movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
The Binkster
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Location: In A World Of Magnets And Miracles/The Hampshire Hills Near Winchester-Town

Re: movies

Postby The Binkster » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:25 pm

Luke_X wrote:
MetalBeast wrote:
This looks pretty funny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD0gm7dHKKc

while it does looks good, and most people will go to laugh at all the stupid people going brat brat every 5 seconds, im gonna end up wanting to punch somoene for them abusing the english language. but saying that, id still watch it.

Directed by Joe Cornish. I'm definitely seeing it.

It's this that's exciting me most,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctcURFb7XE4

Ellen Page is just too adorable.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:27 pm

The Binkster wrote:
Luke_X wrote:
MetalBeast wrote:
This looks pretty funny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD0gm7dHKKc

while it does looks good, and most people will go to laugh at all the stupid people going brat brat every 5 seconds, im gonna end up wanting to punch somoene for them abusing the english language. but saying that, id still watch it.

Directed by Joe Cornish. I'm definitely seeing it.

It's this that's exciting me most,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctcURFb7XE4

Ellen Page is just too adorable.

i highly doubt its her adorability that your excited about haha

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:48 pm

what a bloody powerful film, Caine in one of his best acted roles surely ?

9/10

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:34 pm

Just watched: Jackass 3
In which idiots hurt themselves for our entertainment.
In retrospect, watching it whilst eating my tea was a bad idea.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:41 am

FIELD OF DREAMS.

I've avoided this film for the last twenty years because I thought a film about America's national pastime was going to be just as fiercely patriotic in it's own way as something like Battle: Los Angeles or Armageddon, and because American sports movies play to a certain type of audience. And I for one, find baseball films (with the exception of Major League) dull and pointless.
And while, to a point I was correct about the all-american aspect, it was still a fantastic film that I'm now kicking myself for waiting so long to see.

Kevin Costner (before drivel like The Postman) plays an Iowa farmer who hears a voice in the cornfields telling him to build a baseball pitch. The ghost of long-dead baseball player Shoeless Joe Jackson (Ray Liotta) appears and he, and a few of his other dead chums return to play on the newly built field, but are only visible to Costner and his family.
Costner then gets led by the voice to the seemingly disparate James Earl Jones and Burt Lancaster before returning home to face his own past.

A great, "nice" film without any bad language or violence, but with some great acting (especially from Lancaster), engaging characters and a good story.
And you don't even have to know anything about baseball either.
9/10

kle110
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby kle110 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:11 pm

Watched Perfume last night. I think it's the weirdest film I've ever seen in my life. Made from the Jean-Baptiste novel, something about him having an amazing sense of smell, becomes a murderer and smells dead women etc. The ending completely fucked my mind..

bisto
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby bisto » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:14 pm

Tetsuo The Iron Man

Apologies if this has already been reviewed.

Basically this is a 1989 Japanese cyberpunk film by film director Shinya Tsukamoto. Its an extremely graphic, highly stylised, low budget fantasy shot entirely in black and white and set in modern day Japan. The main character (a businessman played by cult actor Taguchi Tomorowo), and his girlfriend try to cover up a hit and run after they knock down a man (who is suffering from what I can only describe as an extreme form of self mutilating Metal Fetishism) by dumping the body into a ravine. He is in fact still alive and watches them as they have sex.

As previously mentioned its shot entirely in black and white and there are (for the time) some very original and effective uses of camera angles, time lapse and speeded up footage shot in 16mm (but with the feel of Super 8 ) If you put a young John Carpenter, David Lynch, Cronenberg, Clive Barker, William Gibson and Ridley Scott in a room together over a late night game of Poker with a case of Absinthe they might have come up with a similar albeit Westernised version) and an Industrial metal score (which sounds like Trent Reznor and Al Jorgensen have been let loose in the BBC Radiophonic workshop) The dialogue is very sparse and there are only 6 characters in the entire film.

What follows is one of the weirdest, fucked up films I've ever seen. There are some very disturbing and graphic scenes of sexual fetishism/mutilation and dismemberment (Cannibal Corpse have probably written a song about the subject)

The plot unfolds through a series of flash backs, fast forwards and dream/nightmare sequences as the Metal Fetishist (in various guises) chases the businessman through a Distopian vision of modern Japan: a labyrinth of underground tunnels and corridors, decaying scrap yards, tons of abandoned and broken machines and rusting iron, miles of rotting cables and the entirely unpopulated streets of Urban sprawl as both mutate into extreme and psychotic lo-tech metal versions of The Borg from Star Trek and lose almost every last recognisable vestige of humanity in the process. After a brief fight they merge into a two headed 12 foot high moving junkyard. The metamorphosis/assimilation seems to unite them in a hatred for a Humanity that they have by now left totally behind and the film ends with them charging through the streets of Japan vowing to turn the world into rusted metal.

Can't believe its been almost 20 years since I saw this. :o This is only the 2nd time I've watched it from beginning to end and its even more fucked up than I remember it being. Having said that its a great piece of low budget film making! I didn't realise there are now two sequels. I'm not sure if I want to risk these...the law of diminishing returns and all that. Anybody here who can recommend them or not?
Last edited by bisto on Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:22 pm

I've got one of the sequels (the first one - Body Hammer I think it's called?) on DVD, along with The Iron Man. Not gotten around to watching it yet though.. I have to be in the right mood to watch foreign films, and another mood to watch surrealist bizarrefests, so it's pretty rare that the two overlap :/
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

gumpy87
Denim Demon

Postby gumpy87 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:49 pm

Tetsuo The Iron Man is one of my favourite films, both sequels are nowhere near as good
By this axe I rule

bisto
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby bisto » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:25 pm

gumpy87 wrote:Tetsuo The Iron Man is one of my favourite films, both sequels are nowhere near as good

It is a great film of the genre and its made me want to check out some more surrealist films. Been meaning to revisit Cronos for a while now and have been watching the Tool videos a lot lately (there not the same being stop motion Shorts I know but still quite surrealist and interesting) If anyone could recommend some other good/interesting experimental films I'd be most grateful! I'm not really into Manga though; despite the often highly creative imaginations in evidence I find the generally low production values in Manga animation very unsatisfying and distracting.

Ok, I've just read a synopsis of both the Iron Man sequels although they sound more like reworkings of the original than sequels as such. The Bodyhammer looks intriguing enough to take a punt on but I will lower my expectations. The Bullet Man seems to be an artistic failure from what I've just read.......think I'll avoid it.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:40 pm

ive been struggling to find any kind of'want' to watch the new Green Lantern film aftert the bad first trailer, but now i want to go see it after watching the new footage heavy trailer from Wondercon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnSicg5eRsI

Metal_saddle
Denim Demon

Postby Metal_saddle » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:59 pm

might check out tetsuo
Nightmare world
Reflected as a dream
Vision blurred
This surely cannot be
Twisted now
Far from reality
Delving into depths
Mankind’s depravity

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:37 pm

Just watched:
The Warrior's Way
Assassin deserts his clan when he refuses to kill a baby girl. Heading to America, baby in hand, he ends up in a decaying desert town mostly inhabited by carnies and stashes his sword away in a cupboard. Then a gang of outlaws turn up and things get violent. Oh, by the way, his former clan are still after him.
Essentially: Cowboys v Ninja.

If you took the old Kung-Fu series, Asian swordfight movies and the odder spaghetti westerns, mixed it all together and added a hint of 300 it would look a bit like this. It does seem to work though, and I did enjoy it.

Metal_saddle
Denim Demon

Postby Metal_saddle » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:22 pm

watched sexy beast the other night, great film, esp ben kingsley
Nightmare world
Reflected as a dream
Vision blurred
This surely cannot be
Twisted now
Far from reality
Delving into depths
Mankind’s depravity

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:02 pm

Just seen SuckerPunch - it's pretty good for a switch-your-brain-off kinda movie. Easy enough to follow and visually stunning. Plus I don't think there was a bad looking female anywhere in it.
However about 5/10 mins before the end, it fucks with the timeline a little. It confused me a bit, but I'm sure with a re-watch it'll make more sense. Really hope the director's cut comes out on dvd around the same time as the general release, as that should be awesome.
7/10
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock