movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Rob Bannister
Festival Compere

Re: movies

Postby Rob Bannister » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:39 pm

Watched Slumdog Millionaire on Saturday night. Not the cheeriest of subjects but I thought it was very good indeed and so did the other 'arf!
The mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the earth!

markt91
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby markt91 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:30 pm

Over the last month i bought a few films i've been meaning to watch for bloody ages!...

There Will Be Blood 9/10
The Departed 8/10
Reservoir Dogs 9/10
The Godfather 9/10
The Godfather Part 2 8/10

Pretty damn good entertainment. :lol:

GaspodeTheWonderDog
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby GaspodeTheWonderDog » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:46 pm

Slumdog Millionaire. Highly amusing and quite tense. 9/10

Valkyrie. Gripping, even though you know the outcome. 9/10

Agalloch for the Sophie Lancaster stage

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:56 pm

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON.

My arse is numb. 3 Bloody hours?!
Luckily, it happens to be worth it. A great film that moves along at it's own pace and gets where it wants to very satisfactorily. I can see the parallels being drawn between it and Forrest Gump but it's less tearjerkingly obvious (I actually found myself smiling at the end rather than feeling sad).
If there's any justice, the make-up crew, hairstylists and scenery/artworky type people will clear up at the Oscars but Brad Pitt, as great as he is in it, doesn't stand a chance as best actor - not up against Sean Penn and Frank Langella.
9/10

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:21 am

QUARANTINE
After numerous seriously rubbish attempts at remaking foreign films, the americans have finally managed to get one right. Based on the the Spanish horror REC, this follows the exact same story and does the exact same things - but somehow manages to do it better.
A TV reporter and her cameraman follow a team of firemen around for the night and get called out to an apartment building. Once inside, the building is cordoned off and quarantined to stop some sort of plague getting out. A plague that may or may not be zombie related...
8/10

THE READER
I'm slowly ploughing through the "Best Films" category at The Oscars and this was number 4 from 5.
And possibly the winner.
I knew nothing at all about the film beforehand, and that worked very well, so I won't say anything now because it would ruin one of the big moments in the film. All I will say is it starts off in one direction and ends up in an entirely different one.
Kate Winslet is absolutely brilliant and Best Actress worthy for sure (plus her being naked and getting rodgered for near enough the first half an hour is also a good reason to watch it).
10/10

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:06 pm

I'm going to see the new Underworld film, I know that it's being slated, but so were the other 2, and I loved them aswell :lol:

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:12 pm

ANDREWHALL28 wrote:I'm going to see the new Underworld film, I know that it's being slated, but so were the other 2, and I loved them aswell :lol:

Going as the band because we liked the other two

And certainly did not name our band after it :eyes:

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:22 pm

Moonburp wrote:
ANDREWHALL28 wrote:I'm going to see the new Underworld film, I know that it's being slated, but so were the other 2, and I loved them aswell :lol:

Going as the band because we liked the other two

And certainly did not name our band after it :eyes:

kate Beckinsdale was smoking in the first 2, so even if you did name your band after the movie, she'd be a good excuse, sadly it's a prequel so she's not in this one

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:34 pm

My Bloody Valentine in 3D. I was impressed, I thought it would be rubbish. It's a good film even without the 3D elements. Much better than the original.
I see the bad moon arising.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:58 pm

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
How the hell did this film get nominated for The Oscars? It's not awful or anything but it's so bloody average and underwhelming it beggars belief.
An Indian ghetto kid (or "Slumdog") gets himself on Who Wants to be a Millionaire, answers all his questions correctly, but before he can answer the final one, is taken away to a police station to be charged with fraud.

And so it begins...

POLICE: "How did you know the answer to the first question"?
SLUMDOG: "Er.. tell you what. Why don't I just show you with a flashback sequence which shows me getting the knowledge to answer the question whilst also showing you the horrors of ghetto squalor"?
POLICE: "That's a great idea. Now, how did you answer the second question"?
SLUMDOG: "Can't I just do that again please? In fact, can't I just do that exact same thing over and over again for every single question"?
POLICE: "What a brilliant idea. Nobody could possibly get bored of that after half an hour could they".

The thing is, after showing some pretty damn hard-hitting stuff, the director (Danny Boyle) bottles it by adding some utterly out of place comedy moments which manage to ruin anything that may possibly have had an effect in the first place.
And as for the ending? I don't think I've seen such a vomit-inducing, cliched and sickening Hollywood finale. Not even from the saccharine-lined bowels of Hollywood itself.

Oh, and a note to Danny Boyle: The theme music for the television show does NOT IN ANY WAY work as dramatic music for a film. Not unless you were aiming for barely stifled laughter instead of tension.

5/10

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:09 pm

I have to admit Slumdog millionaire doesn't appeal to me at all, but The Reader looks like it could be a very good film, and the story is intrigueing too

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:51 pm

ANDREWHALL28 wrote:I have to admit Slumdog millionaire doesn't appeal to me at all, but The Reader looks like it could be a very good film, and the story is intrigueing too

The Reader is just class. Seriously, go out of your way to watch it.

dobbsey
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby dobbsey » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:23 pm

Darkweasel wrote:QUARANTINE
After numerous seriously rubbish attempts at remaking foreign films, the americans have finally managed to get one right. Based on the the Spanish horror REC, this follows the exact same story and does the exact same things - but somehow manages to do it better.
A TV reporter and her cameraman follow a team of firemen around for the night and get called out to an apartment building. Once inside, the building is cordoned off and quarantined to stop some sort of plague getting out. A plague that may or may not be zombie related...
8/10

yeah ive just watched this thinking the exact same thing
compared to the spanish its much better but follows the same storyline

9/10

Finnvitka
Denim Demon

Postby Finnvitka » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:25 pm

films what I have watched recently:

St Elmo's Fire - I love this film. It has Emilio Estevez, Judd Nelson and Rob Lowe in it ffs. LOVE.
Zoolander - possibly one of the funniest films of all time
Hellboy - very much enjoyed it
Hellboy II - very much enjoyed that as well
Top Gun - awesome film
tumblr|facebook
[Josh] i fucking love bottom ;_;

ImageImageImage

lars_ulrichs_blister
Denim Demon

Postby lars_ulrichs_blister » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:49 am

Was considering having a look at the wrestler, has anyone seen it?? opinions??
If God is black then he is Samuel L Jackson