movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Fjar
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Fjar » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:57 pm

Might give Lincoln and Life of Pi a watch now.

But I can't be bothered with watching all the nominated films like I usually try to. Snow White nominated for Best Visual Effects over Cloud Atlas is really bugging me.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:58 pm

i'd be surprised if Django came away empty handed as it has had a lot of praise, but Tarrantino has never won an Oscar iirc. but america seems to be bumming Lincoln, and as reported on the BBC, it's likely to get a ton of awards in america as it has everything america loves, which is basically massaging it's own ego. which also will give Zero Dark Thirty a few awards as well i think.

i think Argo might come away with a few awards as well, and i think The Avengers just might run away with the special effects award (the end scene/battle has been praised heavily).

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:01 pm

Luke_X wrote:i'd be surprised if Django came away empty handed as it has had a lot of praise, but Tarrantino has never won an Oscar iirc.

Best Original Screenplay for Pulp Fiction (shared with Roger Avary).

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:26 pm

Darkweasel wrote:
Luke_X wrote:i'd be surprised if Django came away empty handed as it has had a lot of praise, but Tarrantino has never won an Oscar iirc.

Best Original Screenplay for Pulp Fiction (shared with Roger Avary).

in that case i have been corrected. i didnt know he had but the reaction to this has sounded good.

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:44 pm

Darkweasel wrote:
Delightful-Jim wrote:Argo is probably going to win everything by the way. Or Zero Dark Thirty.

Spielberg strokes his beard and slowly shakes his head.

Zero Dark Thirty was made by the person that did Hurt Locker. Therefore it'll win pretty much everything. I haven't seen any of these film myself though, so I can't say for sure.

Wasn't Cloud Atlas causing a lot of controversy because of the effects changing the same actor to different ethnicities? I can't imagine anything like that appealing to the old sods in the Oscar Academy.
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:38 pm

There was a time (before baby) that I saw pretty much every single movie with a general cinema release, and as many limited releases as I could...now I look at that Oscar list and I've only seen ONE from the best picture list, and that's Life of Pi. I intend to see Lincoln, Django Unchained and Les Miserables in the next couple of weeks though.
Surprised to see Snow White in the Visual Effects...I personally thought they were substandard. I reckon The Hobbit will have that over the Avengers, although it'd probably be close.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:47 pm

Just watched The Sweeney, not bad, certainly not great, my biggest bug bear is that I thought the Sweeney were loathsome. If they'd all died at the end I wouldn't have minded 6/10
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:53 pm

Andy Hall wrote:Just watched The Sweeney, not bad, certainly not great, my biggest bug bear is that I thought the Sweeney were loathsome. If they'd all died at the end I wouldn't have minded 6/10

My biggest bug bear was that they were loathsome, but also extremely thick and incompetent. Personally I hated the film...but hey, it's still no Skyline!

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:33 pm

FINALLY seen Cloud Atlas, think I'm gonna take back what I said - it's not really Oscar-standard. On the most general level, it doesn't completely blow you away, but it does give you a warm glow for nearly three hours. More specifically, none of the actors really stood out in terms of performance (except James D'Arcy, but he's overshadowed by the rest of the cast who dilute his performance with their overall blandness.. honourable mention Jim Broadbent).

The make-up isn't deserving of the award either, sorry to say. It's creative and pushes boundaries, but a lot of the application looks properly amateur which ruins it. One of Doona Bae's characters involves so much prosthesis you can actually see she struggles to get the lines out - I'm not exaggerating to illustrate the point, it's truly bad.

But as a diehard fan of the book, I was completely satisfied by the adaptation, it went beyond what I imagined from reading the novel. Working the same actors into different roles worked absolutely perfectly. :D
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:38 pm

Andy Hall wrote:Just watched The Sweeney, not bad, certainly not great, my biggest bug bear is that I thought the Sweeney were loathsome. If they'd all died at the end I wouldn't have minded 6/10

That's actually the kindest review I've seen anyone give it.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:28 pm

Basically it was an ok gangster film, if you treated the police as gangsters ,I thought the final shootout was very well done, the chases fine, but the police were nastier than the criminals, it was stereotype scumbag parenting aswell, these characters were horrendous, and because of that you couldn't empathise with them
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:33 pm

GRABBERS

Sort of like an Irish version of Tremors, except with tentacled beasties instead of underground worms, and Jeff from Coupling instead of Kevin Bacon.
Surprisingly decent effects, but unsurprisingly average overall.

5/10

x-tempus
Leather Rebel

Postby x-tempus » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:19 pm

Darkweasel wrote:GRABBERS

Jeff from Coupling
10/10

didn't realise Richard Coyle was in it - saw it online a couple of days ago but didn't watch it, definite weekend viewing :)
Fjar wrote:"Open up, love. I know you don't like it, but it's good for you!"

De Stijl wrote:One rule for vegetables, another rule for cock.
DOUBLE STANDARDS

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:56 pm

Django Unchained was excellent. Christolph Waltz better win the Oscar for best supporting Actor. 8/10
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:57 pm

Not really watched anything new, but my film schedule has been all of the Rambo's, Demolition Man and tonight we watched Eurotrip. This made me happy.

Tomorrow, Cliffhanger.