movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
User avatar
Applecore
Denim Demon
Posts: 9555
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:01 pm
Location: Parts Unknown
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby Applecore » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:46 pm

I really liked the first Despicable Me, and felt the minion use was enough. Not sure if I like the idea of them being used more for the sequel (that said I'm not exactly the target audience so who gives a shit what I think :lol: ).. Fucking bang on idea for whoever designed them though - small, simple, kids will want all of them.
Still want to see it, mind. Monsters University, too. But I'd probably go to a late screening for both. I get that they're kids films but I just can't stand watching a film in a room with parents who can't/won't control their kids.

One question, Kim - did you see Despicable Me 2 in 3D? I've stopped giving a shit about 3D as I've realised that most of the time it adds nothing and I'm paying an extra £2/3 for nothing..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

bloodfiend
Denim Demon
Posts: 3305
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: movies

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:30 pm

Ndnd wrote:Went to see Despicable me 2 last night at the cinema, was really good. They do much more with the Minions in this film


Just saw Dispicable Me 2 in the cinema this morning, absolutely loved it, I'd give it 9/10.

Haven't seen the first one, so I definitely need to check it out now - this, Puss In Boots and Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs prove that it's not just Pixar producing the best animations these days.

User avatar
Andy Hall
Denim Demon
Posts: 3561
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:25 pm

Re: movies

Postby Andy Hall » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:32 pm

Puss In Boots was hilarious, and that film took a hammering by the critics, I thought it was better than the Shrek films :lol:
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

bloodfiend
Denim Demon
Posts: 3305
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: movies

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:41 pm

Andy Hall wrote:Puss In Boots was hilarious, and that film took a hammering by the critics, I thought it was better than the Shrek films :lol:


Yeah I preferred it to the Shrek films too, was a bit skeptical about it at first cos he wasn't a very interesting character in Shrek, but he really came into his own with his own film. Loved the old Mexican vibe and the chemistry with Antonio Banderas and Salma Hayek...it was like Desperado with cats :lol:

Edit: and it didn't take a hammering by the critics, generally very positive reviews:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1209933-puss_in_boots/

User avatar
Applecore
Denim Demon
Posts: 9555
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:01 pm
Location: Parts Unknown
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby Applecore » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:01 pm

Shit, may need to look up Puss in Boots, then.
Also, you mentioned Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. Loved that film so much. Really excited for the sequel!
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

User avatar
Andy Hall
Denim Demon
Posts: 3561
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:25 pm

Re: movies

Postby Andy Hall » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:06 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:Puss In Boots was hilarious, and that film took a hammering by the critics, I thought it was better than the Shrek films :lol:


Yeah I preferred it to the Shrek films too, was a bit skeptical about it at first cos he wasn't a very interesting character in Shrek, but he really came into his own with his own film. Loved the old Mexican vibe and the chemistry with Antonio Banderas and Salma Hayek...it was like Desperado with cats :lol:

Edit: and it didn't take a hammering by the critics, generally very positive reviews:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1209933-puss_in_boots/


I just liked the fact it was Zorro as a cat , but it was the subtle things they did with it, the fact a cat was interacting quite happily with people and using a sword and talking, yet still a cat with all the little things that cats love :lol:

The Zorro films are 2 of my favourite films ever, I just never get bored of them :yes:
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

bloodfiend
Denim Demon
Posts: 3305
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: movies

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:33 pm

ish42 wrote:
Applecore wrote:Shit, may need to look up Puss in Boots, then.
Also, you mentioned Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. Loved that film so much. Really excited for the sequel!


Saw the trailer for the sequel this morning and laughed out loud a few times. That's more than I do for lots of whole films so I have high hopes.

Must agree, the first one is indeed excellent.


Wow I was completely unaware there was a sequel....and it's out in a few months, hell yeah!

I loved the first one, so I can't wait for this.

User avatar
Slayer-ov-orcs
Denim Demon
Posts: 4458
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:48 pm
Location: Reading
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby Slayer-ov-orcs » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:33 pm

Watched Surf Nazis Must Die and Poultrygeist today, it has been a good day.
Feel free to add me on last.fm http://www.last.fm/user/Slayer-ov-orcs

User avatar
Applecore
Denim Demon
Posts: 9555
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:01 pm
Location: Parts Unknown
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby Applecore » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:07 am

I've never gotten more than 20 minutes into Surf Nazis Must Die. Kept it for the novelty of having the DVD in my collection but never cared for the film. Is it worth powering through?
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

User avatar
Ndnd
Denim Demon
Posts: 6240
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: Reading
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby Ndnd » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:42 am

Applecore wrote:I really liked the first Despicable Me, and felt the minion use was enough. Not sure if I like the idea of them being used more for the sequel (that said I'm not exactly the target audience so who gives a shit what I think :lol: ).. Fucking bang on idea for whoever designed them though - small, simple, kids will want all of them.
Still want to see it, mind. Monsters University, too. But I'd probably go to a late screening for both. I get that they're kids films but I just can't stand watching a film in a room with parents who can't/won't control their kids.

One question, Kim - did you see Despicable Me 2 in 3D? I've stopped giving a shit about 3D as I've realised that most of the time it adds nothing and I'm paying an extra £2/3 for nothing..


No I didn't watch in 3D as I flat out refuse to watch films in 3D after I saw Alice in Wonderland and was underwhelmed and missed a lot of the background detail. There is a bit in the credits that was clearly made to show off the 3D but to be honest I wouldn't watch the whole film in it- I just don't get it.
I saw Despicable me 2 at a 19.00 showing and was pleasantly surprised to find that there were hardly any kids, but again that may have been because they were all at the 3D showing?
Mau Mau
Noodle wrote:Darkweasel, Kim or sig in 3.... 2...

User avatar
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2667
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:09 pm

Re: movies

Postby Ghost » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:29 am

I'm also a huge fan of Cloudy with a chance of meatballs. An unsung classic. :yes:
I see the bad moon arising.

User avatar
Ndnd
Denim Demon
Posts: 6240
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: Reading
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby Ndnd » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:33 am

Ghost wrote:I'm also a huge fan of Cloudy with a chance of meatballs. An unsung classic. :yes:

Yes. I saw it on the shelves and it never took my fancy then a few friends saw it and raved about it so brought it and it was cool. My trip to the cinema also informed me there is a second film for that coming out soon.
Mau Mau
Noodle wrote:Darkweasel, Kim or sig in 3.... 2...

User avatar
Slayer-ov-orcs
Denim Demon
Posts: 4458
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:48 pm
Location: Reading
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby Slayer-ov-orcs » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:30 am

Applecore wrote:I've never gotten more than 20 minutes into Surf Nazis Must Die. Kept it for the novelty of having the DVD in my collection but never cared for the film. Is it worth powering through?

It gets better towards the end, it's the worst Troma thing I have seen so far though.
Feel free to add me on last.fm http://www.last.fm/user/Slayer-ov-orcs

User avatar
Ensorcelled
Denim Demon
Posts: 7513
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: movies

Postby Ensorcelled » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:55 am

Stoker was okay. Predictable as shit though.
Image

User avatar
AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon
Posts: 18671
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:52 am
Location: Leigh
Contact:

Re: movies

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:16 pm

Stoker was more than ok, it was mint.

What was predictable about it? There's not an awful lot of the film that's plot driven, and a lot isn't revealed. The only thing you could really predict would be what happened to her father (I say it vaguely to avoid spoilers).
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18