movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Soze
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Soze » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:22 am

Watched a few films recently...

Them!...which was the first `horror` film I ever watched as a kid and as such one I had nostalgic memories for. Had never seen it since. It`s pretty hokey ( a 1954 B movie about giant ants is always going to be! ) but stands up pretty well overall...reminded me a little of a 1960`s Dr Who story.

Up was wonderful, a charming, moving and funny movie that I can see myself re-watching often.

The Imaginarum of Dr Parnussus (sp?) was odd but I expected no less. For the first 45 minutes I wasn`t sure about it and came close to switching off but from there on in I got pulled in and really enjoyed the remainder. No classic but worth watching.

The Pursuit of Happyness was rubbish...picked up a magazine 40 minutes in and switched off altogether after an hour and a bit. Dull, plodding, annoying and miserable film.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:26 am

Luke_X wrote:
clare-l wrote:Joss Whedon is going to direct The Avengers. nerdsquee time.

the one thing thats got me pissed off is that Chris Evans who plays the Human Torch from Fantastic Four is going to be Captain America......why? cant they find anyone else to play him? this is worse then having Ryan Reynolds playing both Deadpool and The Green Lantern and both films are getting released the same year. is the acting pool that dry for super heroes.

although on a good note, The Hulk has been confirmed to be in The Avengers. hopefully it will be the Edward Norton version. so that means that Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow, Nick Fury and Iron Man will all be in The Avengers film. if the Hulk is going to be in it, then we can also assume that Betty Ross and General Ross will also be in it as Nick Fury talks to General Ross at the end of Incredible Hulk. i wonder if Giant Man, Wasp, Black Panther, Wolverine or Storm will be present in the film.

I hope they don`t have too many characters to be honest...although Whedon is good at this sort of multi-character story. I reckon an Avengers with Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk and Nick Fury is enough to be going along with for the debut film...they can always add a couple more for a sequel.

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:44 am

Applecore wrote:
ANDREWHALL28 wrote:it looks like an all out remake of Repo! The Genetic Opera with a highe budget, no songs and doesn't even credit the source material

FYP.

To which i reply Who cares :?

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:01 pm

ANDREWHALL28 wrote:
Applecore wrote:
ANDREWHALL28 wrote:it looks like an all out remake of Repo! The Genetic Opera with a highe budget, no songs and doesn't even credit the source material

FYP.

To which i reply Who cares :?

I do. I loved Repo!
I'll admit Repo Men looks good, and I may even look to see it at the cinema, but if you're going to remake a film, at least credit the original.
I'm sorry, but I see that as a massive "fuck you" to Darren Lynn Bousman, who made a fantastic, refreshing film and has just been ripped off.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:06 pm

Unless the other guy takes it personally , i don't think you should

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:11 pm

I'm not taking it personally, I'm just saying it's a rip-off of Repo! The Genetic Opera. You asked who cares, and at the very least, I do.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:14 pm

Protip: Call him up on the fact that he capitalised the initial letter of 'who', thus turning it into a propper noun and implying that it is in fact Dr. Who who cares.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:45 pm

:lol:
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:22 pm

Applecore wrote:

FYP.

FUCKING.

THIS.

If there ain't no motherfucking "CUT YOUR ASS LIKE A REMBRANDT, HAH, YOU LIKE THAT?" shit ain't worth watching.

YES THIS REQUIRED A BIG FONT.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:37 pm

Soze wrote:
Luke_X wrote:
clare-l wrote:Joss Whedon is going to direct The Avengers. nerdsquee time.

the one thing thats got me pissed off is that Chris Evans who plays the Human Torch from Fantastic Four is going to be Captain America......why? cant they find anyone else to play him? this is worse then having Ryan Reynolds playing both Deadpool and The Green Lantern and both films are getting released the same year. is the acting pool that dry for super heroes.

although on a good note, The Hulk has been confirmed to be in The Avengers. hopefully it will be the Edward Norton version. so that means that Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow, Nick Fury and Iron Man will all be in The Avengers film. if the Hulk is going to be in it, then we can also assume that Betty Ross and General Ross will also be in it as Nick Fury talks to General Ross at the end of Incredible Hulk. i wonder if Giant Man, Wasp, Black Panther, Wolverine or Storm will be present in the film.

I hope they don`t have too many characters to be honest...although Whedon is good at this sort of multi-character story. I reckon an Avengers with Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk and Nick Fury is enough to be going along with for the debut film...they can always add a couple more for a sequel.

it would make sense for them to keep it small, but i guess on where the story goes and how long they want the film to be. i know they wantesd to include Tim Roth as The Abomination again as like a possible small foe or just there to create some small story. as far as im aware this is suppose to focus on the villain for the current Iron Man films as well as possibly going to the villain from Incredible Hulk (the one with the giant brain). just as long as they dont use the alien storyline to set them up as that would conradict the realism from the solo films.

on another note, watch Universal Soldier: Regeneration. i was expecting another direct to DVD TV made movie and i was shocked to see quite an impressive film and story. Dolph wasnt in it long enough and unless you had seen the first Universla Soldier film you wouldnt have gotten all the references that were made. it stayed completely true to the first film with how the unisols acted and reacted to war scenarios and ends openly so the possibility of a final 5th film is there. a good action flick with plenty of violence and gore (some scnes are very graphic but they are few)

Dan Jenkins
Denim Demon

Postby Dan Jenkins » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:29 am

Last edited by Dan Jenkins on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deeno
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby deeno » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:01 am

Watched - Bunny and the Bull last night .

Superb British film , a guy who hasn't left his flat in 12 months relives the holiday he took with his friend Bunny just over a year earlier . Some stunning visuals and great cameos from The Mighty Boosh lot and Richard Ayoade. A great directing debut from Paul King who did work on the Boosh and also Garth Marenghi . A hilarious film - brilliant 8.5/10 :yes:

clare-l
Denim Demon

Postby clare-l » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:42 pm

After seeing the trailers for Clash of the Titans I thought "where could they go wrong with that cast and greeks?!"

After seeing Clash of the Titans, I realise that they could go very very wrong. Biggest disappointment ever.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:01 pm

Crank 2 - a film that could only be enjoyed by the mildly retarded
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

foxi
Leather Rebel

Postby foxi » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:02 pm

Watched Role Models earlier. Don't watch many films, but I thought it was quite good.