movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Soze
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Soze » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:13 pm

AnnihiSlateR wrote:I'm quite enjoying reading you're reviews, a lot better structured and more eloquently put than mine have been recently haha.

Thanks, it's good to hear I'm not just shouting into the wind :lol:

cthulhu wrote:Zomb...eavers? Where you really expecting much going in? :lol: :lol:

Well, no, I did make that point in the review! It has some laughs in fairness but not as many as it would like to think it has.

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Soze wrote:In the Name of the Father *****

I was very nearly in that film. :lol:

They were looking for extras who had longhair for some of the scenes as it was set in the early 1970s. It was for the courtroom scene which was filmed in St Georges Hall in Liverpool. Didn't bother in the end, but you can see one of my mates dead clearly.

Ooh, I'd have to have a go if I were offered a part as an extra. I know someone who did this quite regularly, had his name down for it and got called up quite often (he may still do actually, haven't seen him in a few years). He's on screen being killed by a cyberman in a David Tennant Doctor Who episode and has popped up in a few other UK shows. Fairly decent money for it as well!

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:20 am

Sony and Disney have agreed to share Spiderman which will allow him to appear in Marvel movies. :D
I see the bad moon arising.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:17 pm

The Little Death

I hadn't even heard about this little Australian comedy until a couple of days ago when I noticed what a few people on another forum were saying about it. Or rather what they weren't.
For a comedy about sex, the three things which weren't being mentioned by anyone were sex scenes, boobs and ladybits. People just seemed to be saying it was a good, funny comedy so I thought I'd give it a go, and it turns out they were right.

The Little Death follows a handful of couples and their peculiar sexual preferences. There's the woman who asks her boyfriend to rape her, the man who secretly has an affair with his own wife, a woman who is turned on by the tears of her partner, and a man who takes role playing to its extreme. Throw in a sex offender who keeps trying to introduce himself, and a girl who works on an telephone internet service for the deaf (in the film's undoubted highlight) and you have 90 minutes of constant laughs and some mild drama. It shows sex but it's never vulgar, and at times the stories can actually be quite touching. The acting is excellent from a relatively unknown cast and everything moves nicely along without ever getting confused or repetitive.
"Whatever happened to good old fashioned run-of-the-mill sex?"
8/10

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:50 pm

Jobdone wrote:Cloud Atlas

Admittedly a bit delayed with this one, but finally got around to it.

I get what it wants to do, the story between time yadda yadda. However what you end up with a jumbled mess of characters you can't really connect to, fleeting around timelines and characters without every really letting you settle. Still, beautifully filmed, the makeup thing was ambitious and works in places. It's ultimately a very interesting story, but wasn't suited for a movie.

Will probably read the book.

6/10

I suggest reading the book and then going back to the film. I found it a lot more rewarding doing that way. I found stuff that'd I'd found a bit problematic the first time round suddenly didn't bother me, and a lot of the cuts between time seemed a lot more natural. You can kind of see the theme being explored, and how that theme echoes throughout time. I appreciate it's not a difficult thing, and you probably picked up on it the first time, but certainly seeing it again after the book, I found that it flowed a lot better.

I think I actually prefer the structure in the film too. The sections are too defined in the book for my liking.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:56 pm

Yeah yeah, I definitely get your point. I could get a feel for the themes and that they were trying to lace through everything, but it just didn't go into enough depth for my liking.

And apparently Netflix is getting a 4 hour cut that people will love.

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:04 pm

Blimy. Not sure how I feel about that. It's pretty lengthy as it is. There's not a lot was left out either if memory serves. I'd probably watch out of curiosity, but sometimes with film, less can be more.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

JamieH
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby JamieH » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:36 am

Just watched Birdman. I enjoyed it, but also left slightly confused :lol:

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:45 am

It’s already in English anyway and only a year old. Who cares about all that? Housebound is getting the remake treatment.

The Voices

I have to admit I've never been much of a fan of Ryan Reynolds. His sparkly-eyed and relentlessly charming personality certainly couldn't save cinematic atrocities like Green Lantern and RIPD, although he did help films like Blade Trinity and The Amityville Horror keep their heads just above water for the most part, even if the end results were just two more drowned rats to add to the pile.
Personally, I don't think he's a bad actor. It's just that in my experience he only seems to pick films which suit his range and don't remotely challenge him. A witty comment here, some manly crying there, plus a bit of angry shouting and the obligatory shirt removal scene. So when I found out he was playing a psychotherapy patient who thinks his dog and cat are talking to him, I thought it was something different at least.
However, as much as I like the idea of him as a socially awkward factory employee with mental problems, and at least I can see he was actually trying, it still just didn't work. Not his fault, just an old fashioned case of miscasting.

The Voices does have a lot going for it though. It's occasionally funny, it's very dark, the idea is good, Gemma Arterton and Anna Kendrick are lovely, and the distinction between what Reynolds sees and the actual reality of it is handled very well. But the two main things which need to drive Reynolds's character forward - his pets (both voiced by him) - are awful. The dog, Bosco, is just about the better of the two. A voice of reason telling Reynolds to hand himself in to the police after he has an accident. The dog is played almost completely straight (although his lines are delivered with a dopey sounding southern drawl), and has nothing remotely amusing to say. Meanwhile, the cat - Mr Whiskers - tries to be as funny as possible. He's the evil voice. The one that gives bad advice. But the problem is that he's not funny. At all. Crass, vulgar, and profane? yes. But funny? No.
Your average 14-20 year old will undoubtedly find the crude, sweary insults hilarious, but personally I found them cheap and lazy. And what's worse, every line is delivered with the worst Scottish accent outside of every Mike Myers performance ever. In fact, I'm certain that to prepare for the role, Reynolds must have sat through So I Married an Axe Murderer a frankly dangerous amount of times.
6/10

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:01 am

Darkweasel wrote:
It’s already in English anyway and only a year old. Who cares about all that? Housebound is getting the remake treatment.

god fucking damnit it wasn't even shit tier camera quality or anything.

they can't keep remaking shit nobody wants remade

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:37 am

SlashFilm wrote:The original film didn't get the distribution it deserved, and now New Line is set to produce a Housebound remake.

Or, hmm, I don't know, buy the distribution rights and release the fucking film to a wider audience?
Surely that's a lot cheaper than spunking off money on making a film that doesn't even need to be made..?
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Smerphy
Leather Rebel

Postby Smerphy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:45 am

Shame 7/10
Leaving Las Vegas 8/10
Nebraska 8/10
Wetlands 8/10
Bronson 7/10
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.

That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:04 pm

Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead

"Come on, you fucking zombies!"
Yes, right from the very first line, you are instantly aware that this isn't going to be another one of those "serious" undead movies where the word "zombie" is frowned upon and never used. No, Wyrmwood throws the word around as frequently and casually as you like and doesn't care one bit.
But let's face it, no film which uses zombie breath as car fuel could ever really hope to be taken too seriously.

Using Mad Max 2 as a major influence, the film follows Barry, who until as recently as that morning was a husband and father, as he heads to Bulla Bulla (got to love those Aussie towns) to try and find his sister. Along the way there are special forces teams, loads of zombies, a mad doctor, flammable zombie blood, and even a zombie queen capable of controlling undead corpses. All of this is held together by lashings of gore and a typically brash Aussie sense of humour (the first aid kit gag had me laughing like a twat for ages).

The only problem with including so many things is that nothing really gets explored that well (or in some cases at all) and when the film finishes, you're left saying ". Er.. ok. But what about...?" a lot.
That said, it's still great fun and definitely worth a watch.
Come on, you fucking zombies indeed.
7/10

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:11 pm

Just finished watching Wyrmwood myself.
Pretty much nail on the head, there. Loads of fun, batshit crazy and it at least tries to do something different. One I'll be forcing upon my mates when I get back to England, as I'd imagine it's even more fun with a bunch of stubbies.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:13 pm

Also watched Nightcrawler today and really enjoyed it.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:26 pm

Nightcrawler is fantastic.
Should have been included in the Oscar list. Too dark for them though, I suppose.