movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Applecore
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Applecore » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:57 am

Watched Captain Phillips on the plane. Excellent.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:00 am

Dallas Buyer Club - very good, with some strong performances. 4/5
Monuments Men - likeable, but average and a bit of a waste of the talent involved 2.5 to 3/5

tranmerefan
Denim Demon

Postby tranmerefan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:06 pm

Captain Phillips; quality film.

Robocop the remake. Thank fuck it was Orange Wednesday, otherwise it would seem even more shit
Last.fm Profile

Facebook

BLIND GUARDIANl; FEN; A FOREST OF STARS; FEN; NIGHTWISH; FEN; OLD CORPSE ROAD; FEN; UFO; FEN; WODENSTHRONE; FEN; AGALLOCH AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FEN FOR BOA 2014

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:31 pm

Didn't care much for Captain Phillips. Everything plodded along until the last half an hour when Hanks suddenly started overacting like his career depended on it.

Gravity and Captain Phillips are easily the two weakest Oscar noms if you ask me.

mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby mikeftw » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:43 pm

Darkweasel wrote:Didn't care much for Captain Phillips. Everything plodded along until the last half an hour when Hanks suddenly started overacting like his career depended on it.

Gravity and Captain Phillips are easily the two weakest Oscar noms if you ask me.

Havent seen either, havent wanted to see them either, I trust my judgement, defo Leo or McConaughey for best actor this year imo

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:55 am

Gravity was alright, but I'm in no rush to watch it again. All I can really recall of it is that Sandra Bullock hyperventilates for about 2 hours.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:33 am

I think gravity was good from a technical point of view, and I was certainly impressed, but I just didn't feel that as the full package it was quite there.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:50 am

I really hope it goes to McConaughey. I really didn't rate 12YaS that much. Plus it was McConaughey and Leto's performances that make DBC, without a solid acting performance that film really isn't anything special at all, but thankfully they are on form and make it worth seeing.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:18 am

Candle up his ass or not it should go to DiCaprio. Probably won't though.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:48 pm

Applecore wrote:Gravity was alright, but I'm in no rush to watch it again. All I can really recall of it is that Sandra Bullock hyperventilates for about 2 hours.

Apparently NASA astronauts have been picking holes in it all over the place.

One of my main problems with it was Bullock's vision/dream/fantasy/breakdown and her general panicking for most of the film. Just how rubbish are NASA's psych-evaluations?

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:02 pm

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... s-Its-Cast

So this is the new Fantastic 4.

I don't know who any of them are, but apparently the new Invisible Woman actress is from House of Cards, so, there ya go.

Oh and The Human Torch is now a black guy. Awesome :D
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:10 pm

Some great actors just terrible casting. You could have the best actor in the world at your hands, doesn't necessarily mean they are meant for a role.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:07 am

All I will say is, much like my stance on the casting for Batman vs Superman, you can't really criticise a film for the casting choices until you've seen it. People slated Heath Ledger being chosen for The Joker and he knocked it out of the park.
With how things are in Hollywood, production companies usually have their say about who they cast. If someone's bankable, they're basically handed the part. Realistically, what we fans think about who should play what role is kind of irrelevant. It shouldn't be, but if studios listened to fans we'd have a sequel to Dredd and Firefly would still be on TV.

I'm not overly fussed by the casting. Honestly I've not really seen anything of the actors chosen. It's not who I'd have picked but I'm not in a high position at Sony Pictures. I'll likely see it anyway.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Cthulhu
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Cthulhu » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:45 am

Django Unchained SPOILERS
Ok so this is the movie that Tarantino decided would be a brand new Spaghetti Western (an example of a spaghetti western would be Clint Eastwood's Dollars trilogy)...if this movie was seriously meant to be comparable to spaghetti westerns it was a resounding failure. The camera work, script, special effects and storyline just do not fit that notion.

So lets talk a bit about the characters eh? They all use the word "Nigger" a whole lot, white or black which is a reference to the times of this movies setting but sometimes it seems as though the script attempts to squeeze as many usages as possible from the word.

Regardless of this fact lets look at the actual characters themselves. They are all entirely one dimensional.
* Django plays an angry former slave who wants his wife back.
* And how fortunate he is to find a bounty hunter who hates slavery and is willing to have himself killed defending abolitionism after setting a total of 8 black people free.
* Samuel L Jackson looks old as shit and does not portray a believable role, the notion of a black man talking to and with his owner in such a way in Mississippi during those days doesn't really stick.
* DiCaprio is a bit all over the place as he spirals between insane control freak, noble and honourable landed gentry, slave owner, kind owner, merciless to his own slaves and business man.
* Django's wife when the first instance of violence breaks out in the manor house she is a terrified mess and cowers as her husband shoots everyone in sight...at the end however when the house is blown up after Django shoots dead a whole bunch of people she laughs and celebrates his killing this wouldn't be so big a deal if it wasn't like 2 days later.
* DiCaprio's sister was an odd one she did absolutely fuck all except be involved in some awkward scenes that made me wonder if her and her brother were incestuous or just weird. She doesn't really say or do anything too significant but gets shot for it all the same.

Plot points that bothered me:
* That ridiculously long scene where Jonah Hill appears with some Proto-ku klux klan types to moan about bags worn on their heads. Seriously how fucking long and unnecessary was that scene. I believe it was meant to be funny but fell short there.
* The fact Django's owner both survived and appeared to be wearing modern clothing.
* The fact Django was magically a perfect shot from day one.
* The fact that when someone is shot they either can be shot a hundred times and still complain about each one or receive a single bullet that magically causes them to fly backwards.
* The blood looked like very cheap red paint.
* Too many attempts to utilise humour made this film feel like it was struggling to decide whether to be a legitimate serious movie or a comedy and as a result kinda failed to pull off either.
* The Script was just cringeworthy for the most part
* The bizarre way that DiCaprio allowed a group of redneck cousin fuckers to live on his land.

This is of course just my opinion but boring or inconsistent characters, silly script, no direction of mood and ridiculous effects makes me give this a 3/10.

Kinda feel like i was cheated of a few hours of my life. Don't really understand the hype this film generates.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Delightful-Jim wrote:Rule #1 of the bloodstock forums : If it exists, someone here will despise it.

Cthulhu
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Cthulhu » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:49 am

Oh and not to mention the fact that this movie would have been enhanced a fair bit by a good score and they even had Ennio Morricone for it a very famous composer for Spaghetti Western scores...and yet he's limited in how much of his material was used (one or two pieces only if i'm not mistaken) and there are several rap songs ( all utilising heavy use of the word "nigger" once again) and other strange song choices that kinda detract from the nature of the film portrayed.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Delightful-Jim wrote:Rule #1 of the bloodstock forums : If it exists, someone here will despise it.