movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Turbo
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Turbo » Wed May 09, 2012 10:53 pm

I only watched it for the first time this year. My dad told me it was an ace film, but I just had never got around to watching it. Definitely great.

PoonLagoonGuy23
Consort of the Beast

Postby PoonLagoonGuy23 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:24 pm

Got persuaded into going to see the Avengers with some mates. Expectations were low, as the other Marvel films I have seen have been absolute tripe, but this was suprisingly good.

Even on Orange wednesdays had to pay £8 though, for this new 'xtreme' thing the vue cinema near me is doing. I don't see how the fact that the film is in 3D and the screen has new leather seats justifys the place charging a person potentially £16 to see a film on any other day of the week. Do these people not extort people enough with the price of Popcorn?

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Thu May 10, 2012 8:47 am

PoonLagoonGuy23 wrote:Even on Orange wednesdays had to pay £8 though, for this new 'xtreme' thing the vue cinema near me is doing. I don't see how the fact that the film is in 3D and the screen has new leather seats justifys the place charging a person potentially £16 to see a film on any other day of the week. Do these people not extort people enough with the price of Popcorn?

The amount that Cinemas charge is ridiculous. I pay £16 a month for my cineworld card, can't believe somebody would need to pay £16 for a single film!

PhilMow
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby PhilMow » Thu May 10, 2012 9:00 am

I only go to the cinema on an Orange Wednesday. But don't go all that often.
£8 each to see a flick at Showcase in Leics is a bit much. So it's usually a film both Anna
and myself wanna see and not wait to get it on DVD.
But the seats are bloody comfy so we only go there.

I've got vouchers for £5 off a film ib June so me thinks it's gonna be Prometheus in the Directors Lounge.

As for the Popcorn/snacks thing, we take our own food and drinks in, in one of Annas big bags.
I had a couple of ham and lettuce cobs whilst watching Avengers last week :D
Refuse to get raped over the prices they charge for drinks and food.
Festivals
MetallicA's Big Day Out 99
Ozzfest 01
Download 07
Rock Am Ring 08
Bloodstock 09,10,11,12,13,14,15
Hammerfest 13, 14, 15
Temples 14

Damnation 15[/size]

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu May 10, 2012 10:11 am

I paid £6.30 to see The Avengers on the opening thursday afternoon. Prices are reasonable if you're able to go at odd times. I never buy food at the cinema...to be honest I've never understood why people feel the need to eat during a film...can't you go 2 hours without food!!?

V-Man
Paster of Muppets

Postby V-Man » Thu May 10, 2012 10:28 am

Soze wrote:I never buy food at the cinema...to be honest I've never understood why people feel the need to eat during a film...can't you go 2 hours without food!!?

It's part of the experience. People want popcorn or nachos and a giant drink
I used to have a link to a social networking site here but these days you all probably already know who I am.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu May 10, 2012 11:19 am

Hellishly expensive though. Even the amount it costs to see a film these days astounds me. Nearly a tenner a head. Also in our Cineworld the people who work there are a bunch of morons, and I refuse to fund them further than the cost of the ticket.

We used to have a UCI which was so much better as far as Cinemas were concerned. It was how all Cinema's should be (ones that werent converted theatres anyway). It had a massive room dedicated to pick and mix which was reasonably priced. An arcade which is where I played Time Crisis for the first time amongst other titles like Night of the Undead and Sega Rally, and to top it off: A Pizza Hut next door. This Cineworld is in the middle of a fucking shopping centre full of 12 year old kids with no money walking around and getting in everyones way.

PhilMow
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby PhilMow » Thu May 10, 2012 11:30 am

Soze wrote:I paid £6.30 to see The Avengers on the opening thursday afternoon. Prices are reasonable if you're able to go at odd times. I never buy food at the cinema...to be honest I've never understood why people feel the need to eat during a film...can't you go 2 hours without food!!?

They obvs can't.
One of the main reasons I don't buy owt, is that I don't wanna have to go out for a wee or a poo.
I've been with some mates, who have bought the largest size popcorn and eaten them before the film
has even started. They then went out and bought a drink, drank that and then spent the next couple of hours
going for a wee every 20 mins. Good one fellas!

I deiceded to buy our Avenger tix at lunch time. Glad I did as we were going for the 4:15 showing and when we got there the place was rammed. We wouldn't have got in.
But the advantage of going slightly earlier was the cinema was only about half full, whereas if we'd gone at
our usual 7:30ish, it would have been full.
When we came out, there was a massive queue a good couple of hundred strong.
Festivals
MetallicA's Big Day Out 99
Ozzfest 01
Download 07
Rock Am Ring 08
Bloodstock 09,10,11,12,13,14,15
Hammerfest 13, 14, 15
Temples 14

Damnation 15[/size]

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Thu May 10, 2012 3:18 pm

PhilMow wrote:
Soze wrote:I paid £6.30 to see The Avengers on the opening thursday afternoon. Prices are reasonable if you're able to go at odd times. I never buy food at the cinema...to be honest I've never understood why people feel the need to eat during a film...can't you go 2 hours without food!!?

They obvs can't.
One of the main reasons I don't buy owt, is that I don't wanna have to go out for a wee or a poo.
I've been with some mates, who have bought the largest size popcorn and eaten them before the film
has even started. They then went out and bought a drink, drank that and then spent the next couple of hours
going for a wee every 20 mins. Good one fellas!

I deiceded to buy our Avenger tix at lunch time. Glad I did as we were going for the 4:15 showing and when we got there the place was rammed. We wouldn't have got in.
But the advantage of going slightly earlier was the cinema was only about half full, whereas if we'd gone at
our usual 7:30ish, it would have been full.
When we came out, there was a massive queue a good couple of hundred strong.

We normally get a subway but buy a drink, only feels right, and coke in the cinema tastes way better than out of a bottle or a can, only quarrel is that they don't have caffeine free diet coke, so I live with just Diet. As far as I remember, I think I've only had to go for a piss twice during a film in about 300 visits to the cinema, although I have sat desperate a few other times.

We saw Avengers at 11:30am on the opening saturday, I've never seen the place so busy, so early. Our showing was busy, but still plenty of seats, but there was a queue of at least 100 people when we came out.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Fri May 11, 2012 1:22 am

coke from the cinema is such a rip off i refuse to buy it. its half water and then they fill half the cup with ice!

Drian and Amz
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Drian and Amz » Fri May 11, 2012 6:31 am

Thats how cinemas make there money though, the money they make of tickets is so small so they have to make it off confectionary with a stupid mark up price. i never buy it mainly because its insanley bad for you.

watched some film called hesher, it was ok it features that dude who looks like james franco playing an angsty metal head who doesnt stop listening to metalica and never puts his shirt on.

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Fri May 11, 2012 11:27 am

CrappyMike wrote:coke from the cinema is such a rip off i refuse to buy it. its half water and then they fill half the cup with ice!

No, it's made with concentrate, the same as coke from any other place. I agree they over fill with the ice, but you can ask for no ice
Drian and Amz wrote:Thats how cinemas make there money though, the money they make of tickets is so small so they have to make it off confectionary with a stupid mark up price. i never buy it mainly because its insanley bad for you.

. Birmingham Cineworld the drinks are self service so you can choose not to have ice and fill it right to the brim.

Normal coke is bad for you, diet coke, not so. Yeah it's still got Aspartame and a couple of colourings, but that's okay in moderation.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri May 11, 2012 11:44 am

Our showcase serves Pepsi Max. This is a gloriously good thing.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Sun May 13, 2012 9:52 am

Soze wrote:
Ensorcelled wrote:Myself, my stock manager and a few colleagues have decided to work our way through the IMDB top 250. I got started with Shawshank last night. Forgot how fucking brilliant that film is.

I started this about a year or so back, I've done around 180 at the moment. Given myself a break as I went through a run of films which bored the shit out of me. I'm pretty close to doing the top 100. Much to my surprise this experiment has turned me into a big fan of Woody Allen and Charlie Chaplin ( I was dreading watching some of the latter! ).

Quite often update myself with newer films as the enter the list. But I had seen most of the top 250 pre 2005 or so. It's a great way to discover new genres or actors/actresses that you can watch in other movies.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Sun May 13, 2012 10:12 am

Strippers VS Werewolves - Don't judge me I was bored. I was expecting this to be awful, but this was even worse than I imagined. Not even breasts could improve this movie/10

Naboer (Next Door) - Norwegian Horror/Thriller, dealing with a mixture of sexual violence & psychosis. This claustrophobic movie is good, once you can get to grips with the content & at a short 75 minute runtime, it doesn't really slow down or become to stagnate. An uncomfortable 6/10.