What pissed you off today

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
thehairyone
Denim Demon

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby thehairyone » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:23 pm

Manadh wrote:
MentalInfestation wrote: I get totally freaked out by them. I had great fun trying to find jobs which didn't involve me having to use the phone a lot :eyes:

When I worked for Debenhams, I used to stand next to the phone and yell "PHOOOOOOONE" until someone else answered it for me. On a Sunday this involved my best work mate legging it from where ever she was on the shop floor to answer it because she loved answering the phone :lol:
At present if I am phoning a parent or something *everyone* has to leave the office, and the adjoining teaching room. They make a bit of a joke about it, but they do leave

I am amazed your manager lets you get away with that. If that was in my office and you tried that, I'd fire you - I used to have the same problem until threatened with the same thing. Force yourself to do it, and it will get better, but it really is something you need to get used to in most jobs now.

enemywithin
Consort of the Beast

Postby enemywithin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:24 pm

doing a nine hour shift, as well as covering three other people's shorter ones before and after mine :( so knackered

Manadh
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Manadh » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:41 pm

thehairyone wrote:I am amazed your manager lets you get away with that. If that was in my office and you tried that, I'd fire you - I used to have the same problem until threatened with the same thing. Force yourself to do it, and it will get better, but it really is something you need to get used to in most jobs now.

:| We're teachers, it's not like we all work in an office all day? None of us work in the office and there is only room for one desk in there anyway so it's not like I inconvenience and clear out 15 members of staff before I used the phone :rolleyes:
I do force myself to do it when I have to do it, but I've had this problem for as long as I can remember and no amount of phone calls seems to make it better

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:45 pm

Manadh wrote:
thehairyone wrote:I am amazed your manager lets you get away with that. If that was in my office and you tried that, I'd fire you - I used to have the same problem until threatened with the same thing. Force yourself to do it, and it will get better, but it really is something you need to get used to in most jobs now.

:| We're teachers, it's not like we all work in an office all day? None of us work in the office and there is only room for one desk in there anyway so it's not like I inconvenience and clear out 15 members of staff before I used the phone :rolleyes:
I do force myself to do it when I have to do it, but I've had this problem for as long as I can remember and no amount of phone calls seems to make it better

Completly misread your post. Arses.
Last edited by thehairyone on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:47 pm

Meh, I get the same. I hate answering my phone, and I will ignore it if it's someone I don't know. Once my mum phoned me from her landline, it came up as an unrecognisable number, I ignored it and made James look up the area code. It emerged it was Exeter, and I phoned back, hesitantly. I nearly shat myself when my mum answered - it didn't sound like her since she had a cold, and I got freaked out.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

MentalInfestation
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby MentalInfestation » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:50 pm

Fjar wrote:Meh, I get the same. I hate answering my phone, and I will ignore it if it's someone I don't know. Once my mum phoned me from her landline, it came up as an unrecognisable number, I ignored it and made James look up the area code. It emerged it was Exeter, and I phoned back, hesitantly. I nearly shat myself when my mum answered - it didn't sound like her since she had a cold, and I got freaked out.

I worked out the area code for my college (they ring me a lot cause I get learning support, so they have to call me to tell me arrangements for assessments etc). I answered my phone yesterday, and it was this weird guy with a stutter, and got freaked... Turned out to be Waterstones telling me my book came in.
Is no longer using this forum. Adios, off to pastures new with some "grown ups" and less egos :)

MotorAmarth
Denim Demon

Postby MotorAmarth » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:50 pm

Just got a massive pain in my side
I think I sit in a weird position when I revise and its punishing me now

Jage wrote:I don't like the sound of Mark Owen's voice in Priest.

Manadh
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Manadh » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:53 pm

thehairyone wrote:Completly misread your post. Arses.

Good because I was somewhat confused by your response :P
If people did need to also be in the office then I would use the phone if I had to. In so far the situation has not arisen as the people I work with know I don't like it and they are nice enough to clear off for a few mins to make it easier for me :)

gumpy87
Denim Demon

Postby gumpy87 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:53 pm

Prometherion91 wrote:Knowing that I can't (or rather, shouldn't) buy Warning's "Watching From A Distance" double gatefold LP.

i didnt know there was a vinyl version of watching from a distance

*rushes off to ebay*
By this axe I rule

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:58 pm

Manadh wrote:
thehairyone wrote:Completly misread your post. Arses.

Good because I was somewhat confused by your response :P
If people did need to also be in the office then I would use the phone if I had to. In so far the situation has not arisen as the people I work with know I don't like it and they are nice enough to clear off for a few mins to make it easier for me :)

That's fair enough. My post was coming out a bit like a "get over it" - that wasn't the intention. It was the fact I've seen too many people come through my office with absolutly no confidence in even picking it up to answer a call, let alone making a call to a supplier, and it tends to set me off, just one person, as it is such an essential skill in life. I am happy to offer courses in phone confidence to people who are not happy answering or making calls!

Finnvitka
Denim Demon

Postby Finnvitka » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:59 pm

I used to be awful on the phone

Working in a call centre sorted that one out.
tumblr|facebook
[Josh] i fucking love bottom ;_;

ImageImageImage

Prometherion91
Denim Demon

Postby Prometherion91 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:02 pm

gumpy87 wrote:
Prometherion91 wrote:Knowing that I can't (or rather, shouldn't) buy Warning's "Watching From A Distance" double gatefold LP.

i didnt know there was a vinyl version of watching from a distance

*rushes off to ebay*

It was on there for £20, I think. Do want.
Womble wrote:Petri isn't fat. He's just ribbed for her pleasure.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:04 pm

Finnvitka wrote:I used to be awful on the phone

Same. It forces you to learn how to act on the phone, and not being the idiotic customer at the same time. Work in a call centre (and not just be a robot) teaches you what other call centres are going through/expecting whenever you need to call them up.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Finnvitka
Denim Demon

Postby Finnvitka » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:06 pm

siliconfury wrote:
Finnvitka wrote:I used to be awful on the phone

Same. It forces you to learn how to act on the phone, and not being the idiotic customer at the same time. Work in a call centre (and not just be a robot) teaches you what other call centres are going through/expecting whenever you need to call them up.

I was my centre's best agent. I have a well posh phone voice and made even the most awful customers behave themselves.

Its on my list of jobs never to do again if I can help it.
tumblr|facebook
[Josh] i fucking love bottom ;_;

ImageImageImage

Prometherion91
Denim Demon

Postby Prometherion91 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:06 pm

Why do I drink so much so often. D:
Womble wrote:Petri isn't fat. He's just ribbed for her pleasure.