movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Applecore
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Applecore » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:13 pm

Johnny Tightlips wrote:
Applecore wrote:
Luke_X wrote:one remake i am worried about is Hellraiser. considering the recent Book of Blood films, Hellraiser will eventually be the next one on the list. i know Clive Barker has said he doesnt want a part of it and Doug Bradley has been told to jog on. im worried it will just be an aweful remake as i love the Hellraiser films

Been meaning to see Book of Blood. I have it on my Lovefilm list..

Anyway, even if the Hellraiser remake is awful, that doesn't mean the originals are going to be any worse off. If anything, people will be interested to see where it all began and look up the Doug Bradley films (especially with the inevitable special editions that'll come about).

I'm just curious as to what's going to be remade next. Piranha is on its way (and apparently there's a Nightmare on Elm Street remake coming soon ;) ) There's also plans for a Child's Play remake, and I think I heard something about Phantasm..?

I'm more against remakes because of the sheer lack of originality and laziness in cinema these days.

Oh no I totally agree. I think it's a straight 2-fingers to all the aspiring screenwriters out there, as well as suggesting that America just can't be fucked with reading subtitles or watching anything that's over 20 years old. In fact, the only thing I like about remakes is that it's another director's vision of an already well-established story. That, and in some cases, it's a chance for a new director to get noticed (Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead, for example).
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:35 pm

Applecore wrote:
Johnny Tightlips wrote:I'm more against remakes because of the sheer lack of originality and laziness in cinema these days.

Oh no I totally agree. I think it's a straight 2-fingers to all the aspiring screenwriters out there, as well as suggesting that America just can't be fucked with reading subtitles or watching anything that's over 20 years old. In fact, the only thing I like about remakes is that it's another director's vision of an already well-established story. That, and in some cases, it's a chance for a new director to get noticed (Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead, for example).

im not keen on remakes either. they dont ruin the original but they tend to fuck up the original story line especially if it was a big film or a huge fan film. i liked the remake of Dawn of The Dead (yet to see the Day of the Dead remake) as it was pretty fresh and kept me interested longer than the original (which is the only thing i didnt like about the original) however i didnt quite understand why there was a zombie baby in it.

as for Phantasm, this was the last thing Don Conscarelli said back in October:

It’s been 30 years since Phantasm first hit theater screens and introduced the Tall Man to the movie-going public in 1979. The classic film tells the tale of a young boy and his friends who must fight the evil, grave-robbing Tall Man, a mysterious foe armed to the teeth with terrifying weaponry. Writer/Director Don Coscarelli and stars Angus Scrimm and Reggie Bannister recently sat down with the LA Times to discuss the film, and as usual, the discussion turned to the status of a remake or sequel. Coscarelli had some interesting things to say:

On the subject of a remake, Coscarelli says, “I get a phone call every week, it seems, from somebody who wants to do it. It’s something I’ve been resisting for a while. I do think that, given the proper context, it would really be exciting to see what a younger filmmaker could bring to that story. It’s something I’m open to but I guess I’m seeking the right circumstances. Takashi Miike doing Phantasm, how would that be? Anything that would ever be done would have to be done with sensitivity to the appreciation that the fans have for it. They just worship Angus as the Tall Man and Reggie as the loyal trusted friend.”

Hmm. Takashi Miike? He does have the surreal sensibilities, and his filmmaking truly is visionary and visually engaging. Miike working outside of the Asian element would be interesting, at the very least. Coscarelli isn’t confirming anyone, but throwing Miike’s name out there does raise eyebrows.

When asked about doing a sequel himself, Coscarelli says, “It’s something we’ve talked about through the years but the timing hasn’t worked out or getting the finances exactly right. I’ve been cooking up a couple of incarnations of things that I can’t talk about now but hopefully in the near future we could get something in the Phantasm world happening.”

On the topic of portraying the Tall Man again, Angus Scrimm adds, “I’d jump at it. I’m a little protective of the Tall Man.”

So there you have it. We’ve been hearing comments like these for years, but Coscarelli still remains optimistic that something new from the realm of Phantasm will eventually come out.

while i would love for a 5th film to explain what happened to the main character and tie it all up, i dont think it will happen. plus can you imagine anyone replacing Angus Scrimm as the Tall Man?

gumpy87
Denim Demon

Postby gumpy87 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:44 pm

the world doesnt need a Piranha remake
By this axe I rule

Flaming_Chaos
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Flaming_Chaos » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:45 pm

because last nights movie was interupted by an incredible hockey game, transformers is being watched now instead :)
Check out my solo music page: http://www.myspace.com/preachersofodiummusic
AGALLOCH FOR BOA '11!
NOVEMBRE FOR BOA '11!
KATATONIA FOR BOA '11!
SOILWORK FOR BOA '11!

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:48 pm

gumpy87 wrote:the world doesnt need another Piranha remake

FYP.

Anyway, the trailer for Piranha 3D looks pretty awesome.
Plus, it has Christopher Lloyd in it.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

gumpy87
Denim Demon

Postby gumpy87 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:52 pm

Applecore wrote:

FYP.

when did Piranha get remade, i havnt seen it for years and i only have the sequal
By this axe I rule

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:54 pm

gumpy87 wrote:
Applecore wrote:

FYP.

when did Piranha get remade, i havnt seen it for years and i only have the sequal

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114137/
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

gumpy87
Denim Demon

Postby gumpy87 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:02 pm

you learn something new every day
By this axe I rule

Smee
Leather Rebel

Postby Smee » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:21 pm

One of my housemates got the Hurt Locker so going to watch that later, yaaay! :)
"Women have feelings. Without them, rape would be useless."

http://www.facebook.com/smeez0rz
http://www.last.fm/user/Smeez0rz

Flaming_Chaos
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Flaming_Chaos » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:23 pm

Smee wrote:One of my housemates got the Hurt Locker so going to watch that later, yaaay! :)

i really wanna see that!
Check out my solo music page: http://www.myspace.com/preachersofodiummusic
AGALLOCH FOR BOA '11!
NOVEMBRE FOR BOA '11!
KATATONIA FOR BOA '11!
SOILWORK FOR BOA '11!

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:38 pm

Applecore wrote:

FYP.

I love Piranha. I saw it when it came out on video back in 1980 (I was eight) and it's been one of my favourite films since then.
The William Katt remake was total and utter crap. Made for TV, politically correct garbage that had none of subtlety or humour of Dante's original.
I'm really looking forward to the new one though. Christopher Lloyd, Richard Dreyfuss, Ving Rhames, Elizabeth Shue, Eli Roth, Jerry O'Connell, Dina Meyer and Kelly Brook. Awesome.

some_thing_wild
Paster of Muppets

Postby some_thing_wild » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:56 pm

Just watched Malice in Wonderland
Clever adaptation set in London amidst drugs and gangsters and whatnot.
Liked how they made all the old characters different yet still fairly recognisable
Worth a watch

And last night watched 44 Inch Chest
John Hurt shouting 'You Cunt' ever 10 seconds is either really annoying or fucking hilarious
Wasnt really a point to it though...was waiting for something to happen and it ended
worth watching if not just for the laughs tho

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:11 pm

Applecore wrote:
VizardAmata wrote:Just learned that Nightmare on Elm Street is getting a remake. Michael Bay is producing and Samuel Bayer is directing.

Lol this is going to fail....

You've literally JUST found out?
Go back a page or two for the discussion.

Yup, I have. I always seem to be out of the loop when it comes to new films or whatever, which is probably down to the fact that I hardly ever watch TV. I don't really have a reliable site or source which updates me on these things. *shrugs*

I'm really into films, but I just watch things as I hear of them if I like the sound of them.

Cookie_
Denim Demon

Postby Cookie_ » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:13 pm

Today I got:

Aladdin for 75p
The Little Mermaid for 75p
102 Dalmations and Lady & the Tramp for 49p
Jungle Book and The Aristocats for 49p

<3 Charity shops for Disney videos!
ImageImageImage

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:33 pm

VizardAmata wrote:
Applecore wrote:
VizardAmata wrote:Just learned that Nightmare on Elm Street is getting a remake. Michael Bay is producing and Samuel Bayer is directing.

Lol this is going to fail....

You've literally JUST found out?
Go back a page or two for the discussion.

Yup, I have. I always seem to be out of the loop when it comes to new films or whatever, which is probably down to the fact that I hardly ever watch TV. I don't really have a reliable site or source which updates me on these things. *shrugs*

I'm really into films, but I just watch things as I hear of them if I like the sound of them.

I ignore most stuff the TV tells me about films, as I find they miss a lot out and/or only focus on what hot actor/actress is starring. Instead, I read about them in Empire or on various websites, using IMDB as a base point for searches.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock