movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: movies

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:35 pm

Ghost wrote:Watched incident in a ghostland. Great film.

urgh I hated it - dull, dreary and misogynistic, mind you, you wouldn't really expert anything else from the dork who made Martyrs.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:19 am

Ghost wrote:Darkweasel! Have you seen terrifier?

Yup.
Cheap as chips and it looks it, but gory as absolute fuck. :lol:

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:35 am

Been going through all the Oscar nom'd films recently.

Haven't seen Roma yet.

Black Panther - decent Marvel fare, but wasn't even the second best Marvel film of last year.

A Star is Born - Cooper and Gaga are great, but the whole thing is clichéd as hell and drags on forever.

Green Book - Total Oscar bait in so many ways but still very enjoyable.

The Favourite - Weird in a good way, but falls short.

Bohemian Rhapsody - plays fast and loose with the facts, but is still extremely good. Malek for Best Actor, no question.

BlackKklansman - like Green Book, total Oscar bait but very good. Not one for Trump fans.

Vice - Well acted but overlong and all rather tedious.

Overall, a pretty shit year for the Best Picture category.
Have a feeling it'll either go to Bohemian or Green Book.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:04 pm

Haven't seen any expect black panther and I doubt that would even make my top ten marvel films.
I see the bad moon arising.

some_thing_wild
Paster of Muppets

Postby some_thing_wild » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:22 am

Just subscribed to BFI player. Load of films I need to see on it. Not bad for £4.99 a month

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:49 pm

Whilst watching Excalibur I checked out the cast only to discover that the woman who gets naked with king uther near the start is director John boormans daughter. Bit weird that :lol:
I see the bad moon arising.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:02 pm

So End Game was good. No spoilers, but wow, dat belly.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:35 am

Loved Endgame. Not a lot else one can say without spoilers, haha.

gavdann
Leather Rebel

Postby gavdann » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:52 pm

I watched the first two Avengers movies at the weekend with my son as he wants to see the new one.

I'm probably just an old man but I don't get it. I genuinely love the Dark Knight Trilogy and the Deadpool movies are a giggle but all the others I've seen are so formulaic. It also seems all the actors are competing for screen time, or trying their damned hardest to prove to the others that they're the biggest star. Perhaps the two newest ones are light years better but really?..

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:02 pm

gavdann wrote:I watched the first two Avengers movies at the weekend with my son as he wants to see the new one.

Why the first 2? The third one is the one to watch if you want to see the new one.

gavdann
Leather Rebel

Postby gavdann » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:13 am

bloodfiend wrote:
gavdann wrote:I watched the first two Avengers movies at the weekend with my son as he wants to see the new one.

Why the first 2? The third one is the one to watch if you want to see the new one.

Because I assumed it was a continual 4 part story. We're going to watch the 3rd too but it made sense to start with the first.

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:31 am

The latest one relies a fair bit on the viewer having some sort of knowledge of the previous 21 MCU films. I would say all three Captain Americas and all three Avengers would be the bare minimum, but I'd include Iron Man 3 (and the first two if you have time), and probably Guardians of the Galaxy too. Heck, even Thor 2 (one of the weaker films, sadly) plays an important part in the story.

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:37 am

gavdann wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:

Because I assumed it was a continual 4 part story. We're going to watch the 3rd too but it made sense to start with the first.

Not so much, all the MCU films are a continual story, but in terms of the Avengers films, only the 3rd and 4th are direct sequals.

ie the first Avengers film follows directly from Thor 1, Cap America 1 and Iron Man 2, Age Of Ultron is pretty standalone, Infinity War follows on from Thor Ragnarok, Black Panther, Dr Strange and Guardians 2, and Endgame is a direct sequal to Infinity War.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Wed May 01, 2019 12:32 pm

I much prefer the MCU films to the Dark Knight ones tbh. The third Nolan Batman film was quite ropey. They're just so much more fun and I like an injection of humour in a superhero film.

But just diving in with Avengers 1 & 2, leaving out all the films before and in between, is bound to leave you a bid nonplussed. It would surely be like watching a 13 part TV season but only bothering with episodes 4 & 8 before diving into the 2 part finale?

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Wed May 01, 2019 12:50 pm

Exactly of course its going to seem like all the characters are competing for screen time if you haven't seen the other films, the first Avengers is awesome but won't be anywhere near as enjoyable if you don't know Loki's backstory, know Captain America's history from 70 years ago, know Tony Stark's background, the relationship dynamics between Thor and Loki etc. And Age Of Ultron is one of the weakest MCU movies, so that won't give you a good impression of them. You can't really say those films are wholly representative of the MCU, considering there's so many great stand alone films that are far less stuffed with characters, like Doctor Strange, Guardians, Ant Man etc.