movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
bungle
Denim Demon

movies

Postby bungle » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:43 pm

dont no how long this will last but if you have seen any good movies recently or any bad ones the tell us the name of them

good: last king of scotland (well i thought it was good)

bad: perfume (a story about a murderer). avoid this film it is utter shite but the misses wanted to see it

Jonoleth
Denim Demon

Postby Jonoleth » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:26 pm

I've heard good things about Last King Of Sctoland, wouldnt mind seeing it at some point.

Some recentish ones I've seen and enjoyed:
Apocalypto - Ace film, beautifully shot, gory enough and a plot that is remarkably un-hampered by the lack of english, perfect example of how to sit a film in between hollywood blockbuster and artistic vision.
Flags Of Our Fathers - Surprisingly un-sentimental war film, good balance of hot war action and plot, maybe not the best film ever but worth a watch.
Rocky - Ace. No more words required. :lol:
Blood Diamond - Good plot, acceptable acting, terrible accent from Leo DiCaprio, that aside though it was worth the time to watch, doubt I'll remember it as anything special mind...

Vans
Lowly Peon

Postby Vans » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:27 pm

King of Scotland? Cool! :D

Seen Pursuit of Happyness, its pretty good, but weird, especially with Will Smith, you would expect a bit more humour. :|

Also, Night at the Museum was pretty hilarious at bits. Soo much cheese! :lol:

lars_ulrichs_blister
Denim Demon

Postby lars_ulrichs_blister » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:53 pm

Employee of the month - avoid like the plague, bag of shite.
If God is black then he is Samuel L Jackson

Katze
Warrior of Metal

Postby Katze » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:13 pm

Bad:
Smokin' Aces - I was dragged by my friends cause it was some guys birthday. Maybe it would appeal to males, but I thought it was pretty..crap. I didn't stay til the end for different reasons, but I didn't want to either cause I was bored to tears.
Last edited by Katze on Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bauul
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bauul » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:33 pm

Katze wrote:Bad:
Smokin' Aces - I was dragged by my friends cause it was someone guys birthday. Maybe it would appeal to males, but I thought it was pretty..crap. I didn't stay til the end for different reasons, but I didn't want to either cause I was bored to tears.

So much potential, so utterly wasted. I usually love films like that, but save for a few moments (namely the gun fights) I thought Smokin' Aces was utter tosh.

Good film: Pan's Labyrinth. This isn't really a fantasy film, don't be fooled by the one dimensional promotion, it's actually far more than that. The highlights of the film are actually nothing to do with any labyrinths or anything remotely fantasy based, really it's just a damn good story about the sturggle for survival against fascist oppressors during WW2.

Film I can't wait for: Hot Fuzz. Nuff said.

(Ok, little bit more to say: if you haven't seen the trailer, consider yourself slapped with a salomn, and go here: http://www.workingtitlefilms.com/trailers/hotfuzz_trailer_xlarge.php)

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:47 pm

Looking forward to Hot Fuzz!
Want to see King of Scotland and Blood Diamond, got naff all else to do this weekend and no money, so i may go see them.

Seen recently:
Rocky: Awesome!,
Miss Potter: Surprsingly very good!,
Night at the museum: Ok for a ben stiller film!
Smokin Aces: Agree with Baaul, was a waste of some good ideas.
Saw Pans Labyrinth ages ago. I quite enjoyed it. It wasn't as fantastical as I thought it was gonna be, but still quite a moving film.

Xzar
Denim Demon

Postby Xzar » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:29 pm

Looking forward to Hot Fuzz too!

Films I've watched recently (most of these I've seen before but bought on DVD recently)

Paperhouse - Pretty good cult psychological horror, very good acting from the child in the starring role, but terrible acting from the mother which really brings it down! Good film, but overrated, as most of these obscurities tend to be.

Blade Runner (Directors' Cut) - Not sure if I like it more than the original (I miss the narration) but still a classic film.

Capote - Biopic isn't the right word as it only deals with a small section of Truman Capote's life as he investigates the murders that inspired 'In Cold Blood', but it was a very interesting look into the guy's psyche and the culture of the time.

City of God - Always good. Br00tal and thought provoking.

Last Action Hero - Gets a bad rap but I really like it for trying to do something different, and for all the reference spotting you can do. Excellent film.

The Odessa File - Another classic. Not much to say here, but it's a great movie.

Lick Mars
I am the Law!

Postby Lick Mars » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:33 am

Rocky Balboa - good! aint gonna say more

Elephant - got this on DVD, good film, the day of a high school shooting, basically shows what everyone was doing that day then the final 'event'. It doesn't attempt to show any motive from the shooters, it only gives slight hints as to how they might have been influenced, like showing one of them playing a video game where they shoot people. Basicaly watching this won't give you any insight into why they might have done it, sympathise with the shooters, nor the other kids it follows really. It just shows what happened, which is better IMO cos its not biased or following all the theories the press came up with after the columbine shooting for example. My only gripe is the ending, it feels like it ends 5 minutes too soon. But you can guess what would happen anyway I suppose

Ilse ('Them) - low budget french thriller/horror. The story seems pretty unoriginal at first, a couple stuck in a house and 'something' trying to get in and get them. But its filmed really well, has a lot of jumpy moments, sound effects and loads of suspense, it has better results than most hollywood flicks of that kind. Also has a bit of a twist at the end that makes it interesting. Based on a true story apparently but I'm yet to find any info on real events relating to it..oh and is subtitled, but dialogue is unimporant anyway.

bungle
Denim Demon

Postby bungle » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:33 am

Jonoleth wrote:I've heard good things about Last King Of Sctoland, wouldnt mind seeing it at some point.

Apocalypto - Ace film, beautifully shot, gory enough and a plot that is remarkably un-hampered by the lack of english, perfect example of how to sit a film in between hollywood blockbuster and artistic vision.

i actually refuse to go and see that film as the story is completly wrong. how can you make a film about the end of the mayang society by the spanish when the spanish didnt arrive till about 5 centurys after the end of the mayang society

king_of_fools
Warrior of Metal

Postby king_of_fools » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:37 am

Saw Hannibal Rising last night. Got to say I was very disappointed. The fact the film was rushed is evident, I was expecting more after reading the book which I loved. If your a fan of the series you may enjoy but otherwise I don't recomend it.

Rezzie
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Rezzie » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:08 pm

bungle wrote:
Jonoleth wrote:I've heard good things about Last King Of Sctoland, wouldnt mind seeing it at some point.

i actually refuse to go and see that film as the story is completly wrong. how can you make a film about the end of the mayang society by the spanish when the spanish didnt arrive till about 5 centurys after the end of the mayang society

Since when have Hollywood ever left fact/History get in the way of making a film.

lars_ulrichs_blister
Denim Demon

Postby lars_ulrichs_blister » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:04 pm

Rezzie wrote:
bungle wrote:

Since when have Hollywood ever left fact/History get in the way of making a film.

U-571 for example??
If God is black then he is Samuel L Jackson

Bauul
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bauul » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:12 am

lars_ulrichs_blister wrote:
Rezzie wrote:
bungle wrote:

U-571 for example??

My thoughts exactly. As far as Holywood is concerned what happened in the past is exactly what will make the most amount of money at the box office, nothing to do with how accurate it is.

That said, Clint Eastwood has done himself quite proud with Flags of our Fathers / Letters from Iwo Jima, but then again Clint Eastwood has always been cool.

Rob Bannister
Festival Compere

Postby Rob Bannister » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:04 am

Going to see Charlotte's Web today! Hurrah!!!!!!
The mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the earth!