movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: movies

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:45 pm

just saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier - brilliant, quite possibly only second to The Avengers in the pantheon of best Marvel movies, wipes the floor with Iron Man 3 and Thor The Dark World. Not so much a superhero movie but more of a spy/espionage action thriller...kinda like Marvel making the best James Bond movie ever 9/10

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:50 am

I also want to give Cap'n 'Murica 2 a big score. Thoroughly enjoyable seeing as all the origin story for Cap had been fleshed out in the first one there was more room for action and espionage. Definitely the best out of phase 2.
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:54 am

Booked in to see Captain America tomorrow.

Was trying to do a double header & watch Zero Theorem as well, but none of my local cinemas are showing it.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:39 pm

Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:25 pm

No...Just...no. That looks fucking awful
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:32 pm

Does anyone else hate superhero films? They're so predictable.
Andrewhall28 wrote:Yep, unlike King, Labrie can actually sing

SpecialForces
Powermetal Child

Postby SpecialForces » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:12 pm

skull-wart wrote:Does anyone else hate superhero films? They're so predictable.

They all seem to of become cheesy popcorn flicks, well, the Marvel films at least.

Anyway, I went to go see Under the Skin today. Great film, very arty in places. Great vibe to it and some cool music as well. Can't wait to get it on DVD :)

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:28 pm

I like the predictability of superhero movies. I enjoy movies with social commentary and points to think about, etc, but I also like to have a chance to just switch my brain off and enjoy the explosions every now and again.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Bizza
Paster of Muppets

Postby Bizza » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:02 am

Finally got around to watching Desolation Of Smaug, . Stephen Fry, Benedict Cumberpatch and nods to the LOTR trilogy aplenty. Superb!
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19, '21, '22, '23.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:15 am

Captain America: The Winter Solider is ace - definitely in the best group of films Marvel has put out.

SpecialForces
Powermetal Child

Postby SpecialForces » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:56 am

Applecore wrote:I like the predictability of superhero movies. I enjoy movies with social commentary and points to think about, etc, but I also like to have a chance to just switch my brain off and enjoy the explosions every now and again.

Agreed :)

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:39 am

Also does anyone else slightly hate the Hobbit films? They'd be great if they weren't shit in comparison to Lord Of The Rings.

Moaning ahead:

I mean God damn the CGI in the Hobbit is so shite! Why didn't they just use real locations and actors, the whole thing is a big green screen and it looks so crap in comparison to the real shots of New Zealand (For which the LotR film won best picture multiple times!?) and the orcs have turned from Green/Blue scrawny and evil looking fella's to shovel faced pale white beef cakes! Smaug looked cool but they really overdid his part in the film and downplayed the dialogue between him and Bilbo by just adding in a big unnecessary chase seen that ended in nothing happening! Also, why is Legolas in the film... WHY!?!?! Apparently they asked Viggo to play aragorn in the film too but he said no because he's only vaguely referenced in another book at the same time period. AND the chase scenes were bent, what was up with the barrel scene on the second film? Barrel's don't do that, and the shot of Bilbur with the two axes fighting off orcs in the barrel is dumb - he's supposed to be a merchant, what type of crazy axe wielding sociopathic merchant is he then? It's even worse because they kept that pile of shit in the final cut, but there's no mention of Bilbur falling into the Mirkwood river and having to be carried all the way to the Misty Mountain. Other stupid and points include but are not limited to:

-Mirkwood scenes lasting all of two minutes
-Spider's speaking in English
-Cheesy one liners from Bilbo as he kills spiders
-Unnecessary love story
-Dwarves being left behind in lake town for convenient plot purpose for the love story
-Legolas looking old, what a crap elf
-Thorin and 11 other dwarved appearing behind Bilbo in the middle of nowhere up a cliff without making any noise at all
-Massive gold cast of a dwarf in the Misty Mountain keep, why is that there. Why would they even make that?
-Cheesy infinite loop effect looking into sauron's eye
-Retarded light vs. dark battle ripped straight for Star Wars IV
-That new Orc that popped up for the entire second film that was never previously mentioned
-The part with Buorn lasting about 5 minutes
-The Orc that get's killed by the elf king eyes are too small, he wouldn't be able to see anything properly
-Radaghast still having shit on his head - wipe it off you prick, you're an ancient wizard haven't you heard of a mirror
-Gandalf walking into a trap when he makes a point of noting that "it most certainly is" (whilst turning to the camera) before being overwhelmed and locked in a cage. How stupid can you get?
-Random reference to Gimli through Gloin
-the dwarves look shit, seriously did Gimli just come from a remarkable human looking family of dwarves? Because every other prick in dwarf land has got massive noses, pot bellies and balding heads.

*Big Exhale*

You know what? Fuck the Hobbit I hate those films now. I listed all that from memory too, that's how many shit parts stuck out to me.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:57 am

I quite liked it, it had its flaws but I wouldn't make a hobbit out of picking at them.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:44 am

Haldamir319 wrote:Captain America: The Winter Solider is ace - definitely in the best group of films Marvel has put out.

^ This.

Really enjoyed that. I wouldn't say it was without flaws, but very well put together with strong performances & a slightly darker edge to it than some of the other Marvel films have had. 9/10.

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:24 am

Applecore wrote:I quite liked it, it had its flaws but I wouldn't make a hobbit out of picking at them.

:lol: I did like it the first time and it'd be okay if it wasn't connected with Lord of the Rings I think. Definitely didn't need 3 films though, I was defending that from the start as well.