movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Bisset
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Bisset » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:40 pm

New trailer for The Hobbit 2: Hobbit Harder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPVWy1tFXuc

Some of the CGI looks a bit shit
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:21 pm

I prefer this trailer to the previous one but it still doesn't fill me with anywhere near the anticipation I felt with the LOTR films.
I was really looking forward to The Hobbit this time last year but ended up being completely underwhelmed by the whole thing, and the prospect of sitting through Peter Jackson's quest to keep Orlando Bloom in work isn't made any better by this Legoland heavy advert.

With an approximate 6hrs of Hobbity shenanigans still to come, Jackson is in serious danger of completely missing the point of his own project. The Hobbit was a little children's book and LOTR was an epic of... well, epic proportions. By the time he's stuck in all the extra bits for the DVD/Blu-ray releases for The Hobbit, the LOTR trilogy will have completely lost all sense of scale and won't be anywhere near as grand when viewed in order.

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:43 pm

Darkweasel wrote:the prospect of sitting through Peter Jackson's quest to keep Orlando Bloom in work isn't made any better by this Legoland heavy advert.

Sorry I stopped reading after this because I was laughing too hard at that phrase
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:16 pm

The Internship

Vince Vaughan and Owen Wilson play two unemployed salesmen who sign up for an internship at Google.
They know nothing about technology but manage to join up, are predicatably thrown in with the team of social outcasts, and the film becomes Old School with iPads almost immediately.

Having to win a series of challenges, a bad guy with an English accent and his team of cherry-picked team-mates look set to win. But of course this is a Hollywood formula comedy (complete with now apparently compulsory Will Ferrell guest spot) so we know different.

The Internship isn't without its charm and it actually does succeed in being as funny as it is obvious. However, the one thing you just can't escape is that you're basically watching a two hour advertisement/recruitment drive for Google.

Each scene is filled with brand names and sub... no, just plain old liminal advertising by companies lined up with their cheque books out to be name-checked, silently advertised, or referenced for two hours. Somehow, the film manages to go way beyond standard product placement and into a territory made up of something entirely new and altogether more cynical.

Marketing, promotion and corporate synergy dressed up as a movie.
Entertaining on the outside, but deeply unpleasant when you look inside.
5/10
Last edited by Darkweasel on Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:20 pm

New Schwarzenegger and Stallone film looks a bit good. Definitely looking forward to seeing that.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:37 pm

Darkweasel wrote:The Internship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqBLBqM7B4Q

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:41 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:02 am

Saw Metallica: Through the Never in IMAX. WOW.
The 'story' is barely more than an extended music video interspersed with the concert footage, it's mildly interesting, but I think I wouldn't have missed it if it wasn't there. But what this is really is, is a concert. Filmed in Canada last year, with what is probably one of the best stage shows I've ever seen, I reckon matching Rammstein for sheer spectacle!
The 3D is perfect and well edited, really capturing the energy, and there is plenty of that. The band were on form, and clearly loving it all! The best thing though is the sound! The sound in the IMAX was phenomenal. I hope more bands go down the route of recording for IMAX as it's the perfect platform for well edited concert footage!
I want to go again!

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:49 am

I disagree.

I thought the stage show wasn't all it's cracked up to be. I felt the general set up was a bit dull, but then that's largely down to the 360 degrees gimmick of the stage, but it felt to me like they just wapped out props as token gestures. I just didn't feel anything at all all the way through, no excitement, no energy.

The 3D was pretty pointless, as was it being shown in IMAX. It wasn't filmed in IMAX as it was letter boxed when we saw it and didn't utilise the whole of the screen. There's certain specifications for IMAX, and the aspect ratio is a part of that. (this was 2.35:1, Imax is 1.44:1) It was literally just being shown on a massive screen. The 3D didn't add much either, the odd lightening bolt flying at you, or the odd hand waving infront of you to make you feel in a crowd, but as soon as you get something out of focus, the 3D effect is ruined. There just wasn't the scope in size to really warrant the perception of depth to be increased. My mate who I went with really enjoyed it, but even he said there was no reason for it to be in either 3d or on an IMAX screen, especially as it cost a fortune to see it in IMAX, and wasn't filmed in IMAX.
The other thing they bang on about is the Dolby Atmos Mix, but there's only 1 theatre in the whole of the UK with Dolby Atmos Set Up, so no one really got the full benefit of the mix unless you saw it at the Empire in Leicester Square, which doesn't currently have an IMAX screen. (Though I understand they are in the process of converting it.) So no where in the UK can you see it the way it was intended, IMAX+Dolby Atmos. But as said, it doesn't matter so much as it wasn't filmed in IMAX anyway.

However I agree the story was shit. Though someone pointed out he's called Trip, he goes on a Trip, and takes a pill before he goes, so it's entirely possible it's Trip Tripping on a Trip. But even so, that just seems a really lazy way of explaining the lack of continuity, and the complete ridiculousness of the story.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:50 pm

I hate how much I quite like Pacific Rim.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:05 pm

AnnihiSlateR wrote:I disagree.

I thought the stage show wasn't all it's cracked up to be. I felt the general set up was a bit dull, but then that's largely down to the 360 degrees gimmick of the stage, but it felt to me like they just wapped out props as token gestures. I just didn't feel anything at all all the way through, no excitement, no energy.

The 3D was pretty pointless, as was it being shown in IMAX. It wasn't filmed in IMAX as it was letter boxed when we saw it and didn't utilise the whole of the screen. There's certain specifications for IMAX, and the aspect ratio is a part of that. (this was 2.35:1, Imax is 1.44:1) It was literally just being shown on a massive screen. The 3D didn't add much either, the odd lightening bolt flying at you, or the odd hand waving infront of you to make you feel in a crowd, but as soon as you get something out of focus, the 3D effect is ruined. There just wasn't the scope in size to really warrant the perception of depth to be increased. My mate who I went with really enjoyed it, but even he said there was no reason for it to be in either 3d or on an IMAX screen, especially as it cost a fortune to see it in IMAX, and wasn't filmed in IMAX.
The other thing they bang on about is the Dolby Atmos Mix, but there's only 1 theatre in the whole of the UK with Dolby Atmos Set Up, so no one really got the full benefit of the mix unless you saw it at the Empire in Leicester Square, which doesn't currently have an IMAX screen. (Though I understand they are in the process of converting it.) So no where in the UK can you see it the way it was intended, IMAX+Dolby Atmos. But as said, it doesn't matter so much as it wasn't filmed in IMAX anyway.

However I agree the story was shit. Though someone pointed out he's called Trip, he goes on a Trip, and takes a pill before he goes, so it's entirely possible it's Trip Tripping on a Trip. But even so, that just seems a really lazy way of explaining the lack of continuity, and the complete ridiculousness of the story.

But that's the best use of 3D. When it just uses it to immerse you in the experience, rather than throwing shit at you, which bores the shit out of me. I didn't actually realise it wasn't filmed in IMAX tbh, but even so, being on a massive screen was good enough for me, it cost me less than most people pay to see a standard 2D movie, so I ain't fussed about that.
All I can say is that I loved it!

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:18 pm

How much did it cost you out of interest? It cost me £10.80 with a student ticket, but my mate paid £15 over. Usually it would cost me £6.50 at my local cinema.

Also some of the 3D was stuff flying at you. I just didn't find it particularly immersive. You watch a film like Life of Pi, and the vastness of the ocean is better conveyed with the third dimension (or rather the depth of a stereoscopic image, as no film has ever not tried to portray a third dimension.), but with this it was just the foreground. There was a scene where it looked like Kirk was stood right behind lars, even though he was clearly at the other side of the stage, and I think it was because there was depth to the front of the stage, the lack of focus at the back lead to the depth not being there, and by contrast making it come across even more squashed than it should have.
Perhaps you think I'm being persnickety, but I really didn't have much positive to say about the film at all.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:18 pm

Applecore wrote:I hate how much I quite like Pacific Rim.

Really? I saw this for the first time last night and thought it was terrible. An hour of cardboard cut out characters wading through a cliche ridden 'by numbers' toys for boys plot. Followed by an incredibly tedious hour of darkened computer images punching each other. It was one of the dullest things I've seen in ages.

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:18 pm

AnnihiSlateR wrote:How much did it cost you out of interest? It cost me £10.80 with a student ticket, but my mate paid £15 over. Usually it would cost me £6.50 at my local cinema.

£4.14, and I'll get 10% back on quidco :)

Cineworld unlimited for the win...also get 25% off food and drink...+10% back on quidco. I'm tempted to just go there on a booze night one day :p

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:56 pm

Soze wrote:
Applecore wrote:I hate how much I quite like Pacific Rim.

Really? I saw this for the first time last night and thought it was terrible. An hour of cardboard cut out characters wading through a cliche ridden 'by numbers' toys for boys plot. Followed by an incredibly tedious hour of darkened computer images punching each other. It was one of the dullest things I've seen in ages.

That.