movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Turbo
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Turbo » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:57 pm

Thanks to pissing IRC I will watch Eurotrip because it's sodding the best film in the world and anyone who thinks otherwise I will fight.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:00 am

OH MI SCUSI MI SCUSI

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:33 am

I've only seen the German version of Funny Games, and it really stuck with me. I've not seen the remake, but I too have heard it's a shot-for-shot remake with the only difference being the language spoken in the film.
Never before had a film left me feeling so cold at the end, and the only film that's come close to that since has been Eden Lake.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:59 am

Think I watched that a few years back. Has a young Michael Pitt in it and I remember the whole thing being rather bleak. Weren't bad doe.

one rode to asa bay
Denim Demon

Postby one rode to asa bay » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:58 am

Darkweasel wrote:Funny Games

I didn't realise until after watching Funny Games that there was actually a German version which pre-dated this one by ten years, so I fully expect to hear the usual cries of "the original is far better". However, my understanding is that this US remake (directed by the same chap) is a note for note, line for line retelling of the 1997 version so I don't really see how that would be possible. Still, that's a debate for another time.

With regards to there being two near-identical versions, Haneke has said:
Because I have nothing to add. I already did the first film for an American audience, for an audience consuming violence. And it only didn’t reach that audience because it was in German. And so when I got the offer of the remake I said sure. After all, the subject became only more up to date. I mean, the world is only more violent. I wanted to give myself a certain challenge, I wanted to make it a little bit more demanding for myself. And so, I decided to do it shot-by-shot again.

Personally I would say the german-language version is better, though part of that may just be me seeing that version first. That said it definitely does have better casting and overall atmosphere, so there is that. Definitely worth watching at any rate.

Also the music used was a couple of different tracks from Naked City's Grand Guignol album, fwiw. :p
UtopianBlaster7 wrote:theres always so much shite plays these sorts of fest "ribbet ribbet vaginal death ribbet ribbet gore"

Andy Hall wrote:yeah but she likes arseholes, literally

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:05 pm

Guardians Of The Galaxy was brilliant. Funny, engaging & just a great watch. Great soundtrack as well. 9.5/10.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:13 pm

I'll pop off and see that in a day or two.

RIPD

Like someone put Men in Black and Beetlejuice in a blender and extracted all the laughs.
What a waste.
3/10

cthulhu
Consort of the Beast

Postby cthulhu » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:48 pm

Darkweasel wrote:
cthulhu wrote:The best bit about your review is its more or less how you could describe the first one anyway.

See, I actually liked the first one.
The characters were drawn reasonably well, the doctor's motivations clear (albeit obviously skewed), and some of the scenes were quite suspenseful. Even the acting was decent, especially from Dieter Laser.
It got progressively nastier as it went along, but you always maintained your sympathy for the victims and wanted them to escape.

The only character you feel any sort of sympathy for in the second one is the actress from the first film, but even she's played as an idiot so it's difficult even then.

i personally can see some of your points but i still consider the film a vulgar waste of time. I've loved horror films since i was a kid, the gorier the better, i also enjoy that little niche of films that revolves around torture for some reason but the human centipede didn't deliver for me.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:54 am

Darkweasel wrote:RIPD

Like someone put Men in Black and Beetlejuice in a blender and extracted all the laughs.
What a waste.
3/10

I actually really enjoyed RIPD. Completely agree that it's ripping off both Men in Black and Beetlejuice (I'd throw in some Reaper, as well), but I thought it was still a lot of fun. Another "switch your brain off" movie, admittedly, but fun nonetheless.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:13 am

The only good part of that movie is it started a running joke with my mates.

Any time someone gets hit/shot in the arse everyone starts laughing retardedly and yelling "HE GOT SHOT IN THE BUM. DO YOU GET IT. IN THE BUM" because of that chase scene. Where the guy gets shot in the bum. It's funny because he shot him in the bum.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:54 am

Applecore wrote:
Darkweasel wrote:RIPD

What a waste.
3/10

I actually really enjoyed RIPD. Completely agree that it's ripping off both Men in Black and Beetlejuice (I'd throw in some Reaper, as well), but I thought it was still a lot of fun. Another "switch your brain off" movie, admittedly, but fun nonetheless.

The fun part must have been cut for TV.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:18 pm

ish42 wrote:Hercules - Bad in a good way.

Pretty much. It's nothing original, but has some good action sequences & is a decent film to watch with your mates. 6/10

Purge Anarchy - Slickly made B movie, & just as good/nasty as the first one. 7.5/10

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:21 pm

Marvel's Phase 1 & 2 - A Look Back

Fun little recap, now we await for all the Phase 3 conspiracies to flood the interweb :lol:

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:46 am

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:Marvel's Phase 1 & 2 - A Look Back

Fun little recap, now we await for all the Phase 3 conspiracies to flood the interweb :lol:

I'm expecting something Iron Man related to be mentioned as they haven't announced the phase 3 films yet and the IM4 rumours are going mad.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:52 am

I just have a feeling that they'll finish of the Iron Man story within one of the other films now & have him as a bit character in others. When RDJ leaves, people may lose interest.

First sort of things beginning to circulate, all mostly guesswork & as always some fans just having a punt. But some of the ideas, are probably not too far off.

http://www.movienewsguide.com/marvels-p ... aked/25028