movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Luke_X
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Luke_X » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:24 pm

Soze wrote:Has there ever been a long running horror franchise that has produced a decent amount of quality? Hellraiser, Nightmare on Elm St, Halloween, Friday the 13th...all end up being shit real quick. The only one I can think of is the Evil Dead trilogy ( although by the 3rd it wasn't remotely horror, just comedy fantasy ).

it think the fact Evil Dead kept changing was a good move. the first is clearly a straight up horror movie but quite cheesy compared to today's standards. the second film sort of remade the first but bought on a more gore/ridiculous concept but still keeping it's horror roots and incorporating more of an action hero character for Bruce. the third is really just a fantasy comedy (as you said) but still keeping that typical 80's action hero suave for Bruce to play off.

even the remake is changing the mould as well for the series switching from male to female lead, and clearly a lot more gore related for today's audience's but not too much to alienate the original fan base. it's really hard to tell how much 'horror' it's going to have in it based on the trailers. but as i've said, if Bruce gives his approval, then i will happily go see it.

maybe it would lead to a team up of Bruce and the new girl? i've always thought the 4th film could of happened in the background and Bruce became famous for ridding the world of deadites (kinda like a Ghostbuster) and the '5th' film would be them joining forces. kinda a play on buddy movies but done the way they would.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:12 pm

Just got back from seeing The Hobbit, a truly magical experience, I don't like 3d, so saw it in 2, but the whole film was just a feast for the eyes, outstanding 9/10

Roll on the extended cut and the next 2 films
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:38 pm

Soze wrote:Has there ever been a long running horror franchise that has produced a decent amount of quality? Hellraiser, Nightmare on Elm St, Halloween, Friday the 13th...all end up being shit real quick. The only one I can think of is the Evil Dead trilogy ( although by the 3rd it wasn't remotely horror, just comedy fantasy ).

Texas Chainsaw Massacre springs to mind.. certainly there's more good films (4) than bad (2) in that series.. Yet to see Texas Chainsaw 3D, actually.

Other than that, I actually really like all of the Nightmare on Elm St, Halloween and Friday the 13th movies, up to but not including the remakes. Friday the 13th and ANOES started as they meant to go on, with F13 being hack 'n slash and ANOES being "The Freddy Show" (though I'll give you A New Nightmare was a step away from that). Halloween took a step down for 2 with the addition of gore, and then I don't personally think it suffered until 8 (Resurrection), but that's only because the "Big Brother" style horror movie was in fashion at the time and it was a poor end to an awesome series.

Come to think of it, it's usually the final film that cocks it up.. Jason X, A New Nightmare and Halloween: Resurrection are all more fizzles than the films going out with a bang. At least Saw: The Final Chapter had the best ending since the first one, even if it was predictable.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:07 am

TEXAS CHAINSAW 3D

The story goes that on August 18th 1973 a group of teenagers were killed by a family of four cannibalistic psychopaths. The last surviving member of the group, a screamy little creature called Sally Hardesty, made one last, desperate bid for freedom through a closed window the following morning, and after being chased by one of the family wielding a chainsaw, finally made her escape in the back of a pick-up truck.

And that's where The Texas Chain Saw Massacre ended.

Now, completely ignoring the three existing sequels (and it's two recent prequels), we open with the local Sheriff rushing to the farmhouse from where Sally had escaped, to confront and arrest the family of people-eating nutters.
Except that now, the family has suddenly and inexplicably increased in size by another four members. And includes a baby.

Er... what?

So, while the local townsfolk (who seem to be aware of the mental health of the family but were happy to let them go about their business until they killed a handful of complete strangers) shoot the psychos and burn down the farmhouse, two of them kidnap the baby, kill its mother, and run off to play happy families.

Okay, so that's at least a little more believable.
Sort of.

The film then cuts to to the present day. Now remember - it's 2012 and the farmhouse was burnt to the ground in 1973. That's a space of 39 years for those of you who can't be bothered to work it out.
And I include the film-makers in that.
Why? Because our leading lady, the baby from 1973, is now apparently only in her mid-twenties. A raven-haired, tightly toned lovely called Heather, with nary a grey hair nor hint of a wrinkle in sight.
Upon hearing she has inherited a mansion from her grandmother, her "parents" tell her that she was actually "adopted" and she runs off crying to South Texas to claim her big house, taking her best friend and her boyfriend with her.

After completely and not at all predictably picking up a hitchhiker along the way, Heather meets the family lawyer at the entrance to her new estate who hands her the keys and a letter. He then very carefully proceeds to tell her (twice in fact) to READ. THE. LETTER.
Remember, Heather. READ THE LETTER.

She doesn't read the letter.

She does, however, read a newspaper detailing the events of the 18th/19th of August 1973.
But somehow the newspaper is also (and very clearly) dated the 19th. That's quite some local paper they have there.
They must also have the fountain of youth there because, apart from having no hair, the sheriff looks identical to how he did in 1973, as does the chap who instigates the burning of the farmhouse, and, well, everybody who was involved with the story back then.
That's not even mentioning Leatherface himself, who at the time was presumably in his late teens/early twenties, making him around 60 years old now, yet still fully capable of chasing kids and camper vans while waving a chainsaw about.

So, anyway, the hitchhiker turns out to be a thief, the boyfriend turns out to be a cheat, and the best friend turns out to be the girl with whom her boyfriend cheated.
Can anybody spell DEAD?

After a friendly game of hide, seek, and chainsaw, and a couple of chases (one of which features a bizarre sort of passing of the torch from the Saw franchise to this new one as a robed character with a pigs head comes face to face with Leatherface), the film eventually disintegrates into a series of increasingly unlikely events (can someone show me where I can buy one of those brilliant mobile phones that streams live and unbroken HD footage directly to police computers?), before finally ending with Leatherface somehow becoming some sort of vigilante hero type.

As a film in its own right, and forgetting all of the baggage of the original and its sequels, it's a fairly mundane, but ultimately harmless affair.
However, as a direct sequel to one of the most influential horror films of the 20th Century, it's nothing short of an abomination.
Yet it somehow still manages to be better than the one with Renée Zellweger.

Why didn't you just read the f**king letter, Heather?
3/10

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:45 pm

I still want to see it :P
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Applecore wrote:I still want to see it :P

Bad reviews always make me want to watch a film. :lol:

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:17 pm

Actually, yours is the first review against it I've read :lol: 2 out of 3 have been really good!
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:29 pm

Were they written by people who've never seen a horror film before?

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:25 pm

Darkweasel wrote:Were they written by people who've never seen a horror film before?

This.

I haven't seen a good review for Texas 3d.
I see the bad moon arising.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:38 pm

i've heard 'reviewers' say how good it is, but then i imagine they are the same people that say how great 'such n' such' horror film is that contains 4 unknown actors who just left high school, all of which are screamy teenage girls who just want to get their tits out, and then one z-list celebrity who also just happens to only be famous for slutting about town. so my faith in their 'reviews' is non-existant.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:41 pm

Darkweasel- Did you like the Texas chainsaw remake though because I think that's great?
I see the bad moon arising.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:35 pm

Horror bloggers, not "professional" critics, I should say. Freddy in Space and Dr Terror's Blog of Horrors in particular. But then, I'm more inclined to listen to guys like that (and to be fair, Gary has a very similar taste to mine most of the time) than someone paid to give an opinion.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:48 pm

Soze wrote:
Delightful-Jim wrote:I would genuinely laugh if Life Of Pi won best picture, but all I can see it doing is winnign best visuals, even though that should go to The Avengers.

What is the film like? I enjoyed the book but can't for the life of me see how it could translate to film. 2/3rds of it was just the young lad and a tiger on a boat trying to survive against the odds and pondering.

I haven't read the book, but I thought the film was fantastic. I understand it's quite different from the book, is the book told from the point of view of the older Pi? Whatever they've done, they've given it a narrative and direction. I don't think it'll win best picture, but I wouldn't get annoyed if it did.

Last night I went to see The Impossible. Why this isn't nominated for an Oscar, i don't know. It was well filmed, fantastically acted (Naomi Watts definitely earns her nomination), heartbreaking. The tsunami scenes them selves were realistic and terrifying, but it's the heart and the characters that make it. The cinema was packed when I saw it and I don't think a single person wasn't trying to hold back tears...myself included. definitely a 10/10!

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:52 pm

I thought cast members were nominated for an Oscar, but I think it was released too late to be considered for this year's awards as best film ?
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:25 pm

Andy Hall wrote:I thought cast members were nominated for an Oscar, but I think it was released too late to be considered for this year's awards as best film ?

That may well be the case...although I'm not sure why they'd be able to nominate the cast but not the film, doesn't make sense. Naomi Watts is nominated, but i don't think anybody else is, the kids were all pretty good too.