What pissed you off today

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
CrapyMike
Denim Demon

Re: What pissed you off today

Postby CrapyMike » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:50 pm

it's easy if you do your job properly. if you sell someone alcohol and they're 17, and its a test shop by trading standards, as long as you can prove you do ask people you can say you thought they were old enough and it was an honest mistake and you wont get fined, if you never ask and get caught out your fucked
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Is there an actual science of giving medical diagnosis by sniffing poo? I sometimes have a bit of a wiff from the paper and get curious if it smells different than usual.

http://www.last.fm/user/CrappyMike

RB2610
Denim Demon

Postby RB2610 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:05 am

Maybe there is a specific restriction for knives, but I know for sure that at least in England, a kid can bring an 18 rated game or film to the till and ask to buy it, you have to give it to them if they call their parents over to oversee the sale, I think the same applies for alcohol, but I never found myself in such a situation while at M&S.
Winner of "The who are you again? Award for people who seem to slip under the radar, despite posting regularly" 2009!!

CrapyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrapyMike » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:10 am

i dont think that should be allowed, for things rated PG yeah fair enough, but i'd sell PG rated games to a kid anyway, but i think that defeats the purpose of age ratings. i know here its illegal to buy alcohol for a minor, and its illegal to sell it to someone you know is buying it for a minor. and its also illegal for anyone to sell restricted items to someone if they've been refused the sale by someone else

the sale of knives law up here takes it a bit far though, i got in shit at my old job for not asking a 70 year old woman for ID :|
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Is there an actual science of giving medical diagnosis by sniffing poo? I sometimes have a bit of a wiff from the paper and get curious if it smells different than usual.

RB2610
Denim Demon

Postby RB2610 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:45 am

Not 100% sure about buying alcohol for a minor, I think if you're their parent it's allowed as of course in the privacy of your own home it's legal for anyone over to consume alcohol, just an adult has to make the purchase.
Winner of "The who are you again? Award for people who seem to slip under the radar, despite posting regularly" 2009!!

Ndnd
Denim Demon

Postby Ndnd » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:07 am

Back from an amazing Honeymoon to normal life.

No sun, Loads of Washing and my front room actually looks like a tip :(
Mau Mau
Noodle wrote:Darkweasel, Kim or sig in 3.... 2...

Kami
Leather Rebel

Postby Kami » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:16 am

As far as I've been told when I worked at Sainsbury's if you suspected that the Adult, parent or not, was buying the alcohol specifically for the underage person then you had to flat out refuse them.

I had to laugh over the summer when some 8 year old kid tried to buy a 15 rated dvd and I refused him, his mother then started arguing with before I quite simply told her that regardless of what the product is, if it has an age restriction I cannot sell it to someone underage. She then said "Fine, I'll buy it." I was like no you still can't buy it, because you are quite obviously buying it for your underage son.
I'm running 1000km (6 Marathons, 26 Half Marathons & 20 10ks) this year so sponsor me ya bastards!

CrapyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrapyMike » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:35 am

it's great. i remember being young enough to try and buy 15's and act annoyed when i got asked for ID, now i get to do it to other people :P

AlixB
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby AlixB » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:52 am

CrapyMike wrote:it's easy if you do your job properly.

So's brain surgery :P Nah I just don't like dealing with the public. I did it for a few years (in hospitality and reception, not retail) and it was always the most stressful part of the job. Now I just have to deal with people who have fancy university degrees :lol:

Back on topic:
Some random drug fiend off the street just decided to interupt our jam session to "listen to one song." He talked so much shit like he knew what he was on about and you could smell him a mile away. Collectively we're too polite to tell people like that to bugger off, but bloody hell they didn't have to say yes when he asked if he could. Bleh.

metalsam
Denim Demon

Postby metalsam » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:24 am

RB2610 wrote:
CrapyMike wrote:i havent had a chance to ID anyone like that yet, although in blacks i had a guy shouting at me cause he asked me to get him a pen knife out of the display cabinet, so i did, and he handed it to his clearly 8 year old son, the son said he wanted it and i refused the sale. he was shouting and swearing and i just stood there smiling and he really looked like he wanted to punch me but knew it wouldnt go well for him if he did :lol: it actually made my day
im looking forward to many similar moments in sainsburys, and if i get the job, gamestation

You do realise that if an adult comes in with their child and says they are fine with the child purchasing an age restricted item that you have to let them have it...

That's bull, you don't have to sell anyone anything. You can refuse sale to anyone you like.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:07 am

metalsam wrote:That's bull, you don't have to sell anyone anything. You can refuse sale to anyone you like.

This is correct. The customer is always right, except for when they are wrong.

If it's age related their are the obvious reasons, underage, no id, parent doesn't understand product so can inform and then refuse sale due to content.

If the parent is aware and accept that they are buying something with certain content for a child underage the parent has to pay, but we still have the right to refuse sale. Generally it's easier to sell as it is then technically not illegal, but we are obliged to make them understand it may not be appropriate. This would be the same for any age related product. What they do with it in the privacy of there own home is up to them as long as an 'adult' is purchasing & we have discussed any misgivings.

We have same issues with trade in, we require a signature which means we need an adult present if trading in certain games for credit. All games traded in for cash require an adult to be present.

Pricing errors, we can remove from sale for up to 48 hours for repricing and do not have to sell product at a lower price, providing that at least one item or price display is at correct price. If everything is priced incorrectly it's our mess and we have to discount.

And of course the favourite of refusing sale & service to customers we feel are being offensive.

The basic theory is, be nice to those of us who are selling you age related stuff, because we may just decide not too if in a bad mood.

i_am_a_viking
Paster of Muppets

Postby i_am_a_viking » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:08 am

On the way to Sheffield I almost ended up in an accident where this Corsa full of nobheads pulled out in front of me. If I hadn't found my brake in time all 6 of us could easily be dead.

And on the way back my fucking dash light kept flicking on and off so I was forced to do some incredibly dangerous driving not knowing what speed I was doing :| thankfully I didn't get pulled over else I'd have been fucking screwed :ugh:

Not only that but I now need to go to the fucking garage to probably spend too much money I don't have on a problem that is probably simple :(
We raise our wooden pints and we yoik and sing and we fight and dance til the morning!

HollyTheHeadbanger
Denim Demon

Postby HollyTheHeadbanger » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:21 am

Check your alternator. Loads of lights and shit went nuts on my dad's car and seriously, all that was needed was a little tap with a metal rod or something on the alternator and it was as right as rain.

Finnvitka
Denim Demon

Postby Finnvitka » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:44 am

It is completely illegal to supply alcohol to a minor.

wpmot? Having to use facial wash and moisturiser that isn't my own. Ow tight face. Ow. Go away.
tumblr|facebook
[Josh] i fucking love bottom ;_;

ImageImageImage

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:54 am

Finnvitka wrote:It is completely illegal to knowingly supply alcohol to a minor

That seems unfair when they made such a handy pod to deliver it to them. :)

Kami
Leather Rebel

Postby Kami » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:46 pm

i_am_a_viking wrote:On the way to Sheffield I almost ended up in an accident where this Corsa full of nobheads pulled out in front of me. If I hadn't found my brake in time all 6 of us could easily be dead.

And on the way back my fucking dash light kept flicking on and off so I was forced to do some incredibly dangerous driving not knowing what speed I was doing :| thankfully I didn't get pulled over else I'd have been fucking screwed :ugh:

Not only that but I now need to go to the fucking garage to probably spend too much money I don't have on a problem that is probably simple :(

HollyTheHeadbanger wrote:Check your alternator. Loads of lights and shit went nuts on my dad's car and seriously, all that was needed was a little tap with a metal rod or something on the alternator and it was as right as rain.

Yeah the rents said that the two might be linked, and you knocked a wire loose or somin when you braked so sharply...so I'll have to pretend to be a man and have a look.
I'm running 1000km (6 Marathons, 26 Half Marathons & 20 10ks) this year so sponsor me ya bastards!