movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:57 pm

Jobdone wrote:YES YES YE SYEYSYEYSYEYSYEYSYEYEYESYEYSEYSYEEYSYESYEEEYS.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=63820

Just hope it's better than the shit heap that Part 2 was.

Fisheth24
Consort of the Beast

Postby Fisheth24 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:49 am

Not seen either of them.

Can't really sleep, anyone got any good movies to watch that I haven't see, in the Sci fi/Fantasy catagory?

Watched Plan Nine from Outer space the other week, while in my opinion a flawed masterpiece and wonderfully satirical. I don't fancy seeing it again.

Anyone got any recs?

Cheers.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:27 am

Darkweasel wrote:
Jobdone wrote:YES YES YE SYEYSYEYSYEYSYEYSYEYEYESYEYSEYSYEEYSYESYEEEYS.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=63820

Just hope it's better than the shit heap that Part 2 was.

I liked the 2nd film, it resembled the B.P.R.D. books more than the Hellboy books with all the mythical elements. I hope he does do a 3rd film but Del Toro schedule is packed for the next 5/6 years at least. Plus, while I hope he does get Roger and Lobster Johnson in the film, they are going to have to be squeezed in. I'd rather they started on with a B.P.R.D. film to introduce Lobster Johnson properly and then leave the 3rd Hellboy film to develop the relationship between Hellboy and Roger like in the books.

karmakollapse
Paster of Muppets

Postby karmakollapse » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:32 pm

Luke_X wrote:
Soze wrote:
Luke_X wrote:Thor 2 will set up more of Thanos after the Avengers ending, most likely exploring the Infinity Gaunlet. As long as they stick to the whole part asgard part earth set up (which it must do to have natalie Portman and peter skarsgard in it again). Maybe set up the return of the Red Skull for the next Avengers movie, hopefully set up either black panther or Dr strange.

Hasn't it been confirmed the other 2014 Marvel film will be Guardians of the Galaxy? Featuring Thanos quite heavily, leading into Avengers 2? Or did I just dream that news story?!!

Marvel said they were planning a movie version, but it hasnt been confirmed as the 'untitled' movie in 2014. But i know very little about that particular team so I have no idea how important they are but it could be written well enough to be important. They don't look like much compared to the current Avengers team. Dr Strange would make more sense when it comes to the infinity gauntlet

I don't -think- its been brought up here yet, but here were the full announcements from SDCC last weekend:

Iron Man 3 (with Kingsley as the Mandarin) : 2013
Thor: The Dark World: 2013
Captain America: The Winter Soldier: 2014
Guardians of the Galaxy (team: Star-Lord, Drax, Gamora, Rocket Raccoon, Groot): 2014
Ant-Man: Probably 2015
probably Avengers 2.

The GOTG team includse two characters directly related to Thanos (Gamora is his adopted daughter, Drax was built to destroy him (which he does, at the most awkward moment possible)), so expect it to be the most direct lead up to Avengers 2.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:05 pm

today i bought an x-men quadrilogy box set. it has x-men 1,2 and 3, plus x-men origins: wolverine. i already have first class so when i saw that for a tenner at work and realised our staff discount is up to 15% i couldnt resist really :D will need to have an x-men day later this week.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:31 pm

I love Hellboy 2. It's full of plot holes but so much fun and awesome to look at I can forgive it.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:35 pm

Fisheth24 wrote:Not seen either of them.

Can't really sleep, anyone got any good movies to watch that I haven't see, in the Sci fi/Fantasy catagory?

Watched Plan Nine from Outer space the other week, while in my opinion a flawed masterpiece and wonderfully satirical. I don't fancy seeing it again.

Anyone got any recs?

Difficult to say...as I don't know what s/f films you've seen. But someone asked me to name 20 classic s/f flicks recently and this is what I came up with.

Twelve Monkeys, Blade Runner, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (both versions!), Alien, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Donnie Darko, 2001, The Thing, Dark City, Being John Malkovich, Brazil, Planet of the Apes, The Man from Earth, Star Wars, A Clockwork Orange, The Matrix, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Metropolis, Moon

Guessing you've seen most of those though!

Drian and Amz
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Drian and Amz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:40 pm

Wasn't a fan of watchmen......... the soundtrack was a piece of shit, you don't just randomly play songs over the scenes. whoever did that should have been killed.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:26 pm

karmakollapse wrote:I don't -think- its been brought up here yet, but here were the full announcements from SDCC last weekend:

Iron Man 3 (with Kingsley as the Mandarin) : 2013
Thor: The Dark World: 2013
Captain America: The Winter Soldier: 2014
Guardians of the Galaxy (team: Star-Lord, Drax, Gamora, Rocket Raccoon, Groot): 2014
Ant-Man: Probably 2015
probably Avengers 2.

Just been announced that Falcon will appear in Captain America 2...and presumably Bucky is back considering the title.

karmakollapse wrote:The GOTG team includse two characters directly related to Thanos (Gamora is his adopted daughter, Drax was built to destroy him (which he does, at the most awkward moment possible)), so expect it to be the most direct lead up to Avengers 2.

I remember Draz from when I used to read comics years back, he used to appear in Silver Surfer comics. How the fuck am I supposed to take 'Rocket Racoon' seriously though!?!

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:28 pm

TED

So this is why Family Guy has been terrible for so long. All of Seth McFarlane's efforts look to have been going into this, his directorial debut, a comedy about a man and his real life teddy bear.
And if this is a sign of things to come, then make him dump his animated TV shows (which are now mainly just soap boxes for his political and religious viewpoints anyway) and let him have another film, because Ted is superb.

Sure, McFarlane still gets to use the film to his own ends but when the result is as funny as this, it's worth it.
There are so many laugh out loud moments I lost count, but highlights have to be The Dirty Fozzy, the parody of the Airplane parody of Saturday Night Fever, Flash Gordon, and the final scene.

But, be warned - if you think Family Guy was rubbish from the very start, or just plain don't like Seth McFarlane then don't even bother watching it. You're not suddenly going to change your opinion of him. The similarities, both in delivery and pacing are the same, and the jokes haven't changed, they've just got better. Plus, it all follows the rules of a formula comedy (but with a typically scattershot sense of humour that hits far, far more than it misses).

Ted is a superb example of what McFarlane used to be capable of. I just hope it isn't a flash in the pan.

8/10

JageReturns
Warrior of Metal

Postby JageReturns » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:14 am

dobbsey
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby dobbsey » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:19 pm

Don't know if the film has been mentioned on here, but i found a film the other day called God Bless America.

Its essential about a guy whose pissed off with people not being nice, so he decides to go a spree killing.

Probably one of the one films where I've sat there and actually warmed too the killers, great watch.

GetToTheChoppar
Denim Demon

Postby GetToTheChoppar » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:22 pm

Darkweasel wrote:TED

Ted is a superb example of what McFarlane used to be capable of. I just hope it isn't a flash in the pan.

8/10

Glad to hear it, can't wait to see this now. :D
Turbo wrote:Move on, fuck her off. Smoke crack and worship satan.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:40 pm

dobbsey wrote:Don't know if the film has been mentioned on here, but i found a film the other day called God Bless America.

I ended up finding it incredibly uninteresting after being quite excited.

The entire script basically read like an internet pseudo-intellectual circlejerk "HEY GUYS I HATE REALITY SHOWS" "I KNOW RIGHT? THEY SUCK SO MUCH" and neither of the characters were particularly engaging.

karmakollapse
Paster of Muppets

Postby karmakollapse » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:22 pm

Soze wrote:How the fuck am I supposed to take 'Rocket Racoon' seriously though!?!

As opposed to a giant tree?