movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Applecore
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Applecore » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:04 pm

Just got back from Escape Plan.
Sly makes a living out of breaking out of prison (under employ of the "Federal Bureau of Prisons", which I don't think is a real thing). After a successful bust out, he's invited to a meeting with a pretty CIA girl who wants him to test a prison that's basically Guantanamo Bay without wanting to say it's Guantanamo Bay. He accepts and soon finds out it's not quite as simple as he's used to.
There he meets Arnie, who's in for not telling the warden where his mate is. They become BFFLs and work on busting out.

This is a movie that knows it's cool. It doesn't take itself seriously and doesn't pass up an opportunity to crack a joke. You could say it's 20/25 years too late, and in a way you'd be right. But you've got it now, so bloody well go and enjoy it.

8/10
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:15 am

Just back from Thor The Dark World. I won't say too much but it is a lot grander in scale, epicness and emotion. An all round satisfying film miles superior to IM3. Also, for those expecting the usual post credit scene.......this time there are 2!

9/10

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:57 am

GetToTheChoppar
Denim Demon

Postby GetToTheChoppar » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:25 am

Applecore wrote:Just got back from Escape Plan.
Sly makes a living out of breaking out of prison (under employ of the "Federal Bureau of Prisons", which I don't think is a real thing). After a successful bust out, he's invited to a meeting with a pretty CIA girl who wants him to test a prison that's basically Guantanamo Bay without wanting to say it's Guantanamo Bay. He accepts and soon finds out it's not quite as simple as he's used to.
There he meets Arnie, who's in for not telling the warden where his mate is. They become BFFLs and work on busting out.

This is a movie that knows it's cool. It doesn't take itself seriously and doesn't pass up an opportunity to crack a joke. You could say it's 20/25 years too late, and in a way you'd be right. But you've got it now, so bloody well go and enjoy it.

8/10

Saw it on Tuesday, it's pretty much exactly what I expected so I loved it!
Turbo wrote:Move on, fuck her off. Smoke crack and worship satan.

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:11 am

Luke_X wrote:Just back from Thor The Dark World. I won't say too much but it is a lot grander in scale, epicness and emotion. An all round satisfying film miles superior to IM3. Also, for those expecting the usual post credit scene.......this time there are 2!

9/10

I think I preferred Iron Man 3 tbh. Thor TDW was good, about on a level with the first Thor film; the scenes with Thor and Loki were brilliant, but I thought Malekith was a bit of a crap and dull character. Good fun, but not blown away 7.5/10

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:39 pm

Evil Dead (remake) - was pretty good. Probably one scariest films in recent years although I found myself cringing more at the gore than being scared. Well acted and I found Mia to be a worthy heroine by the end. I'm now of the thought this actually more a sequel than remake. There are a few things like Ash's car that imply he has already been there. So that makes me hopeful for the mentioned 'team up' movie if they ever get round to AoD2 or ED2 first. I knee the post credit scene was coming and what it would be but I was a little disappointed. I still wanted to see more of Bruce as Ash so come on Sam and make it already!. I'd give it a good 8/10 with plenty of potential.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:37 pm

Thor 2 was excellent, only let down by a crappy villain. Still a very good movie though.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:58 pm

Absolutely loved the new Thor movie. Enormous fun. I'd recommend waiting for the mid credit scene but not the final one!

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:54 pm

Soze wrote:Absolutely loved the new Thor movie. Enormous fun. I'd recommend waiting for the mid credit scene but not the final one!

1 down 5 to go! I had a strong suspicion we might have seen a glimpse of them in Thor (as it's all space). I am pumped for next year's Marvel films. Winter Soldier looks like it could be an amazing spy thriller and GotG I'm just getting more and more excited about.

There is one scene I wanna talk about but it might ruin it for others so I'll wait till it's had a good cinema run.

The Thor films are proving to be my favourite of all the Marvel films so far.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:48 am

Just seen Gravity - visually stunning flick, only slightly bogged down by musings on life and death in the middle.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:25 pm

THOR 2

Like the other Marvel adaptations? Watch it.
Didn't? Then don't.

The good points:
Fast-paced.
Great action sequences.
Lots of fun with some nice one-liners.
Tom Hiddlestone.
Stan Lee's cameo.

The not quite so good points:
Naked Stellan Skarsgard.
Kat Dennings.
Not enough Ray Stevenson.
Christopher Ecclestone's evil elf.

8.5/10

Cthulhu
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Cthulhu » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:33 pm

Saw the new riddick film, enjoyed the other two...which was handy as it's basically exactly the same film as the first one.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Delightful-Jim wrote:Rule #1 of the bloodstock forums : If it exists, someone here will despise it.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:37 pm

Darkweasel wrote:THOR 2

Not enough Ray Stevenson.

Hopefully more of him in Thor 3 but weren't they filming this while he was filming Dexter? Loved Idris Elba in it though. He had a healthy amount of screen time.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:00 pm

BIG ASS SPIDER!

Greg Grunberg (the fat one from Heroes), Claire (Glory from Buffy) Kramer, Ray (Twin Peaks) Wise, and some Mexican bloke take on an alien spider GROWING AT AN EXPONENTIAL RATE. Wittier than most cheap creature features, this one falls somewhere between Piranhaconda, Mega Python vs Gatoroid, and Sharknado for levels of enjoyment.

Kramer looks tidy in her uniform, Wise looks like he's enjoying the whole thing way too much, Grunberg is fat but still runs around a lot, the Mexican speaks in a Mexican accent with the sound of Mexican music in the background to remind you in a non-racist comedy way that he's Mexican, Lloyd (Troma) Kaufman gets eaten, and lots of CGI buildings get destroyed by more CGI.

Basically it's exactly what you'd expect but actually quite a bit funnier. I particularly liked how they used the CGI to make the creature look stop-motion animated like it would have been years ago. It gives the creature a real retro look even though it's brand new.

And when you realise that the most unrealistic thing about the whole film is the Kramer/Grunberg love story but you still forgive it, then it's not been 1hr 20mins entirely wasted.

6.5/10

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:56 am

RED 2

More high speed, double-crossing, wisecracking Bourne meets Bond with a comic book edge style shenanigans with Messrs Willis, Malkovich, and Mirren (among others).
The story is far too convoluted to go into but suffice to say it was massively enjoyable and easily one of the best action films I've seen in the last couple of years.
8.5/10