movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Big D
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Big D » Sat May 31, 2008 8:02 pm

Dragon Wars.

If you're looking for intellectual depth and masterful story telling then this is not for you. If you just want to switch off your brain for an hour or so and watch stuff blowing up then this is not a bad way of doing it.
There are flaws. Starting a film with ten minutes of info-dump is not recommended, the Korean mythology is not easily digestible , the two leads are bland and if the ending was meant to be moving then they missed and ended up on the borders of "Cheesy".
The film takes a while to get up to speed but then the big ass snake starts trashing LA. And then the Helicopter gunships arrive. And then the dragons turn up. And tanks. And some sort of dinosaur thing with rocket launchers on their backs. And Big D is sitting there grinning as mayhem ensues.
So, the DVD box promised me helicopter gunships versus dragons. I got helicopter gunships versus dragons. I'm happy.

andeh
Denim Demon

Postby andeh » Sat May 31, 2008 8:34 pm

Bought Transformers, Day Watch and the Simpsons movie from HMV the other day, not had time to watch any yet.

Been watching a few films on the old Sky + box, saw The Number 23, quite good, almost forgot I was watching Jim Carrey, since he wasn't pulling faces. Also saw Outlaw with Sean Bean, not bad, pretty stupid, hated that Danny Dyer prick in it though.

Lick Mars
I am the Law!

Postby Lick Mars » Sat May 31, 2008 8:50 pm

watched Star Wars III Revenge of the Sith last night. Considering my only experience of star wars is being dragged out of bed to see the Phantom Menace and not having a clue what was going on and wanting to go back to said bed, I actually liked this one! Even though I kept asking stupid questions and making stupid comments all the way through, but I never follow these kind of films properly..

Charlie_Sangster
Warrior of Metal

Postby Charlie_Sangster » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:04 am

Just finished watching 'The Machinist'.

I've sat here for a moment trying to work out if I liked it or not and I've come to the conclusion that it wasn't that great. It seems to me that it has taken the premise of Donnie Darko, mixed in some Fight Club and then warped it so it isn't as good as either of those films. The main guy looks like a Holocaust victim (it seems he had to lose a LOT of weight for the role) and it just gets disturbing how skinny he is sometimes.
Also, it was kind of predictable in places and the plot, as I said, bore too many resemblances to other films. In a niche that strives towards a uniqueness that makes the film memorable, this one seemed rather bland. The director also has that annoying habit of leeching all of the colour out of the film to make it look more "distressing" or some bollocks.
Anyway.... :coffee:

The Warlord
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby The Warlord » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:53 pm

Watched The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian yesterday on a pirate copy, enjoyed it emensly and would say it's a hell of alot better thean The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. To me though i always liked the Caspian Book and Voyage of the Dawn Treader book more than TL,TW&TW.... and also with the 80's BBC Series So it didn't suprise me that i enjoyed this film better than the previous. Can't wait to see it on the big screen properly with better sound and better imagery.

There are bit's of the film that aren't accurate with the book for example the Caspian and Susan "love" story, and i'm pretty sure theyv'e added another battle scene to drag the film out a bit more (the one at Miraz'es castle), however with the second one of these it works ok. The lovey bit was just not needed at all though it was never there in any previous forms e.g. book, t.v series, but hollywood had to fuck about and put a romance in there.

Anyway go see it.

Got Copys of.......

Iron-Man
Indiana Jones: Crystal Skull

to watch when i get a chance.
Instant Wanker.....Just Add Beer!

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:14 pm

If you only listen to one pieces of advice this year make it this:
Never, ever watch Motorhome Massacre.

The Zone Horror channel has a hell of a lot to answer for.

andeh
Denim Demon

Postby andeh » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:29 pm

Charlie_Sangster wrote:Just finished watching 'The Machinist'.

I've sat here for a moment trying to work out if I liked it or not and I've come to the conclusion that it wasn't that great. It seems to me that it has taken the premise of Donnie Darko, mixed in some Fight Club and then warped it so it isn't as good as either of those films. The main guy looks like a Holocaust victim (it seems he had to lose a LOT of weight for the role) and it just gets disturbing how skinny he is sometimes.
Also, it was kind of predictable in places and the plot, as I said, bore too many resemblances to other films. In a niche that strives towards a uniqueness that makes the film memorable, this one seemed rather bland. The director also has that annoying habit of leeching all of the colour out of the film to make it look more "distressing" or some bollocks.
Anyway.... :coffee:

That was Christian Bale, aka Batman, you see him at the end of the film in a flash back before he lost the weight, but you wouldn't know it was him to look at him. I thought it was a good film, definetly preferred it to Donnie Darko myself, thought that was the most hyped piece of shit I ever saw!

Drugged_unholy
Leather Rebel

Postby Drugged_unholy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:06 pm

Just watched Bully.

Stunningly inept murder, had to laugh.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:11 pm

I watched (and I can't actually believe I'm saying this)... "The Girls Rebel Force of Competitive Swimmers" earlier today.
It's so shit it's brilliant. Low budget splatter with fit japanese schoolgirls getting their kit off, turning into zombies, killing each other with chainsaws and lezzing up at the first given opportunity.
Plot? Sorry, no idea (something about a zombie virus, a swimming pool and a very hands-on "Nikita" style weapons teacher) but with some truly magnificent tits and a death by fanny laser scene at the end who really cares?
Bruddy marverrous.

Blissy
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Blissy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:56 am

the machinist is a fantastic piece of cinema. but not everybody can click with it, its a slow burner and its inescapably dark...so its got a mixed responce all over. i think its utterly fantastic though, and christian bale is probably my favourite actor.

Saw indiana jones last night, it was pretty much all i expected. just a good fun movie.

Zancan
Warrior of Metal

Postby Zancan » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:04 pm

The Notebook. *tear*

andeh
Denim Demon

Postby andeh » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:25 pm

Saw Incredible Hulk last night. It was good, quite serious for a comic book movie, especially after watching Iron Man, but yeah I enjoyed it.

jello
Leather Rebel

Postby jello » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:25 pm

Darkweasel wrote:I watched (and I can't actually believe I'm saying this)... "The Girls Rebel Force of Competitive Swimmers" earlier today.
It's so shit it's brilliant. Low budget splatter with fit japanese schoolgirls getting their kit off, turning into zombies, killing each other with chainsaws and lezzing up at the first given opportunity.
Plot? Sorry, no idea (something about a zombie virus, a swimming pool and a very hands-on "Nikita" style weapons teacher) but with some truly magnificent tits and a death by fanny laser scene at the end who really cares?
Bruddy marverrous.

Like the sound of that so much I just ordered a copy

:) :)

Cernunnos
Lowly Peon

Postby Cernunnos » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:00 pm

Just watched Platoon, I know it's old but it's a truly fantastic film that everyone must watch at some point.

andeh
Denim Demon

Postby andeh » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:33 pm

^That's the best sig I ever did see