movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Thu May 03, 2012 9:22 am

jamestomo wrote:Yeah i've just googled it, it is only US that got that second scene, yank quim's.

Anyways tonight I watched firstly Jurassic Park- The Lost World.
Still a great film even now, and surprisingly even though it's been years since I've watched it I could remember pretty much all of it as well as some of the things people were about to say :eyes:

Secondly watched Saw II.
I'm not a Saw fan to be honest, I've only ever watched the first one and that's because a friend pretty much forced me to watch it. Anyway me and my Dad decided to watch number 2 tonight and I supposed I did enjoy it, especially because it pretty much constantly kept you wondering what the fuck was going on and even by the end I still was like "LOL WUT?"

The plot in the Saw films really comes into its own from number 3 onwards. The first 2 are almost stand-alone films, but 3-7 may as well just be a TV series. Fantastic films, one of the best film franchises ever for me.

jamestomo
Paster of Muppets

Postby jamestomo » Thu May 03, 2012 9:24 am

Fair enough cheers :yes:

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu May 03, 2012 9:30 am

I honestly think they could've ended it at 3. Don't get me wrong, I like how they continue the story throughout and each ending leaves you wanting to know more, but now instead of being remembered as a few really good thrillers, the franchise is remembered just for the gore.
One thing that really pisses me off with the Saw films is that I have white cases for 1-5 and 7. 6 has a black case.
It looks out of place on my shelf.

Also Saw 5 has a different font on the spine..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Thu May 03, 2012 9:33 am

Applecore wrote:I honestly think they could've ended it at 3. Don't get me wrong, I like how they continue the story throughout and each ending leaves you wanting to know more, but now instead of being remembered as a few really good thrillers, the franchise is remembered just for the gore.
One thing that really pisses me off with the Saw films is that I have white cases for 1-5 and 7. 6 has a black case.

Picky git :lol: Do you have the buzz-saw version of 4? Creates a double space on the shelf :P

In some ways, I do wish they didn't have so much gore in them as they'd appeal to a much wider audience (which they deserve). I mean, I'm sure my parents would love the plots but there is no way they'd cope with that level of gore. They turned off District 9 when I gave it them :lol:

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu May 03, 2012 9:41 am

Johnny Tightlips wrote:
Applecore wrote:I honestly think they could've ended it at 3. Don't get me wrong, I like how they continue the story throughout and each ending leaves you wanting to know more, but now instead of being remembered as a few really good thrillers, the franchise is remembered just for the gore.

Picky git :lol: Do you have the buzz-saw version of 4? Creates a double space on the shelf :P

In some ways, I do wish they didn't have so much gore in them as they'd appeal to a much wider audience (which they deserve). I mean, I'm sure my parents would love the plots but there is no way they'd cope with that level of gore. They turned off District 9 when I gave it them :lol:

I do, but I had to take the slip-case off to save room on the shelf (plus, instead of making it a double-wide spine, it just had the spine and then a blank, white bit the same size as a dvd case, which pissed me right off).
My rents are the same. I'm sure my Mum would enjoy the first film as she likes gritty crime books, but I'd be afraid to let her watch any more :lol:
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Thu May 03, 2012 12:06 pm

Applecore wrote:I honestly think they could've ended it at 3.

It really should have ended after 3, Jigsaw was dead and it was a nicely triology that had concluded itself neatly. However cos it was making money they had to completely flog it to death with 4 more shit films.

4 to 7 are just full of flashbacks and repetitive scenes....and I like the way he managed to make a seemingly endless amound of audio tapes before he died, he must have been busy! I hate all of 4 to 7, but I think 4 is the worst because it's basically nothing but flashbacks, closely followed by 6, where we're supposed to believe 1 man kidnaps an entire insurance company!

1 was pretty naff, but 2 and 3 are good, 4, 5, 6 and 7 though are some of the worst horror films ever imo.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Thu May 03, 2012 1:28 pm

Watched Old Boy, pretty good I reckon! :)

karmakollapse
Paster of Muppets

Postby karmakollapse » Thu May 03, 2012 1:31 pm

Nantha wrote:Watched Old Boy, pretty good I reckon! :)

Old Boy is utterly amazing. The other vengeance films are good too.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu May 03, 2012 1:44 pm

bloodfiend wrote:6, where we're supposed to believe 1 man kidnaps an entire insurance company!

I never thought of it like that. Fuck.
Movie broken :(
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

GetToTheChoppar
Denim Demon

Postby GetToTheChoppar » Thu May 03, 2012 2:20 pm

Bought Funny People, The Descent and I Love You, Phillip Morris from HMV on the way home. Shall look forward to watching them over my 4 day weekend. :D
Turbo wrote:Move on, fuck her off. Smoke crack and worship satan.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu May 03, 2012 3:08 pm

I had the misfortune of seeing Funny People at the cinema. The full title should've been "Funny People Not Being Funny". Thank fuck we snuck beer into the place!
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

GetToTheChoppar
Denim Demon

Postby GetToTheChoppar » Thu May 03, 2012 3:17 pm

Haha, not a fan then? I've yet to see it, but I like Rogan and Sandler as well as Apatow's other films so it seems like my sort of film.
Turbo wrote:Move on, fuck her off. Smoke crack and worship satan.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu May 03, 2012 3:29 pm

Consider yourself warned :P
To me it felt like they all agreed that, on paper, it was a great idea. But the execution just didn't happen.
Also drink every time someone mentions Seth Rogan being thin.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Thu May 03, 2012 3:37 pm

Applecore wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:6, where we're supposed to believe 1 man kidnaps an entire insurance company!

I never thought of it like that. Fuck.
Movie broken :(

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu May 03, 2012 5:12 pm

Saw is a fantastic thriller movie, the sequels are very meh. Saw 2 is the weakest imo, and 3 rounded things off nively. 4, 5 and 6 are the same story told at different points of view. 7 rounds off the characters from the first film nicely.