movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: movies

Postby angel_of_death » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:46 pm

Luke_X wrote:The 3rd MiB3 trailer looks good. plenty of new footage and more about the story. as long as it isn't as bad as the 2nd film I'll be happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=119Gn8a6eiw

Everyone involved has admitted that the 2nd film was shit, and claim this one is going to be as good as the first one...I've heard that before about other films, but we can only hope!

Saw Hunky Dory last night. Minnie Driver doing a passable Welsh accent and looking quite fit, half the cast of Stella and some dodgy 70s fashions. Not as funny as it hoped it was, but still enjoyable.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:56 pm

MADMAN

Clinging desperately onto the coattails of Friday the 13th and The Burning, Madman, along with the likes of The Funhouse, Rosemary's Killer, Happy Birthday To Me, and The Final Terror, was part of a glut of largely forgotten, but no less enjoyable slasher films which filled the horror section of many a video rental shop in the early 1980s.

While sitting around a typical woodland campfire, the counsellors at a summer camp tell scary stories to spook each other. One of the stories, however, seems to be based more in fact than the others and features a character known as Madman Marz, who (for no known reason) went loopy one night and chopped up his whole family.
The story goes that if you say his name above a whisper in the woods where he roams he will find you and kill you. Well, of course one chap yells it out as loud as possible and you can pretty much guess the rest.

Throats are slashed, people are hung, heads are found in unusual places, and fridges are used as hiding places. It's all very predictable and silly of course, with people running off and doing the exact opposite of what they should be doing, but one of its highlights is the insistent synthesiser music score, and (taking its cue from My Bloody Valentine) its accompanying creepy folk song.
We have all the usual killer POV shots, some well shot night-time camera work (you can actually see what's going on for a change), a couple of genuinely effective red herring moments, and some very well handled suspense sequences. In fact, most of the time it's actually the shock payoff which almost ruins the good work.

7/10

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:28 pm

Real Steel was pretty good! :)

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:52 am

i finally watched the three musketeers, i thought it was ok but milla jovovich really needs to go away.

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:17 am

I really like the look of The Raven, looks like Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow crossed with Sherlock Holmes

deeno
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby deeno » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:25 am

On Thursday saw the UK Premiere of Juan de los Muertos (Juan of the Dead) .
Yep a Cuban zombie flick .
Great stuff , lots of great political satire within the setting of a Zombie Apocalypse.
Easily the best film I have seen this year , won't say much else as don't want to give any spoilers away but if you get the chance to see it the do so . 8.5/10 .

xBERSERKERx
Denim Demon

Postby xBERSERKERx » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:30 pm

Thank god it's finally had it's U.K premier, I have been waiting for that film for far too long. I first picked up on it about ten months ago I swear.
Alex. wrote:This record better be as fit as Bezerker's ex's sister or I'm gonna be pissed.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:28 pm

some good news for Robert Rodriguez fans, although i'm a little pessimistic about them finally doing Sin City 2. they keep saying every 6 months that it will be filmed at such and such point and it never happens.

Rodriguez mentioned he will start shooting Machete Kills (announced at last year's San Diego Comic-Con) in April with the long-planned and massively delayed Sin City 2 planning to start production over the summer. Although he kept quiet on how much of the cast of either previous movie will be returning, he mentioned he'd been in talks with actors for both films, adding that the casting will be "of the same caliber and ecclecticism" as the previous films.

jamestomo
Paster of Muppets

Postby jamestomo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:03 pm

CrappyMike wrote:i finally watched the three musketeers, i thought it was ok but milla jovovich really needs to go away.

Are you mental :-o milla jovovich is stunning.

On topic, I just watched Final Destination 4.
Actually not shit, I expected after 3 the franchise would have died but I enjoyed it, some of the deaths were brutal and well funny

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:14 pm

Final Destination 5 is even better :yes:
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:49 pm

I'm surprised they didn't rename the 4th film to: 'not quite' the final destination 'as there is a sequel'

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:52 pm

all the final destination films are ok, none of them are amazing though. i do enjoy them, especially how they make the deaths seem really obvious and something completely different happens. the end of 5 was pretty brilliant as well tbf.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:44 am

FD4 Bored the bollocks off me. Ended up skipping the non-existent story and just watched the death scenes and the finale.

5 Was a vast improvement (the ending was especially excellent and unexpected), even if the one chap spent the entire time doing a bad Tom Cruise impression.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:44 am

FD4 was crap story-wise but fun in terms of deaths (the racist trucker's death had me in stitches in the cinema).
Glad I'm not the only one that thought the guy in 5 was like a cheap Tom Cruise impersonator! :lol:
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:10 pm

An accidental Tom Hardy fest this week.

This Means War...a man friendly chick flick. I actually really enjoyed it, overall predictable and silly. It's not going to win any awards, but it was well cast and well scripted. Quite a few real laugh out loud moments, something I rarely find in mainstream cinema these days, I'd definitely watch it again.

Also had Warrior come through from loveFilm. Again, really enjoyable. I loved the fight scenes, but I felt (a couple of tense scenes aside) there wasn't really a lot of substance there. I'm surprised by all the praise that's been heaped on it.
Also...Nick Nolte was nominated for an Oscar for this role???!! Don't get me wrong, he wasn't bad..but it was a pretty easy role...he was only on screen for about 30 minutes of the film, and in those scenes all he did was look miserable, mumble a few lines of dialogue and be drunk once... Maybe i missed something, but it didn't really have the heart or passion of the obvious comparison...Rocky. With all that being said though, as a film itself it was enjoyable and the fight scenes fantastic!