movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Jobdone
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Jobdone » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:35 pm

Old post, but just found this on kickstarter today in it's last two days and chipped in.

Seems entertaining.

Pope Richard
Lowly Peon

Postby Pope Richard » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:11 pm

I just found my copy of This is Spinal Tap and now my afternoon is sorted.
I'm in a few bands: The Meads of Asphodel, Carnivorous Forest, Ebonillumini, The Higher Craft, Iron Thatcher, Antitheist, Sea Wolves of the Atlantic, Chantepleure, Maple Tea, <Redacted>.

I also host a weekly podcast called The Eucharistic Assembly.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:06 pm

Jobdone wrote:

Old post, but just found this on kickstarter today in it's last two days and chipped in.

Seems entertaining.

I've chipped in for the blu-ray, but then read the whole thing and realised that unless it hits $1,000,000, it's only going to be a 30-minute film that'll be released free online.
So in a way I'm paying £18 ($30) for a 30-minute film I can see free online, plus some nifty features on blu-ray. But I'm actually kind of alright with that, because I don't know if they're doing a general release of the dvd/blu-rays, and it'll be a cool thing to have.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Oh wow. That sneaky as fuck lack of comma.

I thought it said "100,000" not "1000,000".

Still. I also went for the bluray and I'm not gonna change it.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:16 pm

Yeah, bit cheeky that they don't actually specify it until near the bottom of the page, and even then it's kind of vague about it.

Plus Manborg was made for $1000 CAD (about £540) and is something like 77 minutes long. That's mostly CGI too, and had a worldwide DVD release.

Ah well, maybe they'll double their takings in the next 48 hours :lol:
Or perhaps realise they don't need a million dollars to make more than 30 minutes of footage..?

EDIT: Just read it again, seems they want the million to get an academy-award nominated producer to take it to distributors. Hopefully the $582,000 will still get them a producer who'll take it somewhere?
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:08 am

Just watched The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.
Miles better than the first one. More mature, a better story, better acting, and just better everything.
8/10

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:52 pm

Last Vegas - Decent buddy style comedy, with some great one liners & a stellar cast, worth a watch. 6/10

The Necessary Death of Charlie Countryman - Drama, mash-up. The premise & screenplay are flawed, really it's just very messy, not to mention Shia LaBeuof is still very annoying. But it's bolstered by great performances by Mads Mickelson & even the comedy relief from Rupert Grint & James Buckley adds enough to make it watchable.

Also boobs.....lots of boobs....5.5/10.

The Fifth Estate - Poor film, made watchable because Benedict Cumberbatch is great. 5/10.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:03 pm

Went to see Frozen today. Absolutely loved it.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:49 pm

A Single Shot - Thriller. Unfortunately the only thing thrilling about this is it's genre. A basic cat-&-mouse battle between a lone hunter & a group of criminals. It does have a good performance by Sam Rockwell, but the rest is bleak, predictable & slow. 5/10.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:59 pm

So, Kung Fury more than doubled its Kickstarter target, but it sounds like they're still going to just do the 30 minute movie for now.

Bit ticked off by that, actually.
Last edited by Applecore on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:04 pm

In fact, from the update itself:
...because of the massive response and publicity this campaign has received, there’s a number of financers and distributors who want to help make the full feature a reality. So I haven’t given up on the idea.

There’s been some suggestions to make a 45 and 60 minute version as a part of the stretch goals. And while I think it’s a cool idea I’d rather make the 30 minute version completely mind-blowing. I don’t want to drag it out and make it 45 or 60 just cause, I’d rather have the 30 minute version serve as a great proof of concept for the full length feature. The money above the initial $200,000 goal will go to making the film more kick-ass and awesome, it will also cover the initial costs of developing the concept further for a full feature film.

Making the 30-minute version and having it "serve as a great proof of concept for the full length feature" seems a bit daft if just outright making the full length feature is something that's totally doable to me.. Seems he's just after making a bit more cash from the project really.

He does go on to say this, though, which does sound cool..
...for the DVD/Blu-ray I would like it to be packaged in a VHS-container, and perhaps include a small comic book. It is difficult for me to say exactly what will be included right now, because we’re still working on ideas, but the bottom-line is we won’t half-ass it.

If it's in a VHS case with a comic book or something then I'll be happy as my £18 will have felt worth it, but I think I'd still rather see a 90 minute film.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:58 pm

I had a headache before watching this, now I think my brain is waving a white flag...Terry Gilliam is weird :lol:

Will be seeing this at the cinema.

Zero Theorem - Official Trailer

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:04 pm

Completely forgot about Kung Fury. I wonder if could still contribute for a blu Ray in a few weeks on pay day. Craig, do you know?

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:06 pm

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:I had a headache before watching this, now I think my brain is waving a white flag...Terry Gilliam is weird :lol:

Will be seeing this at the cinema.

Zero Theorem - Official Trailer

Not gonna watch the trailer, wanna go into that movie completely clean, but definitely seeing it.

All I know is Terry Gilliam and Christoph Waltz. More than enough to interest me.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:12 pm

Luke_X wrote:Completely forgot about Kung Fury. I wonder if could still contribute for a blu Ray in a few weeks on pay day. Craig, do you know?

Not as far as I know. I think with Kickstarter, once the funding time has ended, that's it. All I could suggest is e-mailing the makers at laserunicorns@gmail.com and say you want a blu-ray but didn't have the money in time for the end of the campaign.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock