movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
clare-l
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby clare-l » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:23 pm

Applecore wrote:
some_thing_wild wrote:when I do badmouth it, i know what im talking about

Exactly my reasoning for watching the first (and why I'll watch New Moon, too).

The way I'm looking at it, if I slag it off without watching it, I'm no better than Mary Whitehouse - who campaigned against the Video Nasties in the '80s on the basis of what she'd heard about them.

You could just save yourself and read Mark Reads Twilight. It even gives you the myriad of reasons as to what's wrong with them ;)

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:39 pm

Applecore wrote:
Luke_X wrote:i gotta agree with the others. the PoP film looks pretty god aweful. not to mention the fact that the guy playing the lead looks awful. dressed like the second game, weapons from the third and the story from the first. looks like its gonna be a right hash up especially as the film studio wants it to replace Pirates of The Carribean which will mean crappy sequels.

im quite happy waiting for Bioshock, Hitman prequel (which will annoy everyone who knows nothing about the game and watched the first film, which fucked up the myhtology anyway) and the incredibly long delayed Splinter Cell film.

computer games should really be left alone by film studios. mind you that might mean we would get even more remakes :S

Computer game movies are generally fine. Tacky fun if nothing else. It's when Uwe Boll gets involved that things to go shit..

god dont get me started on Uwe Boll. worst director ever. sad thing is its all a scam as the films are made in germany and if the film makes less then its expected then the investors get their money back. total con as they are made to be shit.

ruined Alone in The Dark, Bloodrayne, Far Cry, House of The Dead, Dungeon Siege, Postal, Zombie Massacre and not to mention the upcoming ones he plans on ruining.

gumpy87
Denim Demon

Postby gumpy87 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:41 pm

Applecore wrote:
Luke_X wrote:i gotta agree with the others. the PoP film looks pretty god aweful. not to mention the fact that the guy playing the lead looks awful. dressed like the second game, weapons from the third and the story from the first. looks like its gonna be a right hash up especially as the film studio wants it to replace Pirates of The Carribean which will mean crappy sequels.

im quite happy waiting for Bioshock, Hitman prequel (which will annoy everyone who knows nothing about the game and watched the first film, which fucked up the myhtology anyway) and the incredibly long delayed Splinter Cell film.

computer games should really be left alone by film studios. mind you that might mean we would get even more remakes :S

Computer game movies are generally fine. Tacky fun if nothing else. It's when Uwe Boll gets involved that things to go shit..

Computer game movies are usually terrible, but then again i am probably a bit biased as i only seem to watch adaptations on games i like. One the plus side they are not as bad as remakes of Japanese films
By this axe I rule

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:25 am

gumpy87 wrote:
Applecore wrote:

Computer game movies are usually terrible, but then again i am probably a bit biased as i only seem to watch adaptations on games i like. One the plus side they are not as bad as remakes of Japanese films

They're never groundbreaking material, but often a lot of fun - look at the Mortal Kombat films, Street Fighter (yes, the JCVD one) and Super Mario Bros. But this was all the '90s. Since then they generally try to be moodier and cooler than they actually are..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:10 am

I need to watch Mean Girls again soon. I was going to, then decided to watch District 9 again.

gregors666
Warrior of Metal

Postby gregors666 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:17 am

Sorry if this has already been talked about, but i hadnt the time to skim the whole 240+ pages.
Are there any 80's-early 90's horror fans out there? Stupid question I know.
I ask because ive just discovered a film called Once Bitten. Its got a young Jim Carrey in it and its great. Anyone who likes that sort of funny horror that only mid 80's film makers could do will love it.
Im Martin from Grange Over Sands.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:35 am

gregors666 wrote:Sorry if this has already been talked about, but i hadnt the time to skim the whole 240+ pages.
Are there any 80's-early 90's horror fans out there? Stupid question I know.
I ask because ive just discovered a film called Once Bitten. Its got a young Jim Carrey in it and its great. Anyone who likes that sort of funny horror that only mid 80's film makers could do will love it.

You're in the right place. I love 80s horror :D
I'll look into Once Bitten, Jim Carrey is always good fun!
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:44 am

gregors666 wrote:Sorry if this has already been talked about, but i hadnt the time to skim the whole 240+ pages.
Are there any 80's-early 90's horror fans out there?

Indeed there are. :D
If it was banned in the 80s, I've either got it, seen it or blamed it for turning me into the mentalist I am today.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:49 am

Lovefilm rentals:
Rottweiler - Brian Yuzna (Return of the Living Dead 3, Bride of/Beyond Re-Animator, The Dentist, Society)'s film about a dog so badly abused that it has to undergo surgery which replaces most of its body with metal. Then robodog goes on a killing spree, or something?

Collateral - Tom Cruise, hitman, Jamie Foxx, I don't know, I've not watched it yet.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

gumpy87
Denim Demon

Postby gumpy87 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:54 am

Applecore wrote:
gumpy87 wrote:Computer game movies are usually terrible, but then again i am probably a bit biased as i only seem to watch adaptations on games i like. One the plus side they are not as bad as remakes of Japanese films

They're never groundbreaking material, but often a lot of fun - look at the Mortal Kombat films, Street Fighter (yes, the JCVD one) and Super Mario Bros. But this was all the '90s. Since then they generally try to be moodier and cooler than they actually are..

i cant separate the movie from the game so instead of gleaming some enjoyment from the film all i see is them trying to ruin games i like, that aside here is nothing enjoyable about the mario film and that is so different i dont count it as an adaptation
By this axe I rule

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:10 pm

While waiting at Stockholm Skavsta Airport for my flight home, there was this flatscreen TV in the corner, and whatever channel it was showed American films with Swedish subtitles. The sound was a bit too quiet for me to hear the English so I just had to listen carefully and infer what the Swedish subtitles were saying.

So anyway, The Green Mile was on, and I'd not seen it before. That botched dry sponge execution scene fucking messed me up. No surprise that it's the third highest rated death on http://www.moviedeaths.com

gregors666
Warrior of Metal

Postby gregors666 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:37 pm

Applecore wrote:Lovefilm rentals:
Rottweiler - Brian Yuzna (Return of the Living Dead 3, Bride of/Beyond Re-Animator, The Dentist, Society)'s film about a dog so badly abused that it has to undergo surgery which replaces most of its body with metal. Then robodog goes on a killing spree, or something?

Collateral - Tom Cruise, hitman, Jamie Foxx, I don't know, I've not watched it yet.

You got Rottweiler from LoveFilm? Wow. I used to be a member about a 2 years ago and you couldnt get anything like that back then.

I watched Punisher : Warzone last night. Quite good.
Im Martin from Grange Over Sands.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:05 pm

gregors666 wrote:You got Rottweiler from LoveFilm? Wow. I used to be a member about a 2 years ago and you couldnt get anything like that back then.

Yeah they've got a brilliant load of films now! My rentals have included Bride of Re-Animator, Raiders of the Living Dead, Shark Attack 3..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:09 pm

im incredibly not happy right now. they gone amessed up the Kayne and Lynch film

Bruce Willis has signed on for the film as the role of Kane and Jamie Foxx recently signed up for the role of Lynch. Kyle Ward has revealed on his Twitter account that Jamie Foxx has signed to play Lynch

just why? why change the race of one of the main characters? is the filming industry so afraid of putting two white leads on the same screen together?

necrochrist
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby necrochrist » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:49 pm

watched Boondock Saints 2 last night. no where near as amazing as the first one, but sets up nicely for a badboy third one.
x