movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: movies

Postby Ghost » Thu May 09, 2013 8:43 am

Yeah I don't care that much about it because it's all been done before. If it had come out before Transformers (which I like) I might be more excited about it.
I see the bad moon arising.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Thu May 09, 2013 10:05 am

I've been given the night off, so i'm off to see Star Trek :yes:
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Thu May 09, 2013 2:18 pm

Star Trek Into Darkness

This film had everything, the story was brilliant, the performances especially from Cumberbatch were top notch, the effects were drool worthy, I nearly came with the end shot through the clouds, and the ships designs oooohhhhh :goggly: the nods to the original films were brilliantly done, and the emotion was fantastically brought across, the comedy interaction is still very much there, and this time feels like mates ribbing on each other, it was done very well

Peter Weller was brilliantly cast, great performance from him.

I was very pleased that this wasn't just a rehash of the first movie with bigger effects, it was its own film and you didn't need to have seen the first to have enjoyed it either, the opening sequence was especially well done, and set the tone for the rest of the film brilliantly.

The 1 thing I will say, this showed J J Abrams love for Star Wars more than the first film, this was more action than exploration, effectively this is a chase movie and that will change with the next film, which was nicely set up, all in all if you liked the first film, you'll like this, if you didn't, nothing here will change your mind, for me, I will be seeing this again for film Tuesday next week :lol:

Bring on Star Wars, I have no worries for episode VII at all, J J is the man for the job going on this

9/10
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:07 pm

Andy Hall wrote:Star Trek Into Darkness

This film had everything, the story was brilliant, the performances especially from Cumberbatch were top notch, the effects were drool worthy, I nearly came with the end shot through the clouds, and the ships designs oooohhhhh :goggly: the nods to the original films were brilliantly done, and the emotion was fantastically brought across, the comedy interaction is still very much there, and this time feels like mates ribbing on each other, it was done very well

Peter Weller was brilliantly cast, great performance from him.

I was very pleased that this wasn't just a rehash of the first movie with bigger effects, it was its own film and you didn't need to have seen the first to have enjoyed it either, the opening sequence was especially well done, and set the tone for the rest of the film brilliantly.

The 1 thing I will say, this showed J J Abrams love for Star Wars more than the first film, this was more action than exploration, effectively this is a chase movie and that will change with the next film, which was nicely set up, all in all if you liked the first film, you'll like this, if you didn't, nothing here will change your mind, for me, I will be seeing this again for film Tuesday next week :lol:

Bring on Star Wars, I have no worries for episode VII at all, J J is the man for the job going on this

9/10

:eyes:
Steam = Starchild
Facebook

Catch me at:
20/6/20 - Rammstein - Coventry

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu May 09, 2013 8:20 pm

Applecore wrote:
Soze wrote:I adored Kick Ass 2, really quite excited about the sequel. I only went to see the first one after I heard it upset the Daily Mail, things like that are worth supporting! Ended up being one of my favourite films of recent years.

Was that 2 accidental or are you referring to the comic?
Either way, I'm psyched for the sequel. Not sure how true they'll keep it to the comic, as there's some stuff that goes on that I can't see any major studios allowing to happen in film, especially considering the amount of shootings in schools over there..
But that said, they changed plenty from the first comic for the first movie and it was still excellent, so I have faith in them again this time around.

I meant Kick Ass, not sure why I threw the '2' in there. Daft twat!

I'm not feeling Pacific Rim at all, just looks like a boring CGI slug fest. But I may give it a go because of Del Toro, hopefully he's bringing more to the table than the trailer suggests.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu May 09, 2013 8:57 pm

I'm hoping that Ellen McLain brings a bit of GLaDOS into her AI performance in Pacific Rim. I know it'd probably be a cheap laugh, but I do fucking love GLaDOS..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu May 09, 2013 9:04 pm

Well im looking forward to it. Del Toro directing and writing, starring Charlie Hunman from sons of anarchy, Idris Elba from Luthor and various other great things, Ron Pearlman from Hellboy and sons of anarchy, and GladOs who Del Toro added for shiggles because he likes Portal so much. Add to that giant robots and giant monsters and you have a great film imo.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Thu May 09, 2013 9:07 pm

Yeah sorry I should have said, J J Abrams went on record as saying he initially didn't want the Star Wars job due to being a massive fan of the franchise, and his main inspiration growing up, he wasn't necessarily a Star Trek fan, and feels more comfortable doing Star Trek as he isn't emotionally attached to the franchise in the same way he is Star Wars, and knows he can royally screw this up big time if he's not careful

PhilMow
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby PhilMow » Thu May 09, 2013 9:24 pm

Seeing Star Trek on Saturday.
Canae wait!
Festivals
MetallicA's Big Day Out 99
Ozzfest 01
Download 07
Rock Am Ring 08
Bloodstock 09,10,11,12,13,14,15
Hammerfest 13, 14, 15
Temples 14

Damnation 15[/size]

Slayer-ov-orcs
Denim Demon

Postby Slayer-ov-orcs » Thu May 09, 2013 10:19 pm

One of my friends just told me who the villain is in the new Star Trek, that totally ruined what would have been a nice surprise, granted I probably won't end up going to see it.
Feel free to add me on last.fm http://www.last.fm/user/Slayer-ov-orcs

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu May 09, 2013 11:00 pm

MUNICH
Steven Spielberg muddies the water between fact and fiction, vengeance and justice, and terrorism and counter-terrorism.
A group of low ranking Mossad operatives are sent to kill high ranking officials involved in the Black September organisation's massacre at the 1972 Munich Olympic Games.
What begins as fairly straightforward retaliation slowly becomes a seemingly unending quest for vengeance as each member of Black September killed is immediately replaced with someone even worse. Then things become even worse when the group discover that they themselves are being hunted down.

With recent films like The Terminal, Minority Report, Tintin, and Indiana Jones and the Crystal Pay Cheque, it's easy to forget that Spielberg also has the capability to shock with realistic violence as he does in Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan. Munich features some of Spielberg's darkest moments and one scene in particular will not be leaving my head any time soon, such is its disturbing nature.

The acting is top notch, the story moves along quickly, and at no point in it's near three hour running time does it ever drag. Eric Bana is immense and proves he can remember how to act rather than go through the motions, Daniel Craig is most definitely not Bond, Ciarán Hinds and Geoffrey Rush are both typically superb, but the show is almost stolen by the most unlikely of sources - Michael Lonsdale, better known as Hugo Drax, the Bond villain from Moonraker.

How much is fact and how much is fiction is irrelevant (especially as it's based on a novel in the first place). It's just a quality film from beginning to end.
9/10

EVIL DEAD
A recovering drug addict is taken to a cabin in the woods to go cold turkey in this remake of the low budget Sam Raimi '80s cult classic.
One of the friends finds a book wrapped in barbed wire and before you can say "don't cut the barbed wire!" he cuts the barbed wire. Then, before you can say "the book says not to read the passages aloud, so don't do it!", he does that too.
So, a bit of a twat really.
Anyway, demonic forces are unleashed, trees get rapey, limbs get severed, blood rains from the sky, and there
is much screaming and yelping.

Although well made and not what I would call a bad film, it's also not a patch on the original, mainly due to its über serious tone. Leaving no room whatsoever for wit or levity, it only takes a short time before you realise that no matter how DARKLY DARK and SINISTERLY SINISTER it all gets, it's just not in the least bit scary.
6/10

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Thu May 09, 2013 11:07 pm

Slayer-ov-orcs wrote:One of my friends just told me who the villain is in the new Star Trek, that totally ruined what would have been a nice surprise, granted I probably won't end up going to see it.

Hasn't ruined anything then :lol:

And Munich is a spectacular film :yes:

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri May 10, 2013 2:53 pm

Darkweasel wrote:EVIL DEAD
Although well made and not what I would call a bad film, it's also not a patch on the original, mainly due to its über serious tone. Leaving no room whatsoever for wit or levity, it only takes a short time before you realise that no matter how DARKLY DARK and SINISTERLY SINISTER it all gets, it's just not in the least bit scary.
6/10

But did it need it? Sam Raimi's Evil Dead didn't have very much humour in it at all - the only reason people see it as funny now is because of how badly the effects have aged. If it were attempting to remake Evil Dead 2, I'd agree, but I'm really happy they went serious with this one.
As for it not being scary, I've discussed that with a few mates - do you think it could be "not scary" because people like us have seen so much that we just can't find films all that scary anymore? Like I don't have any real belief in demons or ghosts, so I can't find these films scary. Only ones that do tend to creep me out are the ones about real people.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri May 10, 2013 5:27 pm

TP.

Damn you, pooter! :x
Last edited by Darkweasel on Fri May 10, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri May 10, 2013 5:27 pm

DP
Last edited by Darkweasel on Fri May 10, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.