movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Applecore
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Applecore » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:54 pm

RedTeamWins wrote:Just got back form seeing kick Ass. It was... well, pretty kick ass.
Probably one of the best films I've seen for a long time :)

Also got a ticket to go see Michael Moore's latest escapade, even if it does look to even more communist-tastic republican bashing than the previous ones were. Going to an indy cinema by myself to see an anti-capitalist documentary, fuck yeah I'm cool :eyes:

Wear a red beret, or you're not doing it right.
Also, Kick-Ass is amazing.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:04 pm

I'll take some bongos and I'll fit right in 8)

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:37 pm

SHUTTER ISLAND

Maybe I've just seen too many films and read too many books but I'd guessed the outcome of Shutter Island after about ten minutes. The little details were all filled in at the end but otherwise the whole thing was about as surprising as an episode of Last of the Summer Wine.
That's not to say it was a bad film - in fact it features some of Scorsese's best work. The claustrophobic paranoia built very nicely throughout the film and the acting (especially from Sir Ben Kingsley) was first rate.
The editing and continuity, however, was a totally different story. Was the film put together by first time film students? The way some scenes haphazardly collided with each other was clumsy and shambolic, sometimes bordering on American soap opera bad. Sometimes even worse.
You just don't expect that kind of sloppiness in a Scorsese movie. His ardent defenders will no doubt try and justify it by saying the editing was given a deliberately disjointed feel to complement the nature of the film. I say bollocks. I can tell bad editing when I see it.
Overall, it was a decent film but I was left filled with an empty, seen-it-all-before feeling but I imagine the fault for that doesn't lie with Scorsese but with the author of the source material.

7/10
Last edited by Darkweasel on Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:42 pm

Really, really need to get round to seeing that. It's one of those films that everyone says they want to go see but when it comes down to it, it never happens.

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:23 pm

Just watched: Passchendaele - Canadian movie about the infamous WW1 battle. A bit hamfisted in places - one scene in particular - but engaging and the climactic battle scene is genuinely grim and brutal.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:43 pm

Darkweasel wrote:SHUTTER ISLAND

imagine the fault for that doesn't lie with Scorsese but with the author of the source material.

7/10

I didn't like the book much, and didn't finish it. I'd read all the other Denis LeHane books (Mystic River and the series that ended with Gone Baby Gone) but thought that the pychological edge to it wasn't written well.

Watched Milk last night, which was pretty good.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:52 pm

Ensorcelled wrote:What the fuck happened to Saturday Night Shocks on Film 4? :(

I could've sworn I saw an advert for it last night..?
Anyway for the next week at the very least it's The British Connection.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:57 pm

Mehhh, it's not like they show anything remotely shocking there anymore anyway. They just slap any old subpar horror film on there now.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:02 am

Ensorcelled wrote:Mehhh, it's not like they show anything remotely shocking there anymore anyway. They just slap any old subpar horror film on there now.

Didn't they start it off with Wolf Creek? Surefire way to fail right there..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

uber_scran
Consort of the Beast

Postby uber_scran » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:28 am

RedTeamWins wrote:Just got back form seeing kick Ass. It was... well, pretty kick ass.

Also got a ticket to go see Michael Moore's latest escapade, even if it does look to even more communist-tastic republican bashing than the previous ones were. Going to an indy cinema by myself to see an anti-capitalist documentary, fuck yeah I'm cool :eyes:

His film despite what it is called, is anything but anti-capitalist as it attacks the type of aggresive free market capitalism we have today in the west and so leads to the idea that a more restrained, state centred form of capitalism would be better and so he is a reformist not a revolutionary. Because American political culture is generally more conservative than Europe, Moore stands out as particularly radical when in the grand scheme of things there is nothing radical about him. He describes a grave situation yet prescribes the Democrats as a remedy.

But don't get me wrong I do enjoy his films. Bowling for Columbine was excellent.

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:06 pm

Just watched - UP. Not Pixar's finest work but worthy of the name.

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:06 pm

uber_scran wrote:

His film despite what it is called, is anything but anti-capitalist as it attacks the type of aggresive free market capitalism we have today in the west and so leads to the idea that a more restrained, state centred form of capitalism would be better and so he is a reformist not a revolutionary. Because American political culture is generally more conservative than Europe, Moore stands out as particularly radical when in the grand scheme of things there is nothing radical about him. He describes a grave situation yet prescribes the Democrats as a remedy.

But don't get me wrong I do enjoy his films. Bowling for Columbine was excellent.

I wouldn't have expected him to do anything other than suggest moderate reform as he's already seen as a joke by practically everyone who dosen't already agree with him. I expect the film will mostly consist of 'well it works in Europe', which is basically what he did in Sicko.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:19 pm

ok here is the new Resident Evil Afterlife trailer and OMG!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQIwVXPrw4M

i dont know if i should be annoyed or incredibly pissed off. they have just taken everything from Resident Evil 5 and then tried to use it in the fucked up story line for the films. while i liked the fact the guy with the giant axe is in the film, he was no where near that tall and they have made Wesker superhuiman like in the game so i expect them to leave out how he became superhuman. oh and the infected from Resi5 are in their as well. whats the fucking point in basing a film on a computer game franchise if your just gonna pick the best bits and then fuck it up.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:20 pm

Luke_X wrote:ok here is the new Resident Evil Afterlife trailer and OMG!!

i dont know if i should be annoyed or incredibly pissed off. they have just taken everything from Resident Evil 5 and then tried to use it in the fucked up story line for the films. while i liked the fact the guy with the giant axe is in the film, he was no where near that tall and they have made Wesker superhuiman like in the game so i expect them to leave out how he became superhuman. oh and the infected from Resi5 are in their as well. whats the fucking point in basing a film on a computer game franchise if your just gonna pick the best bits and then fuck it up.

But it has flying sunglasses. :o

andeh
Denim Demon

Postby andeh » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:24 pm

Luke_X wrote:ok here is the new Resident Evil Afterlife trailer and OMG!!

That looks really, really cheesy. I don't know if it's the slo mo or what but something about that just looks dreadful. Mila Jovovich looks better each time I see her though....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBv4AsGV ... r_embedded

Arnie reviews the new Predators trailer