made James look up the area code. It emerged it was Exeter, and I phoned back, hesitantly. I nearly shat myself when my mum answered - it didn't sound like her since she had a cold, and I got freaked out.


I worked out the area code for my college (they ring me a lot cause I get learning support, so they have to call me to tell me arrangements for assessments etc). I answered my phone yesterday, and it was this weird guy with a stutter, and got freaked... Turned out to be Waterstones telling me my book came in.
Is no longer using this forum. Adios, off to pastures new with some "grown ups" and less egos :)

User avatar
MotorAmarth
Denim Demon
Posts: 6435
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:25 pm
Location: St Helens/Swansea
Contact:

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby MotorAmarth » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:50 pm

Just got a massive pain in my side
I think I sit in a weird position when I revise and its punishing me now
Image

Jage wrote:I don't like the sound of Mark Owen's voice in Priest.

User avatar
Manadh
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2433
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:05 pm
Location: Sheffield
Contact:

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby Manadh » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:53 pm

thehairyone wrote:Completly misread your post. Arses.

Good because I was somewhat confused by your response :P
If people did need to also be in the office then I would use the phone if I had to. In so far the situation has not arisen as the people I work with know I don't like it and they are nice enough to clear off for a few mins to make it easier for me :)

User avatar
gumpy87
Denim Demon
Posts: 5814
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Merthyr tydfil south wales

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby gumpy87 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:53 pm

Prometherion91 wrote:Knowing that I can't (or rather, shouldn't) buy Warning's "Watching From A Distance" double gatefold LP.

i didnt know there was a vinyl version of watching from a distance

*rushes off to ebay*
By this axe I rule

User avatar
thehairyone
Denim Demon
Posts: 5423
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:19 pm
Location: The badger sett
Contact:

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby thehairyone » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:58 pm

Manadh wrote:
thehairyone wrote:Completly misread your post. Arses.

Good because I was somewhat confused by your response :P
If people did need to also be in the office then I would use the phone if I had to. In so far the situation has not arisen as the people I work with know I don't like it and they are nice enough to clear off for a few mins to make it easier for me :)


That's fair enough. My post was coming out a bit like a "get over it" - that wasn't the intention. It was the fact I've seen too many people come through my office with absolutly no confidence in even picking it up to answer a call, let alone making a call to a supplier, and it tends to set me off, just one person, as it is such an essential skill in life. I am happy to offer courses in phone confidence to people who are not happy answering or making calls!
Image

Image
Image

User avatar
Finnvitka
Denim Demon
Posts: 15479
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: NCC-1701
Contact:

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby Finnvitka » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:59 pm

I used to be awful on the phone

Working in a call centre sorted that one out.
tumblr|facebook
[Josh] i fucking love bottom ;_;

ImageImageImage

User avatar
Prometherion91
Denim Demon
Posts: 7754
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:45 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby Prometherion91 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:02 pm

gumpy87 wrote:
Prometherion91 wrote:Knowing that I can't (or rather, shouldn't) buy Warning's "Watching From A Distance" double gatefold LP.

i didnt know there was a vinyl version of watching from a distance

*rushes off to ebay*


It was on there for £20, I think. Do want.
Womble wrote:Petri isn't fat. He's just ribbed for her pleasure.

User avatar
Jim
Denim Demon
Posts: 11935
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:43 pm
Location: Alfreton, Derbyshire
Contact:

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby Jim » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:04 pm

Finnvitka wrote:I used to be awful on the phone

Working in a call centre sorted that one out.

Same. It forces you to learn how to act on the phone, and not being the idiotic customer at the same time. Work in a call centre (and not just be a robot) teaches you what other call centres are going through/expecting whenever you need to call them up.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

User avatar
Finnvitka
Denim Demon
Posts: 15479
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: NCC-1701
Contact:

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby Finnvitka » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:06 pm

siliconfury wrote:
Finnvitka wrote:I used to be awful on the phone

Working in a call centre sorted that one out.

Same. It forces you to learn how to act on the phone, and not being the idiotic customer at the same time. Work in a call centre (and not just be a robot) teaches you what other call centres are going through/expecting whenever you need to call them up.


I was my centre's best agent. I have a well posh phone voice and made even the most awful customers behave themselves.

Its on my list of jobs never to do again if I can help it.
tumblr|facebook
[Josh] i fucking love bottom ;_;

ImageImageImage

User avatar
Prometherion91
Denim Demon
Posts: 7754
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:45 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby Prometherion91 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:06 pm

Why do I drink so much so often. D:
Womble wrote:Petri isn't fat. He's just ribbed for her pleasure.