movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Applecore
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Applecore » Sun May 05, 2013 11:55 pm

Luke_X wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:All 3 of Nolan's films are brilliant, anyone who says otherwise is lying to be cool :P

The third film is the only let down. He just could never match the second film and he knew it.

Iron Man 3 - thuroughly enjoyed it. Not sure why people are complaining about how disappointing it is. A great start to 'phase 2'. Not to keen on how The Mandarin was portrayed but it was fitting to the story and he was always gonna be a tough character to bring to the screen. I also found it almost likewatching a super hero version of Leathal Weapon, the similarities were endless. I would have to watch it again a few times though to really absorb it all and the post credit scene was fantastic. Bring on Thor in November. 8/10

Very much this. In both points.
Batman: Really, really like The Dark Knight Rises, but The Dark Knight was a HUGE success that almost came out of nowhere (let's be honest, Batman Begins kinda went under the radar, and Heath Ledger's death shot TDK straight to number one. Not knocking it at all, but Ledger's death certainly helped it, much like Brandon Lee's death in The Crow). Cracking trilogy nonetheless.

Iron Man 3: Really liked it, but yeah, the twist with The Mandarin made the villain aspect seem almost anticlimactic, but the "boss fight" aspect in which I judge Marvel movies really pulled it out. I came out of the film thinking it should've been called "Tony Stark" as opposed to "Iron Man 3", but as a mate pointed out - as he says in the film, Tony Stark is Iron Man. So with or without the suit, it's still an Iron Man movie as long as Tony Stark is the main character. That said, I'm kind of glad to hear that it's the final Iron Man movie, and as a trilogy I think it works well. It comes full circle and given his involvement in The Avengers, it makes sense for Tony Stark to put an end to it all now.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

deeno
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby deeno » Mon May 06, 2013 6:31 am

Hey all , not been on here in an age. Anyway as some of you know I have had a film review blog for a while. Well I have now gone a step further and launched my own site today - UKHorrorScene . While it has gone live this is still very much a work in progress , but should start picking up in the next few weeks with new contributors and articles . As well as film reviews there will be music & gig reviews , comics/graphics and book reviews , a lifestyle page for anything from clothing to homewares to prints etc. There is an interactive calendar that soon will have a list of events in the UK for screenings , gigs , festivals , conventions , releases and so on - if you have anything to add mail at calendar@ukhorrorscene.com . And finally there is a submission (no not that type) page where you can quickly send in news/reviews for just a few clicks .
Thanks for reading and please check out the site - much appreciated.
www.ukhorrorscene.com

Beezerk
Consort of the Beast

Postby Beezerk » Mon May 06, 2013 8:33 am

Watched Bernie last night, not really a Jack Black fan but this one was exceptional, great film.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Mon May 06, 2013 10:45 am

Applecore wrote:
Luke_X wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:All 3 of Nolan's films are brilliant, anyone who says otherwise is lying to be cool :P

The third film is the only let down. He just could never match the second film and he knew it.

Iron Man 3 - thuroughly enjoyed it. Not sure why people are complaining about how disappointing it is. A great start to 'phase 2'. Not to keen on how The Mandarin was portrayed but it was fitting to the story and he was always gonna be a tough character to bring to the screen. I also found it almost likewatching a super hero version of Leathal Weapon, the similarities were endless. I would have to watch it again a few times though to really absorb it all and the post credit scene was fantastic. Bring on Thor in November. 8/10

Very much this. In both points.
Batman: Really, really like The Dark Knight Rises, but The Dark Knight was a HUGE success that almost came out of nowhere (let's be honest, Batman Begins kinda went under the radar, and Heath Ledger's death shot TDK straight to number one. Not knocking it at all, but Ledger's death certainly helped it, much like Brandon Lee's death in The Crow). Cracking trilogy nonetheless.

Iron Man 3: Really liked it, but yeah, the twist with The Mandarin made the villain aspect seem almost anticlimactic, but the "boss fight" aspect in which I judge Marvel movies really pulled it out. I came out of the film thinking it should've been called "Tony Stark" as opposed to "Iron Man 3", but as a mate pointed out - as he says in the film, Tony Stark is Iron Man. So with or without the suit, it's still an Iron Man movie as long as Tony Stark is the main character. That said, I'm kind of glad to hear that it's the final Iron Man movie, and as a trilogy I think it works well. It comes full circle and given his involvement in The Avengers, it makes sense for Tony Stark to put an end to it all now.

To quote the head of marvel from a recent interview:

" Kevin Feige stated that the next major appearance and storyline for Iron Man would be in The Avengers sequel, as well as considering another Iron Man film after that release."

So whether this just as Tony or the return of Iron Man only Joss knows. But I'd expect the latter.

Owen
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Owen » Mon May 06, 2013 8:54 pm

AnnihiSlateR wrote:I don't remember crying, but I seem to recall it being more powerful than I'd expected, but I can't remember what about it, or rather why exactly I felt that.

I didn't cry, but it's an absurd movie, which in some ways makes it even more emotionally powerful, because you can't even tell what to think.
Turbo wrote:Got to be honest, in comparison to pizza you can get take away or at restaurants - shop bought pizza is shit. Had another doner kebab pizza today. Shit is off the fucking chain.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Mon May 06, 2013 9:54 pm

Just watched the second and last of Nolan's Batman films. I think they were amazing. Really enjoyed them.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Tue May 07, 2013 12:59 am

The only thing that annoys me in those movies is how overrated heath ledgers joker is. I do think he was good but i also think it could have been much better. Its a real shame that the best joker only did the voice and doesnt even want to do that anymore.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue May 07, 2013 10:28 am

Applecore wrote:Batman: Really, really like The Dark Knight Rises, but The Dark Knight was a HUGE success that almost came out of nowhere (let's be honest, Batman Begins kinda went under the radar, and Heath Ledger's death shot TDK straight to number one.

This got me thinking, I remember Batman Begins being a critical success but I never really recall it being a massive hit film. Just checking IMDB it cost $150m and took $370m. That's not huge (didn't even make the top 5 of the year and was even beaten by Wedding Crashers).

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue May 07, 2013 11:30 am

I don't even remember seeing trailers for Batman Begins. I was hugely uninterested when it came out. Wasn't until a female friend I had a massive crush on wanted to watch it with me that I developed an interest :lol:
Nothing happened with her in the end, but I enjoyed the movie!
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue May 07, 2013 11:51 am

Applecore wrote:I don't even remember seeing trailers for Batman Begins. I was hugely uninterested when it came out. Wasn't until a female friend I had a massive crush on wanted to watch it with me that I developed an interest :lol:

Am I the only one who saw it in the cinema then! :lol:
I see the bad moon arising.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue May 07, 2013 12:25 pm

A few of my mates saw it in the cinema (separately) and all came back complaining that it was too loud :lol:
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:29 pm

Ghost wrote:
Applecore wrote:I don't even remember seeing trailers for Batman Begins. I was hugely uninterested when it came out. Wasn't until a female friend I had a massive crush on wanted to watch it with me that I developed an interest :lol:

Nope I did too, it's a really good film!
Steam = Starchild
Facebook

Catch me at:
20/6/20 - Rammstein - Coventry

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue May 07, 2013 1:03 pm

I saw it in the cinema but I don't remember being excited or hyped about it.

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Tue May 07, 2013 1:17 pm

Andy Hall wrote:
Turbo wrote:I don't think I had ever seen the first Batman until today. Shit. I thought the first one was the film that is Batman Returns which I have seen countless times. :?

Nope first 1 was as close to the comic as Burton would go, second was a Burton movie in the Batman universe ha ha

I love Burton's Batman movies, many don't though, too gothic for some

I like the first two Nolan films as well but the Burton two are the best Batman films by far for me.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Tue May 07, 2013 2:49 pm

Ghost wrote:

Batman being my favourite character I was really excited by the trailer I saw and watched it opening weekend
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol: