movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Applecore
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Applecore » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:02 pm

Darkweasel wrote:
Applecore wrote:Plus, I find the Platinum Dunes remakes to be quite watchable, especially The Hitcher.

The Hitcher? Seriously? I gave up on it an hour in. Absolute rubbish. If Rutger Hauer was dead he'd be spinning in his grave.
It would easily be up there in my top 10 worst ever remakes if I bothered to do a list.

I liked it! But then, it probably helped that I saw it before the original (which I'll agree is a lot better - Rutger Hauer is amazing in it). That and I like the main guy in the remake that isn't Sean Bean. I just don't like him enough to remember his name.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:05 pm

I watched The Fly last night. Jeff Goldblum is awesome.

Podgie.
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Podgie. » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:06 pm

I think I'm going to have to disagree regarding A Nightmare on Elm Street. While I'm a big fan of the originals (and horror films in general) and I'll undoubtedly go to see this at the cinema, I'm not a huge fan of Michael Bay's work. I find his (well, New Line Cinema's) persistent remakes rather uninspiring. I'm a huge Friday 13th fan, and the recent remake of that was TERRIBLE. So unimaginative with the killings, which is what Friday 13th is all about. And correct me if I'm wrong, A Nightmare on Elm Street is all about Freddy's character, the character Wes Craven created as a tounge in cheek killer. By the looks of things Freddy's not that same character anymore, he's a more sinister incarnation... Don't get me wrong A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) LOOKS great (just like all the other remakes have) but why remake it in the first place? Sure it'll be watchable, but it's not going to be better than the original... which I consider to be absolutely flawless.

Which classic horror movie will New Line Cinema decide to remake next?! Well, whichever one it is I think they may as well come out and say "look, our writers are unable to come up with original horror stories any more, so we're just going to remake every other good horror series from the past" - i think it's sad, really.

Rant over haha

Flaming_Chaos
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Flaming_Chaos » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:11 pm

Ensorcelled wrote:I watched The Fly last night. Jeff Goldblum is awesome.

i love that film
Check out my solo music page: http://www.myspace.com/preachersofodiummusic
AGALLOCH FOR BOA '11!
NOVEMBRE FOR BOA '11!
KATATONIA FOR BOA '11!
SOILWORK FOR BOA '11!

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Anyone watch American Pie: Band Camp on ITV2 last night? Fucking hell that was crap.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:54 pm

Applecore wrote:
Darkweasel wrote:
Luke_X wrote:ive just watched a couple of trailers and here are my thoughts.

Nightmare On Elm Street - just watched the second trailer. it shows a lot more than the first did and id be quite happy to spend my money for the DVD. but my main gripe seems to be there are no more puns with Freddy and the famous 'coming out of the wall' effect from the first has been turned into a CGI mess from the look of it in the trailer.

I'm not holding out much hope for ANOES to be honest but I did like one line in the second trailer: "Why you screamin' for? I haven't even cut you yet".
Nice.

I have a lot of faith in this remake. It looks like we'll have a dark, evil as fuck Freddy (which we've not seen since the original). Plus, I find the Platinum Dunes remakes to be quite watchable, especially The Hitcher.
I'm quite pleased to see the comedy Freddy gone tbh. While the original films were a lot of fun, they went further and further downhill while they made Freddy crack more jokes. Seems logical to hit the reset button.

ive got no problem with a dark Freddy as you pointed out he was quite dark in the first film. i think it was the way Robert Englund played the character more than anything. you can tell some of his lines werent meant to be funny but it was the way he made Freddy so serious, dark and sadistic that the lines were more like puns. like when he use to try and degrade his victims by talking about their problems, it came across funny. maybe those sort of lines will appear again as they still havent shown a single scene with Freddy talking much.

Podgie. wrote:I think I'm going to have to disagree regarding A Nightmare on Elm Street. While I'm a big fan of the originals (and horror films in general) and I'll undoubtedly go to see this at the cinema, I'm not a huge fan of Michael Bay's work. I find his (well, New Line Cinema's) persistent remakes rather uninspiring. I'm a huge Friday 13th fan, and the recent remake of that was TERRIBLE. So unimaginative with the killings, which is what Friday 13th is all about. And correct me if I'm wrong, A Nightmare on Elm Street is all about Freddy's character, the character Wes Craven created as a tounge in cheek killer. By the looks of things Freddy's not that same character anymore, he's a more sinister incarnation... Don't get me wrong A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) LOOKS great (just like all the other remakes have) but why remake it in the first place? Sure it'll be watchable, but it's not going to be better than the original... which I consider to be absolutely flawless.

Which classic horror movie will New Line Cinema decide to remake next?! Well, whichever one it is I think they may as well come out and say "look, our writers are unable to come up with original horror stories any more, so we're just going to remake every other good horror series from the past" - i think it's sad, really.

Rant over haha

i actually bothered to make time to watch the Friday 13th remake. there were some bits they got right and others which were stupid. i liked the fact they made a nod to the first film with Jason's mum and that she was only in it for the first scene. i didnt like that almost all the characters in this had no relation to the original characters, but then not many characters made re-appearences in the F13 films. although i like the fact that at the end, Jason is tied in chains (after having his brains sucked through a woodchipper) is dropped in the water and his mask i thrown miles away from him but it only takes 5 seconds to grab the female lead. while i admire the enthusiasm i hope they dont go down the supernatural root again because that made no sense at all. i like the fact he is just some psycho with a blade.

Ndnd
Denim Demon

Postby Ndnd » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:04 pm

I watched Up today.

Was a lovely film and looked great and made me cry like a girl.

I really enjoyed it.
Mau Mau
Noodle wrote:Darkweasel, Kim or sig in 3.... 2...

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:07 pm

God, with all these horror remakes going on, I really really hope they don't follow up on that idea/project to remake The Thing...

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:08 pm

Johnny Tightlips wrote:God, with all these horror remakes going on, I really really hope they don't follow up on that idea/project to remake The Thing...

I dont know... Cant be worse than the original
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:09 pm

AnnihiSlateR wrote:
Johnny Tightlips wrote:God, with all these horror remakes going on, I really really hope they don't follow up on that idea/project to remake The Thing...

You've just insulted my all time favourite film Neil :lol:

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:15 pm

AnnihiSlateR wrote:

the original is brilliant. in terms of horror thrillers that film was miles ahead.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:17 pm

I take it that you guys mean the John Carpenter version when you say "original"?
And Neil, I hope you mean the ACTUAL original, from the '50s.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:18 pm

No, I meant the John Carpenter version.

I think ive had more enjoyable surgery than that film
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:19 pm

Applecore wrote:I take it that you guys mean the John Carpenter version when you say "original"?

The John Carpenter is the original and only version if you ask me, The Thing From Another World differs a lot in plot, way too much to make it "remake", especially considering The Thing was based a lot more on Who Goes There?

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:24 pm

Johnny Tightlips wrote:
Applecore wrote:I take it that you guys mean the John Carpenter version when you say "original"?

The John Carpenter is the original and only version if you ask me, The Thing From Another World differs a lot in plot, way too much to make it "remake", especially considering The Thing was based a lot more on Who Goes There?

To be fair, I've not seen The Thing From Another World or Who Goes There? so the John Carpenter version is essentially the original. I only bring it up because I keep seeing The Thing From Another World in a 2-pack with Carpenter's film. (Also, the kids are watching TTFAW on TV in Halloween)

That, and I didn't want to accept someone not liking The Thing; which is clearly one of the best films ever that I keep forgetting about when I make lists of awesome films.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock