What pissed you off today

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Fjar
Denim Demon

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby Fjar » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:20 pm

CrapyMike wrote:it shouldnt be mandatory at all :rolleyes: if you want to do it, do it, if you dont, then dont. its not a big deal imo. who cares if people are silent for two minutes? it doesnt make any difference to anyone

Ouch.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:24 pm

monkeynutz wrote:
Applecore wrote:It's about showing respect for those who gave their lives to protect this country.

Ouoted For Truth.

Apparently shutting your fucking mouth for two minutes a year is too much of a sacrifice for some people. :rolleyes:

Some people should really be jawwed for some of the antics ive seen. Im at work this Sunday and we'll most likely be observing a silence of some form. We did it a couple of years back and half way through the silence someone asked me where the sugar was. I just walked away from them without acknowledging their existance and stood somewhere else.

Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Postby Littlemissmetal » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:26 pm

CrapyMike wrote:its not a big deal

I could spend a long time telling you why that's utter balls, but it'd run to the length of several essays and clearly be a waste of my time.

I agree with Craig, I think it's sad that it means less every year, seemingly.
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.

Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:27 pm

I feel a bit bad that I forgot, but I was silent at the time technically as no ones in the house, and I wasn't talking to my self. But I sort of had a few minutes when I realised instead.

I think it should be mandatory, I mean what's two minutes out of five hundred and twenty five thousand nine hundred and forty eight* in a year?

*at least google calculator tells me so
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Metallinen
Paster of Muppets

Postby Metallinen » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:27 pm

It's meaningless if it is mandatory. Being pressured into doing something just because everyone else is doing it is no different to not doing it at all.

Sure, organise yourselves so it happens at the same time, but the point is to take some of your own personal time to show respect and remembrance, not to save embarrassment because you're not following the herd.
Last edited by Metallinen on Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrapyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrapyMike » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:28 pm

there are other (better) ways to show respect. i spent my morning at the local community centre playing cards with a group of WW1 veterans and listening to their stories. i dont see what a two minute silence does for them, seems more that the people participating can feel like they're showing respect, but what good does it really do for the people who survived?
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Is there an actual science of giving medical diagnosis by sniffing poo? I sometimes have a bit of a wiff from the paper and get curious if it smells different than usual.

http://www.last.fm/user/CrappyMike

Ndnd
Denim Demon

Postby Ndnd » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:29 pm

I was shopping a few years ago during and almost everyone stood still and remembered.

Then some fucking muppet did a tannoy announcement 'will so and so go to so and so a customer waiting'.

Prat.

Actually I have to say although it appears to mean less and less each year to the general public it seems to make it mean more to me as I'm getting older.

I guess as a kid I didn't really get the deal with it, but it all makes more sense to me now.
Mau Mau
Noodle wrote:Darkweasel, Kim or sig in 3.... 2...

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:31 pm

CrapyMike wrote:there are other (better) ways to show respect. i spent my morning at the local community centre playing cards with a group of WW1 veterans and listening to their stories. i dont see what a two minute silence does for them, seems more that the people participating can feel like they're showing respect, but what good does it really do for the people who survived?

Its about those who died primarily though, remembering their sacrifice.

There's nothing anyone can do to help them now if were going to be technical about it, but two minutes is just a sign of respect, or appreciation for what they did.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

VirginInvader
Denim Demon

Postby VirginInvader » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:31 pm

What do you lot make of those death worshipping fascists burning poppies during the 2 minutes silence today then? Fucking cunts likie.
Seven Sisters - Proper Heavy Metal from London Town. Upcoming shows:

23/05 - Heavy Sound Festival, Poperinge, Belgium
18/07- Metalbrew, London
01/08 - The Black Heart, London
29/08- No Sleep 'Til Dublin

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:32 pm

CrapyMike wrote:there are other (better) ways to show respect. i spent my morning at the local community centre playing cards with a group of WW1 veterans and listening to their stories. i dont see what a two minute silence does for them, seems more that the people participating can feel like they're showing respect, but what good does it really do for the people who survived?

Its a mark of respect for those who died, and survived. The families of the ones who died, a consideration of what happened on the front line, and the home front too. This country has next to no traditions left, so it would be nice that just for 2 minutes people would be quiet.

monkeynutz
Consort of the Beast

Postby monkeynutz » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:32 pm

CrapyMike wrote:i spent my morning at the local community centre playing cards with a group of WW1 veterans and listening to their stories.

Maybe that's a typo, but as there are only 3 (confirmed) surviving WW1 veterans, that would seem unlikely.

monkeynutz
Consort of the Beast

Postby monkeynutz » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:34 pm

VirginInvader wrote:What do you lot make of those death worshipping fascists burning poppies during the 2 minutes silence today then? Fucking cunts likie.

Haven't seen this reported yet?

I suppose those people died to protect their right to protest... and my right to call people like that utter cnuts who I wish would FOAD in a fire :x
Last edited by monkeynutz on Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:35 pm

monkeynutz wrote:
CrapyMike wrote:i spent my morning at the local community centre playing cards with a group of WW1 veterans and listening to their stories.

Maybe that's a typo, but as there are only 3 (confirmed) surviving WW1 veterans, that would seem unlikely.

Yeah and only one lives in the UK.

Strapping Young Kate
Paster of Muppets

Postby Strapping Young Kate » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:38 pm

monkeynutz wrote:
Applecore wrote:It's about showing respect for those who gave their lives to protect this country.

Ouoted For Truth.

Apparently shutting your fucking mouth for two minutes a year is too much of a sacrifice for some people. :rolleyes:

My thoughts as well. Times like this I feel (even more) like a grumpy old woman. The whole apathetic 'it's not gonna change anything, why bother' attitude is really depressing.
Moonburp wrote:Now everyone has Daniel Radcliffe's todger burned into their retinas and I feel like it's my fault.

Turbo wrote:Dont fucking diss the Babybel, sheep shagger.

Metallinen
Paster of Muppets

Postby Metallinen » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:49 pm

monkeynutz wrote:
VirginInvader wrote:What do you lot make of those death worshipping fascists burning poppies during the 2 minutes silence today then? Fucking cunts likie.

Haven't seen this reported yet?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... e-Day.html

It would be the Daily Mail to report it. They love a good bit of extremism to fire up some healthy racism in middle England. Actions of the few don't represent the many and all that.

This particular group of idiots really have spectacularly missed the point, though. Today is not about politics or religion, it's about young men and women who lost their lives doing their duty and knowing no better. Save your sick protests for the people at the top who give the orders but never fight.