movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Luke_X
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Luke_X » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:39 pm

Plot details of Taken 2 have surfaced (i would copy them over but I'm on my phone) and it sounds like a smart extension of the previous film with more of the daughter involved. Can't wait to see it.

jamestomo
Paster of Muppets

Postby jamestomo » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:03 pm

Luke_X wrote:Plot details of Taken 2 have surfaced (i would copy them over but I'm on my phone) and it sounds like a smart extension of the previous film with more of the daughter involved. Can't wait to see it.

I hate you, I read that at first as Tekken at first and got excited but then after re-reading lost interest :(

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:22 pm

jamestomo wrote:
Luke_X wrote:Plot details of Taken 2 have surfaced (i would copy them over but I'm on my phone) and it sounds like a smart extension of the previous film with more of the daughter involved. Can't wait to see it.

I hate you, I read that at first as Tekken at first and got excited but then after re-reading lost interest :(

well tbh, Tekken was pretty shit. although this might make you happy:

Tekken: Rise of the Tournament has been announced to be a prequel to the 2010 film Tekken with Prachya Pinkaew to direct the film.

anyway, the plot line for TAKEN 2.
Liam Neeson returns as Bryan Mills, the retired CIA agent with a particular set of skills who stopped at nothing to save his daughter Kim from Albanian kidnappers. When the father of one of the kidnappers swears revenge and takes Bryan and his wife hostage during their family vacation in Istanbul, Bryan enlists Kim to help them escape, and uses the same advanced level of special forces tactics to get his family to safety and systematically take out the kidnappers one by one.

jamestomo
Paster of Muppets

Postby jamestomo » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:35 pm

Luke_X wrote:
jamestomo wrote:

well tbh, Tekken was pretty shit. although this might make you happy:

Tekken: Rise of the Tournament has been announced to be a prequel to the 2010 film Tekken with Prachya Pinkaew to direct the film.

anyway, the plot line for TAKEN 2.
Liam Neeson returns as Bryan Mills, the retired CIA agent with a particular set of skills who stopped at nothing to save his daughter Kim from Albanian kidnappers. When the father of one of the kidnappers swears revenge and takes Bryan and his wife hostage during their family vacation in Istanbul, Bryan enlists Kim to help them escape, and uses the same advanced level of special forces tactics to get his family to safety and systematically take out the kidnappers one by one.

Yeah a few people I know said they thought it was shit, I personally thought it was great, the only thing that annoyed me were how they skipped some fights like I'm sure half the fighters didn't even have a match. But either way I hope this prequel happens :D

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:38 pm

I get that you could misread Taken as Tekken, but how would the realisation make you lose interest??
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

jamestomo
Paster of Muppets

Postby jamestomo » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:02 am

Cause I haven't watched the first lol

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:23 am

Luke_X wrote:
Darkweasel wrote:Care to elaborate?

Well the plot description, which isn't the most detailed of things, implies that the first 4 films were all made up (computer generated) and implanted into Alice.

The new trailer backs this up big time. Just seems like such a waste of time and money to make 4 films if your only going to go and say they didn't exist. Plus its full of more slow motion 3d garbage.

To be perfectly honest, it's not a franchise I care too much about so if they want to fuck about with the format then it's not going to upset me too much.
I only really liked Part 2 anyway. The first wasn't terrible but it wasn't good either, the third really was terrible, and the fourth had some decent moments (mainly when Kim Coates from Sons of Anarchy was on screen).
So I for one, welcome this sudden change.

Although I do agree that it means we've totally wasted our time on the first films.

Also, I wonder how long they'll keep casting Jovovich in the films anyway. There are two or three years in between each release so the next time one comes out (which will surely happen), she'll be almost 40.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:02 am

Darkweasel wrote:
Luke_X wrote:
Darkweasel wrote:Care to elaborate?

Well the plot description, which isn't the most detailed of things, implies that the first 4 films were all made up (computer generated) and implanted into Alice.

The new trailer backs this up big time. Just seems like such a waste of time and money to make 4 films if your only going to go and say they didn't exist. Plus its full of more slow motion 3d garbage.

To be perfectly honest, it's not a franchise I care too much about so if they want to fuck about with the format then it's not going to upset me too much.
I only really liked Part 2 anyway. The first wasn't terrible but it wasn't good either, the third really was terrible, and the fourth had some decent moments (mainly when Kim Coates from Sons of Anarchy was on screen).
So I for one, welcome this sudden change.

Although I do agree that it means we've totally wasted our time on the first films.

Also, I wonder how long they'll keep casting Jovovich in the films anyway. There are two or three years in between each release so the next time one comes out (which will surely happen), she'll be almost 40.

Well considering she's married to Paul ws Anderson probably everyone they make (he's the one who put her in three muskateers), although I'm pretty sure they said a sixth film will be the last.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:10 am

Ah, I didn't know they were married.
That explains a lot.

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:12 am

Metalchemyst wrote:Anyone seen Snow White and the Huntsman?

I saw it the other day! It's a lot better than I expected. Kristen Stewart is a little meh, but better than usual, Chris Hemsworth is fap worthy and Charlize Theron is pretty good. I'd recommend seeing it if you fancy a little bit of fantasy, just don't go in expecting an epic and you'll be happy enough with it. :)
Turbo wrote:One day I'll get around to tasting Pussy.

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:03 pm

Fast and The Furious 5. It's actually the first in the franchise that I've seen...always meant to watch some of the others, but always had something better to do...but it was the wifes birthday yesterday and she bought the blu-ray so we had to watch it.
The action has now moved to Rio where Brian (Paul Walker) is recruited for a job by an old friend. Also recruited is Dom (Vin Diesel), the job goes wrong and the rest of the film is basically out to get revenge on big crime boss Reyes (Joaquim de Almeida), while also being pursued by hard ass DEA agent Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson). Lots of chase scenes, wise cracks and slabs of muscle. It's not life changing, and most of it is pretty unoriginal, but a couple of set pieces have very much a wow factor, namely the stealing of two cars from a moving train at the beginning and the incredible chase while stealing a safe. There's some moments that are really silly, some points that have you scratching your head thinking 'why and how?' but all in all quite an enjoyable movie. It does what it says on the tin. 7.5/10

Rock of Ages. Musical movie based on the stage show of the same name. Set in the hair metal heyday of 1987, a Small town girl comes to LA looking for fame, and after being mugged stumbles into the world famous Bourbon Rooms on sunset strip. It's here she meets Drew, a bartender who dreams of being a rock star. A typical musical plotline, girl meets boy, they fall in love, something comes between them, then they get together at the end. You know the drill.
The two main stars are unknowns, Diego Boneta as Drew and Jullianne Hough as Sherrie, and they're pretty good, especially from a musical point of view. They pull off the wide range of songs really well, and have some chemistry, despite the cheesy dialogue. They're supported by a great case including Catherine Zeta Jones as the mayors Christian wife who's intent on ridding the world of rock music, starting with closing down the Bourbon. You've also got Russell Brand as Lonny, and Alec Baldwin as Dennis the Bar Manager and owner who are a pretty good double act, despite Brands awful Birmingham accent that he seems to adopt halfway through. Tom Cruise as washed up rock star Stacee Jaxx is also fantastic, quite clearly modelled heavily on Axl Rose, and Paul Giamatti as his annoying manager.
We actually saw the stage show on our anniversary last year, and really enjoyed it, and this film has done a great job of adapting it for the screen.

It's cheesy, but it's funny and has a fantastic soundtrack with the cast performing renditions of 80s classic hard rock tracks.

9/10 Mainly because I just wanted to sing along most of the way through :)

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:16 pm

Ok finally seen Prometheus.

I quite enjoyed it but i look at the films as three different sections. 1. Alien and Prometheus 2. Aliens, alien 3 and alien ressurection 3. The AvP films. Ridley Scott said a long time ago that the AvP films don't have anything to do with Alien, so i won't bring in their stupid plots into this.

Scott seems to have worked hard at linking Prometheus to the existing Alien films, referencing only Weyland and some other minor details. There are some inaccuracies like the name of the planet (well number) is different to the one in Alien. But that could imply that either it gets changed or there are other moons which the alien may 'transfer' to. But it would also explain why there is an Engineer in the captain seat at a later point after the other ones death.

I have to say the acting was amazing, especially from Fassbender. I agree that you dont really put amy weight behind the characters, especially as i was expecting them all to die anyway. I would have liked to know what happened to the ginger guy as there is no explanation of how he went from being dead to a rampaging zombie thing. The directing was superb and Scott really made it look impressive, especially the level of detail in the cgi.

There is obviously plenty left open for a sequel, but if you take Scott by his word, it will completely seperate from the Alien films and become its own thing. Overall a great film which played a nice homage to Alien but stood out on its own. 8/10

ollie123w
Leather Rebel

Postby ollie123w » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:01 am

Watched 'tucker and dale vs evil' last night, t'was an alright movie, some good laughs and an interesting twist on a 'classic' horror movie premise. Would say it's definately worth a watch.

7 / 10

Will be watching dead snow tonight i think

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:23 am

Just finished reading Kick-Ass 2 and it seems they may have some trouble actually filming it, especially if they want to keep it true to the comic book.
For one, the amount that was changed from the first book for the film is suddenly a lot more obvious, there are ways they can adapt it, but it could sacrifice some believability.
The most part, though, is the violence. The sheer amount of it in this book is going to be tough for Hollywood to tackle. Especially as most of it is carried out purely for shits and giggles.
Still, I eagerly await the film, but even moreso, the next book :lol:
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:45 pm

Saw Cosomopolis and Rock of Ages last night.

Cosmopolis was reasonably well acted and stylish, but very slow and without a satisfactory ending. I was kinda hoping for an indictment of the "1%" and for Robert Pattinson's character's brains to get splattered all over the camera lens, but didn't get either, even though it looked as though things were heading in those directions.

Rock of Ages was enjoyable and I didn't leave the cinema feeling insulted, which was what I was expecting. I think they underplayed the whole guitar heroics thing that went on in the 80s though. Surely Stacee Jaxx's "Axl" should have had a "Slash" to act as a foil and provide a reason for Stacee to go solo - Arsenal looked pretty much like his solo band already.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!