movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Jobdone
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Jobdone » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:28 pm

x-tempus wrote:trailer for Scary Movie 5 looks like good

I highly doubt that.

x-tempus
Leather Rebel

Postby x-tempus » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:55 pm

taste is subjective?

and I really don't give a fuck :lol:
Fjar wrote:"Open up, love. I know you don't like it, but it's good for you!"

De Stijl wrote:One rule for vegetables, another rule for cock.
DOUBLE STANDARDS

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:35 pm

Just watched the trailer to said film.
As expected, it looks fucking terrible.
Apart from the Charlie Sheen bit. That was funny.
Or at least it was until they stretched the joke too far. Making a joke outstay its welcome in a two minute trailer really doesn't bode well for the full movie.

So yeah, I'm out.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:02 am

Just got back from seeing The Hobbit. Good fun, engaging story, likeable characters..
Frankly the only issues I had with it were uncomfortable seats and a lack of a ban on mobile phone use in Australian cinemas..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:54 am

I finish my shift 7am on the 31st then have 6 days off, so will see The Hobbit during that stand down period, that way it wont be too busy

Has anybody seen Jack Reacher yet ? the reviews are good
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:24 pm

Andy Hall wrote:
Has anybody seen Jack Reacher yet ? the reviews are good

Yup. I thought it was fantastic. The biggest complaint people had before the film came out was the casting of Tom Cruise as the 6,5" brick shithouse Jack Reacher, a concern I shared to an extent, but when you think about it, there are few (if any) actors (big enough to carry a movie) that match the physical description and can handle the acting. Cruise can handle the acting, and I think embodied the character well.
In terms of book to film adaption, there were a couple of major characters omitted, but it didn't really affect the plot too much.
Personally I think it is a great movie and will be enjoyed by fans of the books and newcomers alike. The 2 set pieces (a car chase and the finale) and well captured, and don't fuck about and aren't dragged out too long. Cruise captured the sarcasm perfectly...and Rosamund Pike is still hot ;)

I'd recommend it! :)

ps also nice to see a major movie with no cgi, at least none that I noticed!

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:50 pm

Coffee and Cigarettes. Massively pretentious, absolutely brilliant.
Fjar wrote:I can't tell if she's got sun cream on or she's getting crusty round the edges..

I WRITE THINGS
last.fm

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:46 am

Moonburp wrote:Coffee and Cigarettes. Massively pretentious, absolutely brilliant.

Highlights include Jack White's Tesla Coil and Bill Muthafuckin' Murray.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:26 am

Applecore wrote:
Moonburp wrote:Coffee and Cigarettes. Massively pretentious, absolutely brilliant.

Highlights include Jack White's Tesla Coil and Bill Muthafuckin' Murray.

I loved the Alfred Molina and Steve Coogan one.
Fjar wrote:I can't tell if she's got sun cream on or she's getting crusty round the edges..

I WRITE THINGS
last.fm

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:55 pm

picked up Batman Begins for a quid on DVD yesterday.

Had seen both The Dark Knight and TDKR but hadn't seen the first one, so this was a good find. Pretty ace really, as good as TDK and better than TDKR imo.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:04 pm

I really like all three Dark Knight movies. Find it quite hard to choose the order I prefer them tbh.

I can't quite shake the feeling that I (and many others) think Heath Ledger's performance is THAT good, just because he died. I do genuinely think that he'd have gone on to much more fantastic things off the back of it had he not died, but then, would the film have been as successful and acclaimed if he hadn't?
Kind of like The Crow - do we think it's great just because Brandon Lee died making it, or is it a genuinely good film?
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:07 pm

I seriously thought Heath was oustanding in that film, he's a good character actor though, I've seen him play everyone from a fake knight to a junkie in an.indie movie

I enjoyed The Crow, I had no idea Brandon Lee had died making it until much later
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Heath was genuinely good in the film, and like I said, that performance could've sent him flying into the big leagues. But I can't help but think that many people rate the film so highly (subconsciously, at least) out of sympathy for him dying. I don't want to sound like I'm knocking Heath Ledger or anyone involved in the making of the film, but let's face it - Heath Ledger's death put the film in the headlines and it reached a lot more people for it. It's horrible, but that's how the world works.

As for The Crow, I went in knowing that Brandon Lee died making it (didn't know which scene, mind), and I do think that part of me rated it that little bit higher because I knew. It's a good film, and one I've loved for years, but I genuinely think at least a fraction of my opinion of it is formed almost out of respect for Brandon Lee giving his life for the film.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:22 pm

I have no doubt in my mind the second Batman movie would have done about the same maybe a bit more without Heath's death as the first one,

the press loved the first one and it did well but didn't really re-ignite the franchise, Heath's death made people go and see that film, and the film actually being good then got around, but yeah I think Hrsth's death re-ignited the franchise more than the films actually being good did, due to Batman and Robin being so bad

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:27 pm

i think a lot of people wouldn't even had bothered watching if they hadn't known about Heath's death, but im a big fan of batman in general anyway so his death didn't really play any part in my liking it over the other two. although i cant help but feeling, Heath would have had a big role in the 3rd film, maybe it would have been Joker in Bane's place with the same story? it's hard to know as Nolan hates talking about what would have been the original 3rd film.

TDK is more of a stand alone film in a sense as it has no link to the other two in terms of characters/story, unlike BB and TDKR both share stories, characters and really are more part 1 and part 2 of the story, if you get what i mean.