What pissed you off today

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Jim
Denim Demon

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby Jim » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:05 pm

I wanna start a debate with you lot:

Can the technical experts of us here please tell me how certain woods from which an electric guitar is made affects it's tone?

My thought is that the signal that goes down the lead is generated from the pickup, which induces a current from the motion of the strings, whose harmonics are generated from the string material and its resonance between the steel saddle and nut. Body construction appears to have no relevance on how the string harmony is shaped.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Strapping Young Kate
Paster of Muppets

Postby Strapping Young Kate » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:07 pm

I also keep getting random (other than Bloodstock-related) adds on MSN, but I'm always hiding on appear offline anyway.

And I think I have sunburn on my eyelids.
Moonburp wrote:Now everyone has Daniel Radcliffe's todger burned into their retinas and I feel like it's my fault.

Turbo wrote:Dont fucking diss the Babybel, sheep shagger.

isabiggles
Denim Demon

Postby isabiggles » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:07 pm

siliconfury wrote:I wanna start a debate with you lot:

Can the technical experts of us here please tell me how certain woods from which an electric guitar is made affects it's tone?

My thought is that the signal that goes down the lead is generated from the pickup, which induces a current from the motion of the strings, whose harmonics are generated from the string material and its resonance between the steel saddle and nut. Body construction appears to have no relevance on how the string harmony is shaped.

I don't know for a certain but different quality woods create different tones. Some woods create a smoother sound and others a sharper sound. I'd assume it just has something to do with its physical properties.
Turbo wrote:Nice one Will.

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:08 pm

Im not sure, I know its definitely more important on an acoustic.

Does it not help with sustain?
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

kle110
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby kle110 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:08 pm

twilightoftheidols wrote:
kle110 wrote:Mine doesn't look metal though really. This is mine:

So there :P

thats actually nice... you sure its a Dean? :P

Haha :D Yeah, Dean Evo Xm. Glad you agree hehe :P
http://www.deanguitars.com/bnds_v1/evo_xm.htm

twilightoftheidols
Denim Demon

Postby twilightoftheidols » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:09 pm

Well it depends on the density of the wood I think... For example a Les Paul is thick and made of mahogany which is gives loads of sustain... I Honestly have no idea though :P

I'm hoping Alex is typing a nice long response as he seems the type to know about this :P
Insurgency - War Thrashing Chaos - Militant Death Cult MLP due September 2017 https://insurgencythrashuk.bandcamp.com

Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Postby Littlemissmetal » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:10 pm

Ask Alex. I'm pretty sure he tried explaining something about it to me the other day - I do try and take it in but... I've slept since then ok??! :lol:
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.

Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:12 pm

twilightoftheidols wrote:Well it depends on the density of the wood I think... For example a Les Paul is thick and made of mahogany which is gives loads of sustain... I Honestly have no idea though :P

Just listen to the sustain! (but don't touch it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB6zw6RSZzU

Calibur
Denim Demon

Postby Calibur » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:22 pm

Jus' plain lonely.

Twaddlefish
Denim Demon

Postby Twaddlefish » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:33 pm

I know why fingerboards are made from different materials, the darker woods like rosewood and ebony give warmer, richer tones and the maple ones give a brighter, janglier sound.

As for bodies, mahogany is great for darker, softer tone as well as being damn near indestructible.

Ash, poplar and alder are the main three that Fenders are made from, and give a lighter tone, that gives more of a bite than a crunch when it comes to overdrive. Flame tops are usually made of a thin veneer of maple that doesn't add a lot to the sound, but is mainly for superficial purposes.

All in all, heavier wood = darker, richer tone. ITT = Get a fucking Gibson.
Littlemissmetal wrote:Women are stupid, as a rule.

Latest review: Ensiferum - Unsung Heroes

HollyTheHeadbanger
Denim Demon

Postby HollyTheHeadbanger » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:33 pm

Bodyache.

Aargh.

twilightoftheidols
Denim Demon

Postby twilightoftheidols » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:38 pm

Twaddlefish wrote:I know why fingerboards are made from different materials, the darker woods like rosewood and ebony give warmer, richer tones and the maple ones give a brighter, janglier sound.

As for bodies, mahogany is great for darker, softer tone as well as being damn near indestructible.

Ash, poplar and alder are the main three that Fenders are made from, and give a lighter tone, that gives more of a bite than a crunch when it comes to overdrive. Flame tops are usually made of a thin veneer of maple that doesn't add a lot to the sound, but is mainly for superficial purposes.

All in all, heavier wood = darker, richer tone. ITT = Get a fucking Gibson.

or an ESP that looks like one if you play extreme metal :P
Insurgency - War Thrashing Chaos - Militant Death Cult MLP due September 2017 https://insurgencythrashuk.bandcamp.com

Metallinen
Paster of Muppets

Postby Metallinen » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:39 pm

This question can be answered with one word. Resonance.

When you pick/pluck/strum/smack/tickle a guitar string, the whole guitar vibrates with it. It's therefore not only the type of wood that effects the sound but how much of it. Hence why an SG, for example sounds 'thinner' than a Les Paul. Both are (normally) mahogany guitars, but the Les Paul has more wood in it, leading to a 'thicker' tone.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:50 pm

i just rickrolled myself... twice :lol:

jackcake
Denim Demon

Postby jackcake » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:01 am

kle110 wrote:
twilightoftheidols wrote:Dean guitars are a disgrace to music :P

I love my Dean! It's my favourite, even over my Jackson! How very dare you :P

You haven't played for over a year and you go nuts when I offer to change the strings for you. :P
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Last.fm