movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:58 pm

Luke_X wrote:ive underlined why. they pretty much ignored the mythology from the Alien films and just made them bad b-movies. the second one was a lot better than the first but the actual stories shouldnt have played out like that. the original books/comics/games didnt have all 3 races meeting until the future which is where the films should have been set. not present day in some hick town where bubba thinks he can shotgun an alien in the face. they pretty much ruined the original story lines set out for the franchise.

By that extension then, you have to agree that Cameron ruined the original premise as far back as 1986. An indestructible killing machine with the ultimate defence mechanism suddenly became handgun fodder.
At what point did the makers say they were going to copy the AvP stories on the original comic books to the letter anyway? Like most things, they took the idea and went off in another direction. If you like the comic books, read them instead. I read the original comic book and liked it but I was grateful the film didn't replicate it.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:35 pm

Darkweasel wrote:
Luke_X wrote:ive underlined why. they pretty much ignored the mythology from the Alien films and just made them bad b-movies. the second one was a lot better than the first but the actual stories shouldnt have played out like that. the original books/comics/games didnt have all 3 races meeting until the future which is where the films should have been set. not present day in some hick town where bubba thinks he can shotgun an alien in the face. they pretty much ruined the original story lines set out for the franchise.

By that extension then, you have to agree that Cameron ruined the original premise as far back as 1986. An indestructible killing machine with the ultimate defence mechanism suddenly became handgun fodder.
At what point did the makers say they were going to copy the AvP stories on the original comic books to the letter anyway? Like most things, they took the idea and went off in another direction. If you like the comic books, read them instead. I read the original comic book and liked it but I was grateful the film didn't replicate it.

i wouldnt say Cameron did that. he evolved the story. can you honestly say that another film following 1 girl fighting a killing machine like the Alien for 2 hours would be fun. that would be taking it in the wrong direction. Aliens allowed for it to focus more on how the Alien lives, hunts and fights and how humanity would typically shoot the shit out of it.

the first AvP film went too much time out of its way to explain the alien and predator mythology plus additionaly killing off Bishop before technology would be aable to theoretically be possible to make clones, hence it shot Aliens in the foot and destroyed the original source material. AvP: Requiem stuck more closely to the oriignal material and got the aliens and predator fighting properly as respresented in the games and books. it was more the place and time, ie.e being Bubba's back yard, that annoyed me more as the AvP mythos is futuristic and not real time.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:21 pm

Luke_X wrote:i wouldnt say Cameron did that. he evolved the story. can you honestly say that another film following 1 girl fighting a killing machine like the Alien for 2 hours would be fun. that would be taking it in the wrong direction.

I would've preferred a film with the same elements as how Aliens turned out but staying truer to Scott's orginal, with the creatures being a damn sight harder to kill.
Don't get me wrong, I fucking love Aliens but I've always tried to view it largely as a standalone film and only partly as a sequel. Cameron created a classic sci-fi thriller but (in my eyes anyway) took too many shortcuts to achieve it.

Cookie_
Denim Demon

Postby Cookie_ » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:10 pm

Watching Corpse Bride. What a good film :)
ImageImageImage

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:23 pm

Just throwing this in here..
I actually quite liked the AvP films (especially Requiem). Didn't take them as sequels to Alien or Predator, but instead took them in as movies where two races of awesome alien bastards meet on Earth and get scrappin' with us Earthlings (who get our arses handed to us in vast quantities). They're dumb B-Movies, and that's what's good about them.

Speaking of dumb B-Movies, I'm watching Feast 2.. sort of. It's not really holding my attention very well, they seem to have lost the batshit nutzoid-ness of the original. That said, I'm only about 20 mins in.

Street Trash, next.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:54 pm

Apparantly going to see Alice in Wonderland this weekend. Should be good.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:15 pm

Gave up on Feast 2, so now watching Street Trash. Close to bailing on this, too..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Postby Littlemissmetal » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:20 pm

Just watched Forrest Gump for the first time properly (seen most of it in bits before but never sat and watched it start to finish.)

Hands down one of the best films I have seen in a very long time :)
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.

Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

necrochrist
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby necrochrist » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:01 pm

hopefully guna get tickets for Alice In Wonderland at the IMAX. cant wait film looks so good. n ma boy jony ross ses so, n hes not often wrong :)
x

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:01 am

Just watched The Hurt Locker.
If Avatar beats this at the Oscars then there's just no point in the Oscars any more.

deeno
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby deeno » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:40 am

Applecore wrote:Gave up on Feast 2, so now watching Street Trash. Close to bailing on this, too..

:o Street Trash is a classic - still have it on video :)

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:44 am

deeno wrote:
Applecore wrote:Gave up on Feast 2, so now watching Street Trash. Close to bailing on this, too..

I would've loved it if Troma made it, but they didn't (however the guy who played the Mayor from The Toxic Avenger and the Foreman in Class of Nuke 'em High was in it). I like my films like that to have that Troma feeling, where it's completely over the top but with buckets of gore. Street Trash tried, I'll give it that, but it didn't quite get it right. That said, the melt effects were quite impressive.

Anyway, after giving up on that, I went and watched Eagle vs. Shark. I love that film :)
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

deeno
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby deeno » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:55 am

Applecore wrote:
deeno wrote:

I would've loved it if Troma made it, but they didn't (however the guy who played the Mayor from The Toxic Avenger and the Foreman in Class of Nuke 'em High was in it). I like my films like that to have that Troma feeling, where it's completely over the top but with buckets of gore. Street Trash tried, I'll give it that, but it didn't quite get it right. That said, the melt effects were quite impressive.

Anyway, after giving up on that, I went and watched Eagle vs. Shark. I love that film :)

Eagle vs Shark is wonderful :yes: :yes:

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:14 am

Applecore wrote:I would've loved it if Troma made it, but they didn't (however the guy who played the Mayor from The Toxic Avenger and the Foreman in Class of Nuke 'em High was in it). I like my films like that to have that Troma feeling, where it's completely over the top but with buckets of gore. Street Trash tried, I'll give it that, but it didn't quite get it right. That said, the melt effects were quite impressive.

I'd love Street Trash a whole lot more if was about twenty minutes shorter. It takes too long to get going and seriously drags on in places. That said, I must have watched it about ten times.

Now, where did I put that bottle of Viper...?

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:57 pm

Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock