movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Luke_X
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Luke_X » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:22 pm

I think dvd/blu ray sales will be good enough for a sequel, esp in the US where word of mouth has spread since after it finished It's theatrical run. But it was low budget enough they may throw more money at it for a sequels promotion.

mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby mikeftw » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:30 pm

Luke_X wrote:I think dvd/blu ray sales will be good enough for a sequel, esp in the US where word of mouth has spread since after it finished It's theatrical run. But it was low budget enough they may throw more money at it for a sequels promotion.

I hope you're right

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:34 pm

Putting it into perspective, John Carter, which seems to have been officiially recognised as the biggest flop in the history of cinema, took $282m worldwide and cost $250m. Despite all the hullaballo it ended up turning a small profit...and that's before DVD sales. That really isn't any worse than the appalling Green Lantern ($200m budget, $219m takings). Neither of these have done well enough to warrant the studio thinking of sequels.

Dredd will have to do remarkably well on DVD to make the studio another $30m or so. If it does and gets a lower budget sequel I think we could rule out a lot of the things people have been hoping for (Dark Judges etc.). It would almost certainly end up direct to DVD. I really think people are being ridiculously hopeful in thinking there'll be another and talk of the budget increasing is, IMO, ludicrous. That said I'll be absolutely delighted if you can quote this and laugh 'I told you so' at me in the future!

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:36 am

2 films I loved, especially Green Lantern, that I.enjoyed more than Avengers
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:38 am

I have heard nothing but awful things about Green Lantern :lol:
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:48 am

Delightful-Jim wrote:I have heard nothing but awful things about Green Lantern :lol:

I have no idea why, It's brilliant, the fx are awesome, it has good comedy and action, brilliant fun
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby mikeftw » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:20 am

Luke_X wrote:The third film was the weakest of the two but i think it would been better not to film them back to back. If maybe they had spent a few more years on the script if might have been a good ending but we were left with a cliche ridden film full of religous bollocks.

Surely the fact Neo is deemed the "one" would hint at religious connotations before the Reloaded and Revolutions came out anyway, I know it did for me

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:41 am

Delightful-Jim wrote:I have heard nothing but awful things about Green Lantern :lol:

And rightly so.
It's awful.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:58 am

Soze wrote:Dredd will have to do remarkably well on DVD to make the studio another $30m or so. If it does and gets a lower budget sequel I think we could rule out a lot of the things people have been hoping for (Dark Judges etc.). It would almost certainly end up direct to DVD. I really think people are being ridiculously hopeful in thinking there'll be another and talk of the budget increasing is, IMO, ludicrous. That said I'll be absolutely delighted if you can quote this and laugh 'I told you so' at me in the future!

See, I'd say that a lower budget would be all the more reason to do the Dark Judges and whatnot - you could use practical effects and costumes, etc and save loads on what would've been spent on CGI.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Azubi
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Azubi » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:23 am

Went and watched the Hobbit film. It wasn't as drawn out or as bad as I was expecting to be. Fuck knows how some people have been back time and time again to watch it though! I felt I was extremely lucky to not be bursting for a piss 2 hours into it, I certainly wouldn't wish to tempt fate by going back and watching it for a second, third or fourth time. Not without access to a pause button at least.
http://www.azubi.co.uk - Azubi's Adventures in Abandonment :)

fluffymoo wrote:Fucking hell, Mike - you really are wrong all the time.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:49 am

Darkweasel wrote:

And rightly so.
It's awful.

As popcorn film it is awful. Bad acting, poor use of CGI and an unbelievably dire script (which hard to do considering the book It's based on).

For comic book fans, it was insanely awful verging on insulting. Of the entire green lantern corps, of which they spent a fortune on creating in CGI, they use 4. Sinestro was a bit of a wimp compared to how he is in the books, as was Killowog who didn't even show how militaristic he is as an instructor. As for Hal Jordan, Ryan Reynolds was by far the worst choice to play him. The only good thing they showed was the after credit scene where he gets a yellow ring, but I'd rather it one of dc's fantastic animated films as they have been hinting a Sinestro Corps War film for a while. At least that we will get the other dc characters we won't in the film.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:33 am

I really liked Green Lantern. I know nothing of the character's comic book mythology or anything like that, so I just took it as a fun sci-fi/action adventure movie. Sure the CGI could've been better, the plot was unoriginal and the film fell for almost every cliche available.. but it was a laugh.
For me, it's a good switch-your-brain-off movie.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:03 am

Applecore wrote:I really liked Green Lantern. I know nothing of the character's comic book mythology or anything like that, so I just took it as a fun sci-fi/action adventure movie. Sure the CGI could've been better, the plot was unoriginal and the film fell for almost every cliche available.. but it was a laugh.
For me, it's a good switch-your-brain-off movie.

My thoughts exactly, the CGI was fantastic, the acting was not terrible at all, and unlike the comic book purists who cry at the first change to anything, I took it as a stand alone movie based loosely on that universe, just like Nolan's Batman films

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:16 pm

I wouldn't say those are your thoughts exactly, as I said the CGI could've been better :P
Also the acting was ok, but that's because it was Ryan Reynolds playing Ryan Reynolds as The Green Lantern (or "a guy with a magic ring", if it was an inaccurate portrayal of the character). I seem to remember the evil scientist guy (who turned all yellow and evil) being a bit wooden, and Blake Lively being about right for someone who's only other real work of note is a crappy teen drama show.
But this is why I switch my brain off to watch it :lol:
It's fun, nothing more, nothing less.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:25 pm

I am a comic reader but know nothing of Green Lantern...so I approached it as a standalone ad blockbuster too. Personally I found it painfully dull and about as amusing as being whipped on the bell end by a wet towel. I also found Ryan Reynolds insanely irritating. It's one of the worst comic book movies I've ever seen and was, IMO, rightfully panned. Each to their own I guess.