movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Kami
Leather Rebel

Re: movies

Postby Kami » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:07 am

Watched Alice In Wonderland last night and was kinda disappointed with it, when I first heard Burton was adapting it I got excited, then I saw the trailer and was initially disappointed but then accepted the style but after seeing it last night I just didn't enjoy it that much.

I think this reviewer probably sums up my opinion of it:

For all its clever design, beguiling creatures and witty actors, the picture feels far more conventional than it should; it's a Disney film illustrated by Burton, rather than a Burton film that happens to be released by Disney.

Looking forward to the film version of American McGee's Alice much more now.
I'm running 1000km (6 Marathons, 26 Half Marathons & 20 10ks) this year so sponsor me ya bastards!

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:32 am

Kami wrote:
I think this reviewer probably sums up my opinion of it:

For all its clever design, beguiling creatures and witty actors, the picture feels far more conventional than it should; it's a Disney film illustrated by Burton, rather than a Burton film that happens to be released by Disney.

Just got back from seeing it, and this matches what I thought about it. It was OK, but a bit flat. I got berated by a friend 'cos I had no idea beforehand what the actual story was - I knew the falling down the hole, the eat me/drink me bit, and knew the characters, but has never known how the rest of it went.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Kami
Leather Rebel

Postby Kami » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:15 am

:lol:

I very nearly face palmed at the dance at the end.
I'm running 1000km (6 Marathons, 26 Half Marathons & 20 10ks) this year so sponsor me ya bastards!

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:56 am

if anyone see the new matt damon movie Green Street, can they let me know what it's like, it is getting really good reviews, and i want to see it when I get home in amonth or so

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:04 am

ANDREWHALL28 wrote:if anyone see the new matt damon movie Green Street, can they let me know what it's like, it is getting really good reviews, and i want to see it when I get home in amonth or so

You mean Green Zone? :P
Green Street (and it's sequel) was balls and had no Maaahtt Daymuhhn
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:19 am

THE HORSEMAN

Well, after weeks of misleading Dennis Quaidery (He was also in a film called The Horseman, which I unfortunately kept downloading) I finally found the proper one last night. And truth be told it really wasn't worth the wait.
To call it minimalist would be an understatement. A truly one dimensional film with a plot you could write on half a postage stamp (Father takes revenge on people responsible for his daughter's death) and no other discernable qualities.
Sure, it was violent and bloody but after a while there are only so many crowbars to the head you can take without it all becoming a bit repetitive.
By the time the last ten minutes arrived, it took all my strength to maintain a straight face as it bore more than a passing resemblance to this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da3Xun-yGCQ
On the plus side it was acted decently enough and it was paced pretty well but it was all far too predictable and had no surprises in it all.
5/10

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:26 am

Kami wrote:

Haven't seen the new one, but my mate told me about the game of this yesterday because he said he'd lend it to me.

Sounds amazing to be fair.

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:56 am

Jobdone wrote:
Kami wrote:

Haven't seen the new one, but my mate told me about the game of this yesterday because he said he'd lend it to me.

Sounds amazing to be fair.

Back in the day, the game was a very twisted and surreal experience. However, having come back to it again recently, I've found it has not aged well...

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:00 pm

Applecore wrote:
ANDREWHALL28 wrote:if anyone see the new matt damon movie Green Street, can they let me know what it's like, it is getting really good reviews, and i want to see it when I get home in amonth or so

You mean Green Zone? :P
Green Street (and it's sequel) was balls and had no Maaahtt Daymuhhn

I thought the first Green Street was actually pretty good, quite cliched, but still enjoyable.

Green Zone is a great movie too. Obviously a lot more of a blockbuster, and less gritty than the Hurt Locker. Greengrass keeps a steady momentum throughout, and Damon is unavoidably Bourne like. The plot is obvious, and it's all been done before, but the style and pace makes the movie a fantastic watch.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:08 pm

until they get Bourne 4 sorted out im quite happy with Green Zone taking its place for now.

today i watched The Surrogates and i was actualyl surprised it was a much ebtter film then i was expecting. the CGI and stunt sequeces were well shot and kept me entertained.some of the acting could be either ott or underwhelming but Bruce put on a good performance. id give it a good 4 out of 5 as a popcorn flick and a much better improvment on I, Robot.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:07 am

Revisited two trusty old horror classics this week.
Alligator and The Howling. :D

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:10 am

Luke_X wrote:until they get Bourne 4 sorted out im quite happy with Green Zone taking its place for now.

today i watched The Surrogates and i was actualyl surprised it was a much ebtter film then i was expecting. the CGI and stunt sequeces were well shot and kept me entertained.some of the acting could be either ott or underwhelming but Bruce put on a good performance. id give it a good 4 out of 5 as a popcorn flick and a much better improvment on I, Robot.

Cool Green Street will be on my cinema watch list when I get home then, hopefully it will still be playing though :(

Surrogates I saw in the cinema, I loved the idea behind it, but thought it could have been a bit edgier, and darker in tone , good for a watch , but not a film I would give another go tbh

I watched The Crow today, man I love that film , so much so I bought all 4 movies for less than a tenner today through Playtrader :yes:

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:16 am

ANDREWHALL28 wrote:I watched The Crow today, man I love that film , so much so I bought all 4 movies for less than a tenner today through Playtrader :yes:

Send Wicked Prayer back.
you'll have even more value for money that way.

Podgie.
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Podgie. » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:18 am

I watched Shutter Island the other night at a mates, was really good.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:30 am

ANDREWHALL28 wrote:
Luke_X wrote:until they get Bourne 4 sorted out im quite happy with Green Zone taking its place for now.

Cool Green Street will be on my cinema watch list when I get home then, hopefully it will still be playing though :(

ZONE! GREEN ZONE!

Anyway, in the past 2 days I've watched Zombieland twice. This makes me happy.
Also got Bride of Re-Animator and Ong Bak 2 on their way to me from Lovefilm :)
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock