What pissed you off today

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Strapping Young Kate
Paster of Muppets

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby Strapping Young Kate » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:09 pm

Selfishness.
Moonburp wrote:Now everyone has Daniel Radcliffe's todger burned into their retinas and I feel like it's my fault.

Turbo wrote:Dont fucking diss the Babybel, sheep shagger.

Metallinen
Paster of Muppets

Postby Metallinen » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:20 pm

RedTeamWins wrote:
Finnvitka wrote:
RedTeamWins wrote:This essay.
Basically its about the status of certain languages in the UK and so I'm having to do a bit about Welsh as one of the 'indigenous' (I hate that word) languages. So now I'm having to do an overview of past attitudes to the language and pretend I know about Welsh history. Which I don't in the least. I also have to pretend I care in order to get anything done. Which I don't in the least.

Wikipedia Acts of Union 1536, Morgan's Bible and Griffith Jones's Welsh schools in the 17th century, it's basically all you need for it.

I didn't get the job at the Ministry of Justice, ah well :(

Cheers for the help but no can do on wikipedia, not if I want to reference it anyway.
I looked up the 1940-something, 1960-something and 1990-something Welsh Language Acts on the HM Courts Service site, and got a bunch of propaganda from the Welsh Language Board so it sould be enough seeing as I'm not supposed to be either a historian or a lawyer.
I could do with looking up that one on Welsh Schools for examples though.

Why do people think Wikipedia is the only way to find anything out? It's great for a brief overview on a topic, but you should never need to reference it.

Firstly, Google scholar is amazing for finding journal articles, many of which you don't need a licence to access.

Secondly, unless it is stuck in the last century, your university's library will have an online catalogue of all the journal subscriptions which you are able to access from home. It will also have digitised copies of it's most popular textbooks. You will be able to search for terms contained throughout the entire texts. It's really easy to gather subjective quotes from real academically recognised sources this way and will instantly make your essay look amazing, even if you barely know what you're talking about.

/librarian rant.

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:23 pm

Feeling raaather ill. :(

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:44 pm

Metallinen wrote:
Why do people think Wikipedia is the only way to find anything out? It's great for a brief overview on a topic, but you should never need to reference it.

Firstly, Google scholar is amazing for finding journal articles, many of which you don't need a licence to access.

Secondly, unless it is stuck in the last century, your university's library will have an online catalogue of all the journal subscriptions which you are able to access from home. It will also have digitised copies of it's most popular textbooks. You will be able to search for terms contained throughout the entire texts. It's really easy to gather subjective quotes from real academically recognised sources this way and will instantly make your essay look amazing, even if you barely know what you're talking about.

/librarian rant.

Your dedication to journals brings a tear to my eye! KEEP SPREADING THE WORD GOOD SIR!
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Strapping Young Kate
Paster of Muppets

Postby Strapping Young Kate » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:52 pm

And mine!

I love finding disgustingly smartarse quotes from old journals. Makes me feel like a real nerd. :yes:
Moonburp wrote:Now everyone has Daniel Radcliffe's todger burned into their retinas and I feel like it's my fault.

Turbo wrote:Dont fucking diss the Babybel, sheep shagger.

metalsam
Denim Demon

Postby metalsam » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:14 pm

If you want free physics journals (because y'all blatantly do), then google NASA ADS.

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:38 pm

Our uni has a fantastic ammount of jornals and a pretty easy method of accessing them all online. Despite all that Wiki is still generally faster to find out what I need, as I'm a first year on a course with a 'no previous experience of the subject neccessary' policy and so no in depth knowledge of anything is needed. Ever.
My current method of internet plus a couple of the core texts are getting me As so meh.

Finnvitka
Denim Demon

Postby Finnvitka » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:40 pm

Jstor. You should be able to log in using your uni's server and your uni email and password.

It has eeeeeverything, it can be a pain in the arse to find relevant stuff though
tumblr|facebook
[Josh] i fucking love bottom ;_;

ImageImageImage

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:49 pm

Finnvitka wrote:Jstor. You should be able to log in using your uni's server and your uni email and password.

It has eeeeeverything, it can be a pain in the arse to find relevant stuff though

I'd have been totally screwed at uni without JSTOR. Also, Sage journals online is pretty good.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Freyja
Denim Demon

Postby Freyja » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:54 pm

Being ranted at for wearing bullet belt and boots daily.Sigh.

Also blokey is talking of going to Brutal Assault, which I would love to go to other than the fact that its the same weekend as Bloodstock. Rarrgh, I want to go to both and now I dont know which to choose.
Littlemissmetal wrote:I'm 21 and have never touched mine :eyes:

http://blackmetalwine.wordpress.com/

Metallinen
Paster of Muppets

Postby Metallinen » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:56 pm

keera_envenomed wrote:
Finnvitka wrote:Jstor. You should be able to log in using your uni's server and your uni email and password.

I'd have been totally screwed at uni without JSTOR. Also, Sage journals online is pretty good.

You shouldn't have to log into the individual suppliers' sites. The library's catalogue should be able to search them all simultaneously, or allow you to select which ones you want to include in your search.

Kami
Leather Rebel

Postby Kami » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:04 pm

Had a Uni assignment which we were given a few months ago, and basically on Monday I had to start it completely from scratch because it was broken. Was frantically trying to finish it yesterday before the 4 o'clock deadline to find that it wouldn't compile so had to take some stuff out of it, and then only hand half of it in in an attempt to get it in before the deadline. 5 minutes before 4 o'clock my computer crashes and it turns out it wasn't handed in before the deadline anyway. Today I keep remembering stuff that I forgot to put in, the assignment is worth 50% of one of my units...it's not looking good.

Also today I went on a run, ended up throwing up and finding out that my knee is still fucked.

My phone has also just deleted all my messages.

FFS :x
I'm running 1000km (6 Marathons, 26 Half Marathons & 20 10ks) this year so sponsor me ya bastards!

Manadh
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Manadh » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:03 pm

Estate agents have phoned up and said we can't look around the house tonight because someone put an offer in on it and they've accepted :x :x

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:08 pm

Managed to walk into a door and bend one of my fingers perpendicular to the rest of the hand. Not broken but bloody hurts.
Also, accidentally managed to buy an album I already own. What's the likelihood of me being able to wander back and swap it?

Finnvitka
Denim Demon

Postby Finnvitka » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:26 pm

Big D wrote:Managed to walk into a door and bend one of my fingers perpendicular to the rest of the hand. Not broken but bloody hurts.
Also, accidentally managed to buy an album I already own. What's the likelihood of me being able to wander back and swap it?

You'd be fine with that to be honest.
tumblr|facebook
[Josh] i fucking love bottom ;_;

ImageImageImage