What pissed you off today

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Smee
Leather Rebel

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby Smee » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:38 pm

Fjar wrote:Surely if you've done a Dutch equivalent of an A-Level you could go to university in the UK? There's only that, and your ability to speak English (which doesn't appear to be a problem at all), surely?

Well I thought that what I did was similar to A-levels but our education system is completely different so I'm not sure now. Basically we have three levels in secondary school, VMBO, HAVO and VWO. VMBO is not important in this case so forget about that one.
I started with a combination of HAVO and VWO for the first two years, then continued VWO for another year, than did 2 years of HAVO and got that degree. HAVO gets you to HBO (which, literally translated, means Higher Professional Education) in the Netherlands. However, you can do HBO for one year and then go to uni, but you can't go straight to uni with just HAVO. But then there's the fact that our HBO studies are all considered as bachelor so that should be quite similar to English uni. :|
Not to mention the fact that we work with "profiles" here, basically a combination of subjects you take in the last 2 years of HAVO. I chose the "Nature and Health" one which would get me in pretty much all bachelor studies as it's considered the most difficult profile, whereas other profiles would give me less options.
Oh and we don't need certain degrees for subjects to apply for a study, as long as you have a piece of paper that says you passed, you're in.
And when it comes to my English, I'll have to go to the Netherlands to do some stupid test to prove it's good enough, hah.

God it would be lovely if education worked the same in every country.
Last edited by Smee on Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Women have feelings. Without them, rape would be useless."

http://www.facebook.com/smeez0rz
http://www.last.fm/user/Smeez0rz

Finnvitka
Denim Demon

Postby Finnvitka » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:39 pm

RB2610 wrote:
Finnvitka wrote:Between three people, our bill at the Hard Rock Café came to 800kr-, bearing in mind we shared a side and dessert, and had soft drinks.

That's about £75 for three burgers, a salad and a sundae. WTF.

Did you not know that Sweden has among the highest living costs in Europe?

Yes, I am fully aware of this.

However, 800kr- is excessive even by Swedish standards, for three people
tumblr|facebook
[Josh] i fucking love bottom ;_;

ImageImageImage

black_rose
Leather Rebel

Postby black_rose » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:49 pm

Smee wrote:Care to explain what on earth a foundation course is? :P

Wikipedia says...

Also, some uni's, I believe, offer the option of taking an addition (foundation) year on a degree if people are lacking the necessary qualifications, although I'm not entirely sure how it works.

Or looking at 6th form colleges could also work, maybe?

I'm kinda guessing here...
Maybe I am just the road, dreaming that I walk

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:55 pm

Smee wrote:
Fjar wrote:Surely if you've done a Dutch equivalent of an A-Level you could go to university in the UK? There's only that, and your ability to speak English (which doesn't appear to be a problem at all), surely?

Well I thought that what I did was similar to A-levels but our education system is completely different so I'm not sure now. Basically we have three levels in secondary school, VMBO, HAVO and VWO. VMBO is not important in this case so forget about that one.
I started with a combination of HAVO and VWO for the first two years, then continued VWO for another year, than did 2 years of HAVO and got that degree. HAVO gets you to HBO (which, literally translated, means Higher Professional Education) in the Netherlands. However, you can do HBO for one year and then go to uni, but you can't go straight to uni with just HAVO. But then there's the fact that our HBO studies are all considered as bachelor so that should be quite similar to English uni. :|
Not to mention the fact that we work with "profiles" here, basically a combination of subjects you take in the last 2 years of HAVO. I chose the "Nature and Health" one which would get me in pretty much all bachelor studies as it's considered the most difficult profile, whereas other profiles would give me less options.
Oh and we don't need certain degrees for subjects to apply for a study, as long as you have a piece of paper that says you passed, you're in.
And when it comes to my English, I'll have to go to the Netherlands to do some stupid test to prove it's good enough, hah.

I just had a look at the Dutch education system, yeah, it looks confusing as hell. :lol:

As black_rose suggests, I think a foundation course is the way to go. You've obviously got some grounding in secondary education, all you need to do is just get up to speed with the standard that UK universities require. If you've passed that HAVO thing, surely you're ok to study in the UK? I don't know, though. Best thing would be to get into contact with the university you think you'll study at, they'd be able to tell you.
Also, I read that 50% of classes in the Netherlands are taught in English.. if that doesn't count towards demonstration of proficient English, then something's wrong with the education system over here! Also, anyone who speaks to you can see you can speak bloody English. :lol:
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

RB2610
Denim Demon

Postby RB2610 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:56 pm

Smee wrote:

This should help hopefully :)
http://www.ucas.com/students/wheretostart/nonukstudents/

Looking through what it says on UCAS, this may be of help also:
http://www.naric.org.uk/

Apparently they can provide details of what your qualifications count as in the UK and it says on UCAS that whatever they say is official and Uni's (or employers for that matter) will accept you on that basis.
Winner of "The who are you again? Award for people who seem to slip under the radar, despite posting regularly" 2009!!

Dan Jenkins
Denim Demon

Postby Dan Jenkins » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:05 pm

Last edited by Dan Jenkins on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amelia
Consort of the Beast

Postby Amelia » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:07 pm

Smee wrote:

well, it appears that the one thing that american schools have over other countries is its simplicity. jesus christ that's complicated.

Smee
Leather Rebel

Postby Smee » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:38 pm

Yeeeeah, I give up for today. Think I'll just go to one of the uni's here tomorrow, see if they have some more info.
"Women have feelings. Without them, rape would be useless."

http://www.facebook.com/smeez0rz
http://www.last.fm/user/Smeez0rz

tranmerefan
Denim Demon

Postby tranmerefan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:10 pm

Just spilt tea on my desk and keyboard. :x

Mopped up now and seems to still work. *fingers crossed*

edit: its dead. numerous keys are dead :(
Last edited by tranmerefan on Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last.fm Profile

Facebook

BLIND GUARDIANl; FEN; A FOREST OF STARS; FEN; NIGHTWISH; FEN; OLD CORPSE ROAD; FEN; UFO; FEN; WODENSTHRONE; FEN; AGALLOCH AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FEN FOR BOA 2014

Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Postby Littlemissmetal » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:59 pm

Twaddlefish wrote:God damn cat.

It appears I'm allergic to a stray that my housemate has taken in off the street. It's not fleas because no one else is reacting, and all she's concerned about is what it'll do if/when we kick it out. I seem to recall that I'm paying rent here, not that fucking cat.

The same thing it clearly did before - survive?
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.

Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:49 pm

Listening to songs from musicals and arias from operas. I so desperately want to practise singing - but I can't do it anywhere. There's a guy in my house who's a bit of an elitist musician and he told me I was shit the last time he heard me singing quite drunkenly. It makes me quite sad. I feel like I've got a bit of tape across my mouth, I can't sing, only talk. Fuck damn it.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:58 pm

Littlemissmetal wrote:
Twaddlefish wrote:God damn cat.

It appears I'm allergic to a stray that my housemate has taken in off the street. It's not fleas because no one else is reacting, and all she's concerned about is what it'll do if/when we kick it out. I seem to recall that I'm paying rent here, not that fucking cat.

The same thing it clearly did before - survive?

Kick it out subtly. That's what I'd do anyway.
Fjar wrote:I can't tell if she's got sun cream on or she's getting crusty round the edges..

I WRITE THINGS
last.fm

logandog1
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby logandog1 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:04 pm

Fjar wrote:Listening to songs from musicals and arias from operas. I so desperately want to practise singing - but I can't do it anywhere. There's a guy in my house who's a bit of an elitist musician and he told me I was shit the last time he heard me singing quite drunkenly. It makes me quite sad. I feel like I've got a bit of tape across my mouth, I can't sing, only talk. Fuck damn it.

Don't be controlled by somebody elses view.
Does it matter if he doesn't like it.
Mary had a little lamb its fleece was coloured red
The reason for the colouring was the axe stuck in its head

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:27 pm

Ive just come back from Newcastle :D best weekend ever, followed by most brutal hangover ever :( :cry:

madjock666
Consort of the Beast

Postby madjock666 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:29 am

Fuckin rugby fans.
Ignorant stuck up arrogant pricks!
Have no idea what "excuse me" means and then give you dirty looks when you have to push your way past. Think they are so much better than football fans when they aint. Find them rude and unpleasant. So up themselves. Well the hooray henrys can take their barbor jackets and 4 by 4s and fuck off back to where they came from. Oh and folks with surnames for first names are tossers.
TANTUM RELIGIO POTUIT SUADERE MALORUM