movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
x-tempus
Leather Rebel

Re: movies

Postby x-tempus » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:18 pm

Johnny Tightlips wrote:
fitz wrote:Stayed in last night, decided to put a film on and the two I came downstairs with were Labyrinth and Romero's Dawn of the Dead :lol: And I wonder why I'm spending my friday night in and alone in the house!! (No money of course ;) )

Aaanyway, instead I ended up watching a truly craptastic film last night called Stay Alive on ITV1. Man, it was so bad, it was utterly wonderful. Never have I been so happy to see a B-movie actor from Saving Private Ryan and Frankie Muniz in a film in my life. I implore everyone to watch this film. Plotholes galore, completely pointless (and minimal) character development, a police force who'd been built up to feature SOME WAY in the 'final confrontation' but must have missed their bus on their way (despite KNOWING the location of the final showdown). Oh and a little known Hungarian noblewoman called ELIZABETH BATHORY as an evil videogame designing spirit ov doom! So many questions, so little answers!

We actually have that on DVD, its brilliant :lol:

so many plotholes, enjoyable film never the less - seen it a few times, then found it on Play for £2.50 so couldn't resist.
Fjar wrote:"Open up, love. I know you don't like it, but it's good for you!"

De Stijl wrote:One rule for vegetables, another rule for cock.
DOUBLE STANDARDS

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:33 pm

Andrewhall28 wrote:I've not seen a good review either, which probably means i'll like it going on the films I have liked this year, and the negative reviews many have received, the most recent being Lockout :lol:

I've hardly been impressed by anything I've seen this year. Avengers is hands down my favourite movie and I really liked God Bless America too, Dark Knight Rises was great if a little contrived and Spiderman was good. Other than that can't think of anything. Hopefully Dredd and Cloud Atlas live up to the hype!

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:44 pm

Soze wrote:
Andrewhall28 wrote:I've not seen a good review either, which probably means i'll like it going on the films I have liked this year, and the negative reviews many have received, the most recent being Lockout :lol:

I've hardly been impressed by anything I've seen this year. Avengers is hands down my favourite movie and I really liked God Bless America too, Dark Knight Rises was great if a little contrived and Spiderman was good. Other than that can't think of anything. Hopefully Dredd and Cloud Atlas live up to the hype!

Safe House I loved
Man On A Ledge
Cleanskin
John Carter
The Raven
Contraband
The Fighter

and a film called Justice with Nicolas Cage, who doesn't play himself, that film is superb

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:38 am

(Shortened) theatrical trailer for Cloud Atlas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLIM9WKjhu4

Premiers in Toronto this weekend. Here's hoping for a leak before it comes out in cinemas in the UK next March. :ugh:
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:15 pm

Just finished watching District 9 again on Film4.
Still brilliant.

Fooking prawns.

SashVicious
Warrior of Metal

Postby SashVicious » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:02 am

Anyone seen Dredd yet? I'm off to go see it next week.
My word and world holds ground and is real
Your world is like floods of poisoned water
A language spoken with spit from different tongues

ollie123w
Leather Rebel

Postby ollie123w » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:52 pm

Darkweasel wrote:Just finished watching District 9 again on Film4.
Still brilliant.

Fooking prawns.

:yes:

Presently watching Schindlers List for the first time in a number of years. a true masterpiece

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:06 pm

Watched both The Italian Job (the original one) and The Fifth Element today, reminded me why I love them both!
Steam = Starchild
Facebook

Catch me at:
20/6/20 - Rammstein - Coventry

ollie123w
Leather Rebel

Postby ollie123w » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:26 pm

kanet666 wrote:Watched both The Italian Job (the original one) and The Fifth Element today, reminded me why I love them both!

:O I've not seen The Fifth Element in donkey's years! Will have to watch it again now

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:50 am

Fifth Element is possibly one of my favourite movies that I don't watch regularly.

Watched Thursday (1998).

It was awesome. A rape scene involving a dude being raped by a model, rasta mans, pre-surgery mickey rourke, guy who played harvey dent, and some poor bloke having the worst thursday of his life.

It had that real mid to late 90s feel where some poor guy just gets shit on in surreal situtations with a lot of interesting talking and shit.

8/10.

thepinkhat
Definitely Not Nu

Postby thepinkhat » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:19 pm

The Fifth element is an ace film, recently bought the blu ray version as well. Not been to the cinema in ages (work and family stuff seem to get in the way a lot) but ended up watching Brave on Saturday night. Pretty good in general and some amusing bits, not the best of storylines but awesome animation and some good characters kept it watchable.

Still not seen Avengers yet though (must be about the only person on this forum who hasn't!). Still got it pre-ordered on blu-ray and going to have a beer and Avengers night.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:23 pm

thepinkhat wrote:The Fifth element is an ace film, recently bought the blu ray version as well. Not been to the cinema in ages (work and family stuff seem to get in the way a lot) but ended up watching Brave on Saturday night. Pretty good in general and some amusing bits, not the best of storylines but awesome animation and some good characters kept it watchable.

Still not seen Avengers yet though (must be about the only person on this forum who hasn't!). Still got it pre-ordered on blu-ray and going to have a beer and Avengers night.

It's ok, I'm yet to see it too. That said, I still haven't seen a lot of films in that sense, including Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor and X-Men First Class
Steam = Starchild
Facebook

Catch me at:
20/6/20 - Rammstein - Coventry

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:30 am

Saw Dredd and Lawless last night.

Dredd was really good, although it seemed to borrow heavily from The Raid. Disappointed by the lack of Anthrax as the credits rolled. I'm hoping this will get sequels so they can include Judge Death.

Lawless was pretty good, although I don't think I'd watch it again.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:40 pm

The Hunger Games

First things first. Writing this as a 40 year old bloke, I have had to realise that The Hunger Games may not exactly be directed towards my specific demographic. Therefore, looking at it a little differently, like maybe I was writing this as a 15 year old girl who liked good looking boys, fearless heroines and had never seen Big Brother, The Truman Show, Battle Royale, The Running Man, or Logan's Run then I would have to say it was the bestest, most originalest film I've ever seen. LOL.

Er, so anyway... It's the old dystopian future scenario but this time, and as well as featuring some hilarious wigs and costumes, the future now has twelve Districts and a Capitol, and each year two teenagers (1 boy and 1 girl) are chosen to fight in something called The Hunger Games. What the Hunger Games are is never fully explained and is all a bit confusing as everybody looks healthy and very well fed indeed.
Trained and mentored by drunk-one-moment-completely-coherent-the-next Woody Harrelson, our good looking hero and ballsy heroine types have to fight 22 other "Tributes" to the death to become the eventual winner. A flimsy reason for this is given and glossed over by a perpetually grumpy Donald Sutherland who plays his character with all the depth of a surly pantomime villain. But, I have to remember, I am a fifteen year old girl so I probably don't notice these kind of things.

So off we go into the woods full of baddies, genetically engineered wasps, the occasional help package, some magic dogs, and out of place love stories. Truth be told though, once the action starts and the pace picks up it's not actually too bad. During some parts, even to someone as weary and over-the-hill as myself it actually became quite enjoyable. Sure, it had to make some sacrifices to get it out to a wider (younger and more impressionable) audience, in that the violence is so toned down that even though over twenty people are killed, only a couple of them show any signs that their bodies actually contained blood in the first place.

Still, as enjoyable as some of it is, the lack of explanation to certain things (what's that three fingered salute all about?) and the glossing over of major plot points make the film something far less that great. And without trying to give the ending away, are we really expected to believe that in 74 years of the Hunger Games, and with seemingly every base covered with evil strategies and aided by some seriously superfangled technology, the situation we're faced with at movie's cliimax has never once arisen before and has absolutely no contingency plan in place to nullify it?

Apparently, there are two more films still to come so I can only hope they serve to shed more light on an enjoyable, if very flawed first film.

6.5/10

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:55 pm

MetalBeast wrote:Saw Dredd and Lawless last night.

Dredd was really good, although it seemed to borrow heavily from The Raid. Disappointed by the lack of Anthrax as the credits rolled. I'm hoping this will get sequels so they can include Judge Death.

Lawless was pretty good, although I don't think I'd watch it again.

Not directed at you metalbeast just in general but i wish people would stop comparing it to the raid. It was filmed long before the raid was released and as pointed out a while ago on here, the dredd comics had a tower based story long ago. Otherwise we should start comparing to attack the block as well.

The new dredd film would have been released sooner if they hadnt spent so long in post production and then converting it to 3d.