movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:28 pm

Applecore wrote:
Johnny Tightlips wrote:
Applecore wrote:I take it that you guys mean the John Carpenter version when you say "original"?
And Neil, I hope you mean the ACTUAL original, from the '50s.

The John Carpenter is the original and only version if you ask me, The Thing From Another World differs a lot in plot, way too much to make it "remake", especially considering The Thing was based a lot more on Who Goes There?

To be fair, I've not seen The Thing From Another World or Who Goes There? so the John Carpenter version is essentially the original. I only bring it up because I keep seeing The Thing From Another World in a 2-pack with Carpenter's film. (Also, the kids are watching TTFAW on TV in Halloween)

That, and I didn't want to accept someone not liking The Thing; which is clearly one of the best films ever that I keep forgetting about when I make lists of awesome films.

Who Goes There? is the novella that both films were both loosely based on, but The Thing follows the plot a lot more closely than TTFAW. Its still a good film, but really quite different from The Thing.

And yes, The Thing is awesome!

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:54 pm

Johnny Tightlips wrote:And yes, The Thing is awesome!

see now you have said that, Hollywood is phoning up John Crapenter right now to see if they can rape the shit out of it so that its worse than a film with Lyndsy Lohan in and you know what, now ive said that Lindsy Lohan is gonna play The Thing

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:55 pm

Luke_X wrote:

see now you have said that, Hollywood is phoning up John Crapenter right now to see if they can rape the shit out of it so that its worse than a film with Lyndsy Lohan in and you know what, now ive said that Lindsy Lohan is gonna play The Thing

Me and my big mouth! :(

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:58 pm

Johnny Tightlips wrote:
Luke_X wrote:

Me and my big mouth! :(

to be fair tho, they wouldnt need her to do much acting. they could just follow her on her nights out with a camera and use that as footage.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:10 am

Luke_X wrote:John Crapenter

Who? :lol:

The Thing was shat on from all directions when it originally came out. Fans and critics hated it but strangely gained a huge fanbase, becoming one of the first films to acquire a truly dedicated fan following through video.
The Thing is total quality and I fear for the sequel/remake. Although, from what I understand, it's actually going to be a prequel, set in the Norwegian base before Kurt shows up in his helicopter.

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:14 am

Darkweasel wrote:The Thing is total quality and I fear for the sequel/remake. Although, from what I understand, it's actually going to be a prequel, set in the Norwegian base before Kurt shows up in his helicopter.

Hmmm interesting. I remember reading in an interview with John Carpenter that he considered The Thing From Another World to essentially be what happened in the Norwegian base in his movie, so I wonder if that will have any effect on a remake, i.e. would it be based more on TTFAW?

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am

Johnny Tightlips wrote:
Darkweasel wrote:The Thing is total quality and I fear for the sequel/remake. Although, from what I understand, it's actually going to be a prequel, set in the Norwegian base before Kurt shows up in his helicopter.

Hmmm interesting. I remember reading in an interview with John Carpenter that he considered The Thing From Another World to essentially be what happened in the Norwegian base in his movie, so I wonder if that will have any effect on a remake, i.e. would it be based more on TTFAW?

I wondered that myself, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they come up with.
I do hope the makers continue the use of proper prosthetic and animatronic effects, maybe enhanced slightly with some finishing CGI rather than have an entirely computer generated creature. One of the things that makes The Thing what it is is that it looks so organic. Computer technology can only replicate so much.

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:31 am

Darkweasel wrote:
Johnny Tightlips wrote:

I wondered that myself, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they come up with.
I do hope the makers continue the use of proper prosthetic and animatronic effects, maybe enhanced slightly with some finishing CGI rather than have an entirely computer generated creature. One of the things that makes The Thing what it is is that it looks so organic. Computer technology can only replicate so much.

The effects in The Thing are more "special" than ANY CGI I have ever seen. Basically, they need to take a page out of Len Wiseman's book when he directed Die Hard 4 - using CGI to enhance certain parts and for the really impossible stunts, but don't go near it for anything else.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:46 am

Johnny Tightlips wrote:The effects in The Thing are more "special" than ANY CGI I have ever seen. Basically, they need to take a page out of Len Wiseman's book when he directed Die Hard 4 - using CGI to enhance certain parts and for the really impossible stunts, but don't go near it for anything else.

Exactly. the last thing I want to see is a gory version of Avatar.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:48 pm

Just learned that Nightmare on Elm Street is getting a remake. Michael Bay is producing and Samuel Bayer is directing.

Lol this is going to fail....

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:29 pm

VizardAmata wrote:Just learned that Nightmare on Elm Street is getting a remake. Michael Bay is producing and Samuel Bayer is directing.

You've literally JUST found out?
Go back a page or two for the discussion.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:04 pm

Applecore wrote:
VizardAmata wrote:Just learned that Nightmare on Elm Street is getting a remake. Michael Bay is producing and Samuel Bayer is directing.

what applecore said.

one remake i am worried about is Hellraiser. considering the recent Book of Blood films, Hellraiser will eventually be the next one on the list. i know Clive Barker has said he doesnt want a part of it and Doug Bradley has been told to jog on. im worried it will just be an aweful remake as i love the Hellraiser films

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:06 pm

Luke_X wrote:
Applecore wrote:

what applecore said.

one remake i am worried about is Hellraiser. considering the recent Book of Blood films, Hellraiser will eventually be the next one on the list. i know Clive Barker has said he doesnt want a part of it and Doug Bradley has been told to jog on. im worried it will just be an aweful remake as i love the Hellraiser films

Hands down, the best horror franchise ever for me, Pinhead is the greatest horror villan. I really really hope they don't remake it.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:07 pm

Luke_X wrote:one remake i am worried about is Hellraiser. considering the recent Book of Blood films, Hellraiser will eventually be the next one on the list. i know Clive Barker has said he doesnt want a part of it and Doug Bradley has been told to jog on. im worried it will just be an aweful remake as i love the Hellraiser films

Been meaning to see Book of Blood. I have it on my Lovefilm list..

Anyway, even if the Hellraiser remake is awful, that doesn't mean the originals are going to be any worse off. If anything, people will be interested to see where it all began and look up the Doug Bradley films (especially with the inevitable special editions that'll come about).

I'm just curious as to what's going to be remade next. Piranha is on its way (and apparently there's a Nightmare on Elm Street remake coming soon ;) ) There's also plans for a Child's Play remake, and I think I heard something about Phantasm..?
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:10 pm

Applecore wrote:
Luke_X wrote:one remake i am worried about is Hellraiser. considering the recent Book of Blood films, Hellraiser will eventually be the next one on the list. i know Clive Barker has said he doesnt want a part of it and Doug Bradley has been told to jog on. im worried it will just be an aweful remake as i love the Hellraiser films

Been meaning to see Book of Blood. I have it on my Lovefilm list..

Anyway, even if the Hellraiser remake is awful, that doesn't mean the originals are going to be any worse off. If anything, people will be interested to see where it all began and look up the Doug Bradley films (especially with the inevitable special editions that'll come about).

I'm just curious as to what's going to be remade next. Piranha is on its way (and apparently there's a Nightmare on Elm Street remake coming soon ;) ) There's also plans for a Child's Play remake, and I think I heard something about Phantasm..?

I'm more against remakes because of the sheer lack of originality and laziness in cinema these days.